[Step 1] Finding the perfect panel!

Eve Family,

An Eve monitor! After reviewing the survey results, quickly checking in with suppliers and analyzing market data we realized that there is a lot of potential in the monitor market. We feel that there isn’t an obvious best value monitor for gaming, professional use, or more casual purpose.

Generally monitors seem to either have too many features (making them way unnecessarily expensive) or they lack emphasis on their most important features. Anyways, this is the time when we want to hear what you think the perfect monitor should be like!

Compromises

Deciding what you want is the hardest part of selecting any product. Normally we try to optimize everything. We all want a laptop with many cores, top of the line GPU, week-long battery life, featherlight weight, and a no-brainer price. When selecting a product it’s important to realize that you can’t have everything!

The main questions are:

• What compromises can I happily live with?
  • What could I never ever compromise?

Creating any good product is about prioritizing one feature over another. A product trying to be great in everything typically turns out to be either very expensive, or a disappointment. Why? Because this is the nature of technology.

Let’s take laptops for example. High performance means higher power consumption and power draw, which leads to a bigger and heavier battery and cooling solution. This means that you either will have a very large high-performance product with OK battery life, or a sleek device with great battery life, but mediocre performance.

The same holds true for monitors! Is the ability to react faster than your opponent more important to you than enjoying your game in resplendent colors and high resolution? Would you like to have eye-melting colors that pop, or colors “as close to reality as possible” for design and photo editing? Do you want higher brightness overall, or is it more important that it’s evenly distributed across the screen? You get the idea…

In our opinion, when talking about monitors, it’s useful to imagine three priorities competing in the corners of a triangle.

Here are some examples…

Example A = extremely good for gaming but poor color reproduction and very expensive
Example B = Good color reproduction and good price but not good for gamers

OK! Now that we have broadly discussed monitors and how each use case requires a careful balance of features, we can start developing and voting! So let’s start with the first question. We want to understand what our users really need and want, and after each step of the discussion we will meet with some of the top vendors out there to see what’s possible! :slight_smile:

:fire: What will the purpose of the monitor we develop be?

• Gaming
  • Professional (photo editing, design work, etc.)
  • General use (office work, watching videos, browsing, etc.)
  • Other, I will comment below

0 voters

:fire: What matters the most to you in the monitor?

This is all about choosing the right compromise for your use case…

• I want eye melting colors and brightness
    It just needs to look amazing!
  • I want great color accuracy
    I want to be sure that my monitor works in different color spaces and provides me with the color precision I need for my work or hobby.
  • My monitor needs to help me win the game.
    I need to have the lowest response times and the highest refresh rates, and a resolution that my GPU can drive. I am NOT interested in immersive colors or color accuracy.
  • I’m all about the price.
    I need a monitor as affordable as possible with normal features for casual use.

0 voters

:fire: What size are you comfortable with?

Not too big, not too small, just suitable for you!

• Under 23 inch
  • 23 to 27 inch
  • 27 to 32 inch
  • 32 to 40 inch
  • Above 40 inch

0 voters

:fire: What is the best aspect ratio for a monitor?

Square, or cinematic widescreen?

• 4:3
  • 3:2
  • 16:10
  • 16:9
  • 21:9
  • 32:9

0 voters

:fire: What features would love to have in your monitor?

What if you didn’t have to make any compromises? Pick all the features you would love to have in your monitor’s panel despite what’s technologically possible.

• I want beautiful colors
  • I want high brightness
  • I want local dimming
  • I want high contrast ratio
  • I want high refresh rate
  • I want low response time
  • I want color accuracy
  • I want high resolution
  • I want wide viewing angle
  • I want flicker free
  • I want adaptive sync
  • I want curved panel

0 voters

:fire: Now, from the exact same list… Which compromises are you willing to make to make is more affordable?

Your dream monitor is in front of you, but the price tag seems a little scary. In order to lower the price of your dream monitor which compromises are you willing to make? Please select things you would sacrifice in order to get the best bang-for-YOUR-buck!

• I would sacrifice beautiful colors
  • I would sacrifice high brightness
  • I would sacrifice local dimming
  • I would sacrifice high contrast ratio
  • I would sacrifice high refresh rate
  • I would sacrifice low response time
  • I would sacrifice color accuracy
  • I would sacrifice high resolution
  • I would sacrifice wide viewing angle
  • I would sacrifice flicker free
  • I would sacrifice adaptive sync
  • I would sacrifice curved panel

0 voters

:fire: What type of panel would your dream monitor have?

