[Step 2] Let's talk about features!

because the further the microphone is from your mouth, the more sensitive it has to be to pick up your voice properly. The more sensitive it is, the more noise it picks up along the way. Even if the microphone is very directional (which I think is hard to do properly in small footprint), it will pick up everything that is in front of you because it has to be directed at your mouth.
I’m by no means a fan of steelseries or razer or any of the other “gamer” crap, but can’t deny this one is a smart microphone design (as long as it doesn’t break):

You just push it in when not using it, so you don’t look like tech support, but when you do use it, you can count on a good voice quality and not worry about external noise too much. After all, these are “noise canceling” headphones so that implies they will be used in noisy environments.

4 Likes

But, as with every boom, they’ll add a load of breathing noise to the audio. Can be lessend somewhat with foam but that’ll require space as well.

I wouldn’t like it. Design wise anyway. And I have no idea about the benefits. As I have no comparison. Most people I call use their build in microphone.
And you can always add a modmic for high boom mic quality

2 Likes

Owning a pair of those headphones, I do like the being able to hide the mic away when I’m not using and overall the mic quality is quite good, far superior to the mic on a Bluetooth set I have that are built into the ear piece. If you position the mic properly when chatting on Discord the breathing noise is not very noticeable unless someone is breathing REALLY hard into the mic.

2 Likes

I’m no expert but check out the plantronics Voyager 8200 uc or sennheiser mb660. Key to these are not only directional mics but noise cancelling mics at that, reducing heavy breathing noises I suspect. I use a set of plantronics for past month or so and no one has complained about the mic quality

1 Like

well, spend some more time with them. If there are people talking all around you, there’s no way to distinguish which one of them is you and which ones should be silenced. The microphone would have to be extremely directional, and then you would need to wear the headset precisely at the right angle for it to catch your voice. noise cancellation works well for static noises, but not for other people talking.
Oh and I’ve been using a $1 microphone from eBay for over a year now, nobody has complained about the quality. But I know it picks up voices from another room quite strongly and in general sounds like a potato. The point is, people are polite and just don’t complain about my equipment.

2 Likes

A friend of mine used an old logitech USB microphone while gaming. This meant we would hear every word in the room, even though we complained he didn’t do anything about it…
So we bought a microphone for him. Neewer nw-700 , cheap ass microphone that comes with everything attached, but it works wonders.

ModMic also works amazingly when it comes to closing out other sounds. But it’s a (detachable) boom. I wouldn’t mind that tbh. I don’t want it, but if it’s in the package then I’m ok with it, or at the least making sure it’s possible to attach the modmic.

AND something else entirely. DBrand skin on the headphones? Anyone?

3 Likes

Hello. Got here from monitors/spectrum. Thought you guys might also be doing headphones. Really happy that you are.

I want to appeal to the eve community please please please (if you end up with a qualcomm chipset) consider opening the on-board DSP equalizer for user configuration. In-device Parametric Equalization ( as provided by the kalimba DSP, if you end up swinging qualcomm ) is a very good way for me to know that even if i don’t like the default tonality of your headphones, I can still configure them to sound the way i like and it also makes the tonality/sound signature portion ( which is the part where only the person talking knows what they’re talking about, unless you follow them actively ) of reviews irrelevant as that can be EQ’d out.

I realized this after owning a pair of Zik 3.0s. For all of it’s faults ( poor padding materials, battery life ) , this is now ( in my mind ) a flagship feature that’s missing from the current selection of headphones ( I’ve been considering multiple pairs, up to and including excessive things like the B&O H9 2019, which also do not have this feature )

It saves me from needing to root my phone or install an awkward virtual audio cable setup on windows for every new device/OS reinstallation.

Additionally, I also want to make a case for a proximity sensor or a hinge disconnect ( like PXC550 ) . The reason this is useful because of desktop. Desktop streams audio and keeps the connection alive (atleast on windows) even if there is no actual audio, meaning that you get consistently short battery life unless you actively remember to turn your headphones off.

