[Step 2] Let's talk about features!

Dear community,

Your detailed feedback from the previous step has given us a much better picture of the perfect pair of cans.

It looks like we’ll be creating closed-back, over the ear headphones!

Before going to the next round of voting let’s summarize the results so far. We will also share how we’ve interpreted the survey results.

Summary of Step 1 results

Apart from the type of headphones we’ll be making there are more conclusions to help guide the next step of development. We think the following guidelines should apply:

Wired and wireless

Wireless is the way to go. That said, flexibility is important and if it doesn’t increase the cost too much, it would be great if our headset can be plugged in directly as well. That’s why we’re shooting for a combination of both wired & wireless functionality.

• :+1: That sounds about right
  • :-1: That doesn’t sound right

0 voters

Good sound quality is a must

No matter what kind of headphones we end up making, and no matter the price point, they should have good, balanced sound to please your ears. This cannot be sacrificed.

0 voters

Comfort, even after prolonged use

Headphones may be comfortable for a short while, but after a while they tend to start bothering you. When you feel like you need a break from your headphones, you’re not enjoying them no matter how good the sound is. Comfort is key!

We’re looking to build something that is adjustable so that it fits heads of all sizes. You should be able to enjoy your Eve headphones for extended periods of time without being distracted by tight headbands and ear cups or sweaty ears. Keywords are lightweight, adjustable, breathable. Like wearing two soft clouds connected by a comfortable headband. (We could call them SoundCloud :smiley:)

0 voters

All at a fair price

Looking at the market, the end user price seems to rise hand-in-hand with features and quality. From a manufacturing standpoint however, we see a substantial increase in quality only up to a certain price point after which the cost to manufacture (the bill of materials) doesn’t contribute substantially to the end result. So the headphone market has high margins, especially for feature-rich higher-end headphones that hit all of the above targets.

A lot of that money goes to the various middle men involved. Our goal? Make sure we will get rid of air value and offer our headphones at a fair price. That means margins high enough to cover business expenses, production and warranty service. But not high enough to get everyone on the management team a new sports car!

0 voters

…but still durable

Despite being lightweight and offering great bang for the buck, this pair of cans has to last. Why? Based on the poll people don’t just want to use them at home, but on commutes, at school, at the office, during travel, and more. That means they’re likely to be stuffed inside a bag multiple times a day. They might be bumped or sometimes even fall. They’ll be exposed to sweat, and might be subjected to a rain shower. They have to survive all that!

0 voters

Step 2: Let’s talk about features!

Many of you have mentioned interesting features, from high quality noise canceling mics for crystal clear calls, to multi level ANC to hear your wife (or not :wink:), to smart assistant support. With so many interesting options, it’s important to figure out what features definitely need to be included, what would be nice to have but not essential, and what really isn’t needed and would just add unnecessary cost.

It’s time for you guys to tell us what you think of the following features!

Active noise cancellation to reduce environmental noise

• I must have this feature
  • This feature is nice to have, but not essential to me
  • I don’t care about this feature

0 voters

USB-C for charging

0 voters

USB-C for audio signal

0 voters

3.5mm minijack for audio signal

0 voters

Programmable button

0 voters

Noise cancelling mic(s) for crystal clear calls/gaming

0 voters

AptX, LDAC Bluetooth audio codec (more codecs will be added once we have supplier meeting. Feel free to comment what’s missing below!)

0 voters

Wireless through Bluetooth 5.0

0 voters

Wireless through dedicated (proprietary) USB receiver

0 voters

Water resistance

0 voters

Smart assistant support

0 voters

Foldable design for compact storage

0 voters

Dust resistance

0 voters

Replaceable ear pads

0 voters

Long battery life

0 voters

Smartphone app for settings

0 voters

Is any really important feature missing from this survey? Please let us know in the comments!

Let’s name this project!

Last week we had a last call for project name suggestions, and now it’s time to pick a code name for our headphones project! As a reminder, this name will be used to refer to the crowd development project, the final name will be decided later when we know what the end product will actually be.

• Project: S
  • Project: Euterpe
  • Project: DoReMi
  • Project: Noty
  • Project: Beethoven
  • Project: Muse

0 voters

ODM tour

This week @Xinjie and I are in China, meeting top tier audio ODMs like the ones producing for Sony, Audiotechnika and Bose. We’re Looking forward to sharing some insights with you folks!!

9 Likes

[Step 1] What do we want?
Challenge: Find these headphones!

I feel the first type of questions will not get any negative results…
Also, I “miss” AptX HD and AptX LL as audio codec, which are different codecs

11 Likes

Good point (ill add a note to the poll)! For now it’s ok when we pick final supplier we will make sure to list all codecs available and pick from those.

1 Like

Lets be honest, who would say no to that?

USB-C for charging

What would be the alternative? I dont mind microUSB or wireless charging, as long as its not proprietary.

Ideally I want a USB-C MALE so I could just plug to my phone/laptop without needing a cable, much like the 1st-gen Apple Pencil. Even better if the male connector is removable for USB-C, microUSB, or LIghtning, much like how the V’s charger accommodate various plugs around the world

Long battery life

What do you consider long?

AptX, LDAC Bluetooth audio codec (more codecs will be added once we have supplier meeting. Feel free to comment what’s missing below!)

Can someone here provide a table of what the V supports, the iPhone supports, the Galaxy, etc.

There is no point in voting them if turned out my devices dont even support it

Smart assistant support

With a button or a wake word?

4 Likes

I don’t think many laptop manufacturers provide drivers that support these. Dell is an one exception (that I know) and it only works on few laptops with a specific Intel BT/Wifi card.