One more question for our advanced class…

• TN technology
  • VA technology
  • IPS technology
  • OLED technology

0 voters

In the next step, we will talk about the monitor’s I/O, audio, stand and design… We’re excited to hear your thoughts!

P.S. Code name ideas for this project? Comment below! :star_struck:

6 Likes

The crowd has spoken. Here are Eve’s next projects!
Ideas needed: Pluto, Genie, Spectrum? Project names & communities you follow!
Tell us what you think about monitors

I ticked “other” for aspect ratio - I’m not too worried so long as it’s between 16:9 and 21:9.

Missing options that I would really, really like are a flexible mount and active pen touch support - a la Surface Studio.

I wonder if they would be viable as an optional add on to the base monitor?

5 Likes

I think we all want OLED if money is no object, so it would be nice if the price premium is also mentioned so we can get a sense whether its “worth it” or not

9 Likes

(The content is identical, one in video format, one in written format)

I think they are good resources to get an idea of how TN, IPS, and VA compare to each other. They went in great detail on the differences between one and another in various aspects. The conclusion:

we tend to gravitate towards VA panels for most buyers, especially gamers and those after something entry-level. Creative professionals should be looking exclusively at IPS monitors, while those after something dirt cheap or ultra high refresh for competitive gaming should opt for TN.

I also have a VA panel right now, and I would personally vote for VA if OLED is too cost prohibitive

7 Likes

I have technically no idea of the differences between OLED, VA, IPS, so that’s nothing I could vote for. I would love a monitor with a great sleek design. Nearly no frame/ bezel and matte black as the V. So I stay at the creative part and propose a project name:

project “Butterfly Boucher”

on the one hand its a BB like the DD in Donald Dock, on the other hand it is a band with a song named “can you see the lights”:
How far
How far
Do you run to catch it?
How long
How long
Do you wait to find it?

Now
Can you see the lights?
Can you hear the noise?
Well help is on it’s way.

Read more: Butterfly Boucher - Can You See The Lights? Lyrics | MetroLyrics

oh yes, what about pen support???

1 Like

For the name how about Project Spectrum.:rainbow::rainbow::sun_with_face: . For panel I hope it’s a LG or Samsung OLED.

2 Likes

Well, since the Eve V was practically the “affordable” Surface Pro with USB-C that Microsoft didn’t make…

I think there is a longing from 3 years back (when Surface Studio 1 is debuted), for a stand-alone 3K 3:2 28" Surface Monitor.

Heck all Eve has to do with that in mind, not to undermine simplicity… is to source the Surface Studio panel, preserve the touch/pen support (optional dial/accesory function maybe), and add-in USB-C [Thunderbolt 3 support]. Then sell it sub $1000…

Anyways with 16:9 and high-res OLED professional monitor that Eve users currrently polls… I hope you guys can stomach the price… Making large OLED isn’t cheap as Konsta mentioned it would be $1500+ (which is actually cheap considering OLED prices, but still…).

Maybe the idea is to make an affordable Dell UP3017Q [4K, 30", 16:9] which cost $3500 currently, where $1500 is not a bad price… Though personally I’m quite afraid of burn-ins…

10 Likes

Are we considering portable USB monitors here as well? Personally I might be interested in a USB-C/USB monitor that I can bring with me to have a mobile multimonitor setup on the go, especially if it could have pen/touch support. I’m also thinking that if a battery(around 3-4h of usage) could be included in the monitor as well, that’d extend the portability. Just a thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re back at the most difficult part of developing. Making compromises. :sob:

I’d love an IPS panel with high refresh rate, superb colour accuracy and very large screen estate. That’s why I made the weird vote of a 40" 32:9 display. But imo the goal for a monitor on a desk directly in front of you is to offer a large screen estate in the horizontal plane with a curved panel being a nice bonus for comfort. It feels very unnatural to look up and down to me at least. But I guess a 21:9 ratio is also good. And obviously with large screens you need an insane resolution, when you’re in such a close proximity.

OLED in my eyes is still something for phones and TVs. A monitor doesn’t need colours that pop like candy for my use cases since that is only needed in watching movies and it also doesn’t need literally black blacks like a phone at night.

And I have to say that several options are missing, but that could be done in a separate poll about the “case”: VESA, pen/touch support, stand of the monitor, ports, speakers, etc.