5 Likes

ah, I think I’ve seen this nw-700 earlier, but sadly I don’t have enough space on my desk. The arm is really huge and it would also be a bit restricting on how I sit (I would have to adjust it every time I change my pose, which I do quite a lot), so I think a boom mic like Modmic is ideal, but expensive…

1 Like

It’s not the best by far. But the arm is quite small actually. A huge arm would actually gain space. I personally have a Rode Procaster and Rode PSA1 arm. I move it around all the time, with a shockmount and silent arm this is actually what it’s made for. But this set costs over 300 bucks so I wouldn’t recommend it if you don’t need the quality.

actually the tonality would still be very relevant. You can just use an equalizer app on your smartphone or whatever audio source you’re using, it will have the same effect… of course a programmable DSP chip inside the headphones would make it more convenient as you said, but you can’t just transform any headphones into sounding good by equalization. It can provide a minor adjustment, but nothing really significant. In fact, I would prefer Eve not to put any equalization or other DSP in their headphones by default (could be enabled if you want to, just not by default), except noise cancellation, but that should also be possible to disable completely. By completely I mean the sound would either completely bypass the DSP chip or the DSP chip’s output would be identical to the input (very much possible with digital audio, unlike analog).

1 Like

How would a huge arm gain space? :smile: The arm itself takes a lot of space, that’s what I’m worried about. Oh and it doesn’t really blend in nicely with the interior, would drag too much attention. There’s already a 3D printer on my desk, I don’t want my whole room to look like a cluttered workshop :smiley:

The bigger the arm, the further away you can clamp it on your desk.

Neewer has multiple color options btw :stuck_out_tongue: My arm is clamped in the corner of the desk and only comes into play when I need it.

It’s also a great for pet birds to sit near you but won’t shit on you :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey.

That’s what you’d think usually. The equalization apps on your phone or even audio player ( like foobar ) are fixed width, fixed band. They can only do one thing.( well, usually 5, since they have 5 bands ) And they do it rather badly.

I’d liken using the default equalizer to using the headphones bundled with your phone - it works but it’s not a great experience.

Parametric equalization is a different beast entirely. It’s more like a filter you’d find in a DAW. It also gives you ( at least in terms of what’s available on the Kalimba DSP, Anyway ) 5 points however you get significantly more control since you’re in control of the freqency you want to tweak and the width of that band ( the so-called Q ).

If you’ve not tried this an easy way to give it a go is getting EqualizerAPO for windows.

1 Like

Example of noise cancelling mic in action

1 Like

Have you guys thought about magnetically attaching the microphone to the headset? I personally don’t care for removing the microphone, but I know some people here do. The magnets can attach the microphone where it makes pin-contact to metal receptors on the cans.

USB-C charging is an absolute must though, especially with Power Delivery for that extra fast charging. USB-C for audio signal is a nice option for those moments where you’re gaming online and you need to have as little latency as possible. I don’t care much for the 3.5 mm jack since I want to stick to using only USB-C (the cable clutter is so real).

Having come from Logitech G930 headset, I’m glad Muse is going Bluetooth because the 2.4GHz signal on my Logitech kept getting interference from my router and thus kept disconnecting and reconnecting at the most inconvenient times. And hopefully Bluetooth 5.0 doesn’t disappoint with its claims of battery savings and reduced signal latency.

3 Likes

Someone has, and their quality is great!

4 Likes

Looks great, though the price at usd120 is a little steep

Also putting what looks like a stuck on docking nubbin onto your face headphones could be a turn off for some. Ie it spoils the look. Talking of look, some people could still prefer to avoid the boom mic if possible, like with the new bose 700s and sennheiser mb660 for example. The mb660 costs under usd300 and is regarded well sound wise. It will be interesting to see what muse can do against it.

I never said you have to use the “default” equalizer app. Not that I know what phone you’re using and what apps it comes with, anyway… All I was saying is that good audio equipment doesn’t need DSP to sound good and it should be optional.

Don’t forget that headphones won’t have big batteries, so you probably can’t charge them that fast anyway. The maximum charging speed of a lithium battery depends on its capacity, so if the capacity is low enough, you can’t really get past normal charging speed.

1 Like

oh the robot voice. Every time I answer the phone and someone talks like that, the first thing I do is say “turn off your speakerphone, I can’t hear what you’re saying”. That’s right, this “noise canceling” microphone sounds exactly like a nokia 3310 in speakerphone mode. Other videos confirm my guess about it picking up more noise from the front:

Then it tries the stupid “cut out these frequencies because they’re probably not your voice” thing that makes you sound like a robot.
1 Like