[SPOILERS!] Official Collection of Eve V reviews Wiki

Why does it mention that the V can’t be charged with a power bank? I though it’s exactly the opposite.

In the Review is mentioned:

“Sadly, despite the USB-C port, you won’t be able to top off even from a large power bank.”

Is this true? When the power is going low, I can’t use my powerbank? What’s the reason?

top off even from a large power bank

Perhaps they just mean that the V takes so much power/battery is so large, a power bank isn’t sufficient to ‘fully’ charge it?

I believe they meant that companies would lose sleep over features that we’d expect them to deliver. Our demands may be reasonable, but it might not be profitable for them to pay heed to our demands…

I would like to get a more elaborate answer to that, too…

It’s a bit of both - you CAN use a powerbank to charge the V, however that Powerbank would need to support USB PD. Also, we officially don’t recommend charging the V with any other device than the delivered charger.

@adt

Reason why you can’t use a regular powerbank is simply the same as why you can’t connect your notebook to your powerbank - the voltage is simply just too low

Nice review! That was fun to read.

I especially liked this picture, where you can see the anti-reflective coating in action like never before:

Everything looking pretty solid so far with the V… except the battery life, which is rated everywhere as merely “decent”. A bit underwhelming :roll_eyes:

We need to work on software optimization here as we do have big battery capacity and low power consumption so that’s what we will focus on as well as other software/ firmware improvements

Do you know when the big reviewers will publish the reviews (Linus, Dave,… ) ?

The LTT has been up on FloatPlane (I heard. I dont have floatplane), so it should be up on YouTube in less than a week

What’s FloatPlane ?
A Subscriber Only Access of LTT content ?

Yes, the replacement for Vessel that they used before.

MobileTechReview (Lisa)

It is most likely because the conversion ratio of AC/DC means that you will loose as much as 40% of the energy from a battery powerbank just trying to recharge a device. Depending on some brands of powerbanks, you’re looking at a power conversion loss of a whopping 50% in some cases which is why there won’t be many powerbanks capable of recharging your tablet.

I really hate seeing how much people are hating on the Y CPUs. Also, I’ve seen way too many reviewers mention that it’s only at 4.5W (the V is at 7W by default), and that it’s mostly useless outside of office and web browsing.

The U series in the Surface really isn’t that much better, if you’re somebody that needs performance you’ll need something more than a Surface anyways. The V might be a bit slower for certain tasks, but that’s a good compromise for much better battery life.

It shouldn’t be a deal breaker at all.

Yes, I agree. the U/Y performances differences isn’t that huge other than the bump in graphics. The V even performs very well, for example, against the Asus Transformer 3 Pro which uses the i7-6500 but can’t use the benefits of the architecture to it max due to thermal throttling. The new Asus Transformer 4 Pro doesn’t perform all that much better. Same problems with thermals. Might as well stick with the Asus Transformer 3 Pro. The 520/620 does give it an edge.

So, these devices are not really suited for heavy loaded. You’ll need a quad core processor for true media creation but that’ll cost battery duration. The harping on the “Y” series seems to be a bit obsessive.

Yeah this is what most people dont understand. There is practically nothing that you can do on the i7-U that you cant on the Y, and vice versa, there is nothing that you cant do on the i7-Y, that you can do on the i7-U because at the end of the day, they just have desktop Pentium-level performance.

The graphics in the V are worse than the Surface, but the Surface can’t support high end desktop graphics either :wink:

I do also wonder if, since TB3 uses PCIe lanes, it could support the coprocessors like Nvidia Tesla cards or Xeon Phi. That way the processing power of the V would be off the charts!

There is an interesting difference in battery consumption by the big companies (Microsoft, HP, Asus, Acer, Dell, Apple) utilising power-hungry, high performance CPU’s with a considerable R&D towards software optimization to increase battery longevity despite said power-hungry cpu’s.

Whereas, big battery capacity and low-powered hardware consumption will barely supersede big brands competition due to sophisticated software optimization.

I suspect that if the V tablet had the same software optimization, battery longevity would increase from 10 hours to a whopping 16 hours. This would fully max out the potential of the V and justify the use of using low-powered hardware such as the i7-7Y75 cpu.

Apple does all of their own software optimization, literally all of if. It’s near impossible to beat them in terms of optimization (and root access).

Windows is such a broad OS, that it’s difficult to have much optimization, and the Microsoft Surface is often riddled with software bugs that decrease the battery life horribly (which is terrible considering it’s the same company that makes the OS).

That’s a pretty big jump. Perhaps with battery saver running all the time (and some other implementations of this) as well as using the ‘battery saver’ setting in the UEFI to halve the TDP, 16 will be possible.