About a name: staying true to Donald Dock would be Moni Mouse :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

One note about aspect ratio, and this is I have personally experienced myself: I wanted a 34" ultrawide monitor, but as it turns out, a 40" 4K TV is almost half the price, and it is pretty much an ultratall version of that ultrawide monitor, basically I am getting a larger display and more pixels despite paying significantly less money.

What I’m trying to say is, you could get larger/better display if you take advantage of the economies of scale, which is using TV panels.

2 Likes

The problem with TVs is that they’re built to look good and not necessarily to look realistic. Therefore TVs usually have too much contrast and too extreme colours. That might be something we could adjust with different software. But another thing is that they usually don’t have high refresh rates or low response times. So, all in all this makes them bad for professional work (e.g. photoshop) and gaming.
And if I have too look up all the time, because Windows uses the full screen as a standard I’d be annoyed by that pretty quickly :smiley:
(And I have used a 40" for a monitor as well - gaming was actually quite fun, because I kind of had to look around, but it got awkward with the time imo)

1 Like

In short:
Made it through the poll. — already disappointed because I would SO MUCH like sth else than wide : NOT 9:16 BUT 3:4 and saw I was in the minority…

In long = context:
Actually, I did not click on “monitor” in the first poll b/c I have an old big monitor (21" 3:4) I use for displaying my pictures in “big”. But it is old, the resolution was nice at that time but now…
Anyway, a replacement for this old monitor, why not. But not 9:16… sorry… (my Dell 15" is also 9:16, and it is not “high” enough…)

0 Likes

Have added my votes, albeit I’m not in the market for one.

One perspective though is that in my industry, most offices and home working set ups, people opt for multiple monitors, usually two or three, though some have six! I would assume that this is driven by cost, ie two decent small monitors and a mount is cheaper than a single decent large monitor.

Understand of course that I’m not in the creative industry but regular office Excel, PowerPoint etc

2 Likes

Last year I bought a new monitor based on my needs and compromised due to price. Originally, I wanted to replace my rather old HP 24 inch with a 27 inch one but afterwards my wife said we need both and now I end up with two monitors - 24 inch and 27 inch. The same was at work: two monitors. Then I replaced them with a 32inch curved one and that is perfect - the monitor (LG 32) itself is disappointing because it is mirroring far too much.

In short, I reaklly think that in todays office working environment an at least 34inch monitor should be standard and those should be curved ( I was also sceptical about curved but it is really good and natural when you have two monitors you automatically place them a bit like curved.)

I am not yet sure about 4k vs. QHD or the derivates. Due to affordability I decided against 4k but in my deeper heart I feel I should have gone for it…

Monitors are working horses for me - so I appreciated as much place on the monitor as possible: So 16:10 (1920:1200) is really good for 24inch but 21:9 (3440:1440) at 34inch is still more place…

So if Eve is really building a great wide monitor I am in as a customer - otherwise I provide my input.

BTW, for those able to understand German I really recommend prad.de for good monitor tests.

0 Likes

I would like to add something, I missed in the feature list: Ergonomic features - I rate them high in my priority list - because it is important for a good working environment. Especially if it goes to 24inch monitors that should be able to rotate - which is not necessary for 32inch ones. I have not yet rotated a 27inch one but I guess it is not necessary there…

0 Likes

If it’s VESA 100 mountable you can buy a decently cheap standard yourself.
I have two monitor arms which have to accompany the monitor. As long it’s <6 KG most cheapish (30-40 bucks) monitor arms should deal with any rotation etc without any issue.

1 Like

Funnily enough the price difference is purely artificial. Some 1440p monitors actually have 4K panels in it since it’s cheaper or similar in price.

0 Likes

Perhaps eve can also make a 3:4 drawing monitor?

3 Likes

I’d love to have an OLED, but the one thing that worries me (besides the price) is burn-in.
I would hate to see UI elements stuck on my screen

1 Like

VGood to see EVE is taking some initiative for entering the monitor market with imperative feedback from the community that really do care about worthy products.

In theory, the design concept needs to as good or subtly better than the surface studio but not necessarily require a touch panel because that will likely increase the overall cost which majority prefer to use an OLED panel over a touchscreen.

I believe most people favor the 16:9 aspect ratio on a 27-inch screen with a resolution of 5K (Dual Display Port 1.2 or HDMI 2.0) rather than 4500X3000 that have lower PPI.

0 Likes