Android from 8.0 forward supports APT-X/HD, LDAC, etc. Might vary a little by OEM but most of the big names support all these higher quality codecs. I think these are totally must if you create a BT headphones.

iPhone doesn’t support any of those “special” codecs.

5 Likes

We are making obvious statements here but for example my B&W px90 headphones are in the annoying category even though design is beautiful. So they feel super great for one hour, after that they become a bit uncomfortable and 30 min later intolerable as they fit way too tightly. So we are just verifying that what we say here makes sense and we understood everything correctly:)

As for the USB-C, alternative would be micro-usb or proprietary charger :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Long battery life is >18 hours. We just dont want to mention hours yet so that the same thing as with V doesn’t happen in which hours really depend on the use case. But we will use “competitor hours” meaning what other companies claim to have.

Thanks @inffy

I think both would be great! But we need to check how would wake word affect power consumption.

5 Likes

Looks like most want Bose or Sony WH1000 style headphones which are already available. Eve would need to make something as good or better and be less expensive. Let’s see what happens. These are not want I want or need as I already have. But should mine break or get lost, I might be interested after reading a review in Sound & Vision, HiFi, or another trusted audiophile magazine. :headphones:

Don’t forget to include a hard case, 1/4" phone adapter, plane adapter, and extra pads like some others do.

9 Likes

I see, so its pretty much an Android-only feature from the consumer point of view

0 Likes

I really love my DT770 Pro Headphones from beyerdynamic. They got a good balanced sound and are comfy af even after hours.
Put that with wireless connection and a bit more stylish and we would have a winner for a pretty good headphone if the price is right.
I feel like that the loading option should not add to the price at all. I mean as long as I can load it with a powerbank when I was again too stupid to load it before travelling, it is totally fine.

Another important point is that the biggest problem with headphones is that you need to test them. I tried a lot headphones in my live and most of them were just not good for me.

And please dont fuck up the sound. I want balanced sound to hear all kinds of music and not a bass-boosted-techno-based headphone. We got enough of that on the market. I want to hear every single instrument when listening and not a inaccurate mixture of the whole music.

5 Likes

Definitely, those are very underestimated.

2 Likes

In a sense yes, but iPhone uses AAC which (atleast in some points) cover the same thing than APT-x afaik.

2 Likes

Which one? I could live with micro USB but I definitely won’t buy headphones with a proprietary charger :smiley:

Also regarding water/dust resistance: what kind are we talking about? I don’t need them to be submersible but I’d feel alot better if I can safely use them while it’s raining. And it seems weird that many people don’t care about it much :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Same. I dont want to go swimming with them, but it would be nice that there is no need to hide them from the rain! :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes for earphones and headphones when we talk about water resistance it is not about going swimming or a dive, we generally go up-to IPX5 , it is about in use in daily scenarios. You can read more here:

And it really comes handy in rain .

2 Likes

Programmable Button

It is a dream feature for me, listening to music, podcasts becomes so frustrating whenever you encounters anything new, to add them to playlists or favorites opening app to tap heart button or asking assistants, it becomes really tedious.
Programmable button can be a feature which when experienced you can not go without it, but for it to work it all comes down to it’s integration with apps and services. If limited to some actions then it defeats it’s whole concept. It is all down to how good it can interact with system or what mappings can be performed on it.

2 Likes

Few notes from myself (since I’ve gotten pretty hard into headphones & have researched a bit)

Yes Please? That is something that has been putting of ppl from buying the Bose QuietComfort (they don’t have a USB-C) and it’d be insanely stupid to not use the ‘connector of the future’ on it.

Now, this is something different. It’d require a DAC in the headphones (which should already be present due to them being wireless) but it’d be an engineering feat. I honestly don’t know if I’d be interested in it - if I’ve got a 3.5mm jack (for the best sound) and BT (for mobility) I’d honestly not care.

Wireless yep. I’m a tad unsure what BT 5.0 would bring as an advantage, but sure why not!

If we can have a 3.5mm jack (and if it’s useable as headset a TRRS to use on a combo-jack like on the V would go a loooong way) I think it’s pretty useless and limits the headphones to be tethered to a PC.

Ok, this is interesting - because personally I don’t want my headphones to die when it starts raining outside. But I don’t really care to go diving with them if you catch my drift :wink:

If possible maybe also go with an already existing sizing so ppl can use whatever earpads they like? ( This size is pretty widely used --> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Leather-Straight-Pleather-Emergency-schwarz-black/dp/B0183O0TEG )

Again an interesting point - there’s been the Surface Phones where you could dial in the intensity of the ANC and reduce the buttons on the headphones. But an app would be new teritory for Eve and I’d rather have them stick to their roots for now (good hardware - nail that and we can keep expanding)

I miss AAC (for the people who like their fruit-products)

8 Likes

USB - C is I think is best upto work of charging only.
If giving a 3.5 mm jack then no need for usb to process audio.
But if for wired connection no “Jack” then it will be great to have that USB-C port can be used for the wired connection.

0 Likes

another question should be user input, whether touch sensitive area controlled with taps and gestures or physical buttons

2 Likes

Yeah I am already inches away from buying the 1000x anyway so not sure if I am willing to wait any longer for Eves attempt

0 Likes

As a comment regarding the ANC: I have had Bose QuietComfort phones for a couple of years and now I have the Nuraphones (they are unique as they measure individual hearing characteristics of the user and adapt to it - worth checking out if you care about the music quality). In both cases the ANC is very good for removing mechanical monotonous noises, like the jet engines, but not very good at removing everything else. For example in my Bose phones I can better understand announcements and flight attendants than without them! Nuraphones do a better job removing everything, but I am not sure it is the ANC rather than their unique in-and-over-the-ear design. ANC I would like would remove everything, mostly and especially the human voices as they are the most distracting component in offices, cafes etc.

2 Likes