[SPOILERS!] Official Collection of Eve V reviews Wiki

https://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/eve-v-review/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2017/12/18/eve-v-review-the-peoples-champion/

6000 members, one thousand minds. It’s not a 1 to 1 ratio

This made my day. I know it’s because the community was much smaller when V was developed but sometimes this is how I feel reading those threads that descend into pointless bickering.

Not possible without Adblocker :frowning:

It is possible to view it with ublock origin, but the site is pure cancer, so much tracking <.<

Would have been better had they mentioned the “not suitable for long intervals of time, should be fine for most tasks since they require short bursts of power” part.

I herd you like not paywalls so i unwalled so you can pay while you wall.

Forbes Eve V review

This past Sunday morning at 1am, I was at home watching TV when my phone buzzed with an incoming WhatsApp message.

"Hey Ben, just letting you know that we have updated V drivers after community feedback."

The message is from Konstantinos Karatsevidis, the co-founder of Eve, a Finnish start-up I profiled last month. The "V drivers" he's talking about refers to firmware updates for the V, his company's 2-in-1 tablet.

I saw the message and first thought, "wow, the V just went on sale on December 4, and you guys already have new updates based on customer feeedback after not even two weeks? That's pretty cool."

I then thought, "wait, dude just WhatsApp'ed me at 1am on a Saturday night [aka Sunday morning]?"

Not that I mind -- I'm a night owl and like to work at all hours of the day -- but I thought that WhatsApp exchange succinctly sums up up Karatsevidis and his company. Eve, in its current format, may not even exist without WhatsApp -- that's where Karatsevidis kept in touch with supporters of Eve's products before moving the group chat to Eve's online forum, which now boasts more than 6,000 members.

The V, as I wrote in my earlier profile, was built with input from all of them collectively, so of course Karatsevidis would take their feedback and issue a driver update as soon as possible. And of course he would spread the news over WhatsApp.

Even before these driver updates, which improved audio and stylus performance, I had found the V to be an excellent 2-in-1 tablet that was worthy of challenging Microsoft's Surface Pro line. Despite being a relatively new start-up, the V has a polish to it that pushes it above the budget Chinese 2-in-1 devices I've reviewed in the past. For example, the V's keyboard cover has less flex when typing and individual keys have more travel than the Chuwi Surbook, and the V itself has chamfered edges that feel smoother than other Chinese tablets. I am also a fan of the magnesium body with its matte black paint job. 

The Eve V has a satisfying metallic matte black finish.

The keyboard cover case comes with the device at no extra cost.

Moving to the front of the device you'll find a 12.3-inch IGZO LCD display panel from Sharp. Though it's wrapped by somewhat thick-ish bezels (though to be fair the Surface Pro also has similar sized bezels), the 2880 X 1920 resolution is a stunner. Karatsevidis says each panel is individually calibrated, and while I can't fully confirm the claim, I can report my unit's display is excellent, pumping out saturated colors, crisp text, gets very bright (400 nits), and is capable of full sRGB coverage. 

The V comes in multiple configurations, starting with a 8GB RAM/128GB storage with Intel Core m3 processor at $799, to the most premium: 16GB RAM/1TB storage with Intel i7 processor at $1999. While these are not budget devices by any means, they're quite a bit cheaper than the Surface Pro because every version of the V comes equipped with the keyboard cover and stylus, whereas Microsoft charges a whopping $150 more just for the keyboard cover (which is a necessity for most who buy the product). For example, the lowest configuration of the Surface Pro also sells at $799, but has only 4GB of RAM and no keyboard case. When you get to the high end, the V is essentially close to $900 cheaper than the Surface Pro factoring in the extra cost of stylus and keyboard.

(The unit I tested is one notch below the most premium one, but it's really the same machine as the top tier other than the fact that storage is dropped to 512 instead of 1TB)

As mentioned, Eve built the V with input from the community, and the two things fans voted overwhelmingly in favor of is more ports and larger battery. I love both decisions: the V has two full-sized USB-A 3.0 ports, a normal USB-C port and a Thunderbolt USB-C for fast data transfer and display output (in addition to standards like headphone jack and Micro SDXC reader). This makes the Surface Pro and the new MacBooks look positively frugal by comparison in terms of offering I/O connectivity.

There are no shortage of ports.

The hinge is sturdy but the bolts that keep it in place is a bit sharp.

The larger battery (48Wh) gave my V enough juice for a full eight hour typing sessions easily. I also took it on the plane and watched two movies (totaling about five hours of run time) at 25% brightness and only lost only 45% battery life. This machine won't have you scrambling for a charger. But the larger cell does make the V heavier than other tablets, totaling close to 3 pounds with the keyboard case (it's 2 pounds without it).

The V also supports Windows Hello, but it does so via a fingerprint sensor on the right side of the device, integrated into the power button just like a smartphone. It works fine, though it's hard to find by touch. I have to pay attention to where I'm putting my finger to unlock the device.

Boot up time is not bad -- the device can go from cold to up and running in 20 seconds or so, and the Windows 10 here has no bloatware whatsoever

So the make or break factor for me when it comes to portable computing devices is the keyboard, and the V's keyboard cover is excellent. The keys here on the V's keyboard is clicky and even has seven backlight options. The trackpad is covered by gorilla glass and feels noticeably more responsive than on Chuwi's trackpads. On typingtest.com's Aesop's fables test, I scored a 103-words-per-minute, which is about on par with typing on a proper desktop keyboard. 

There are a couple of design cues that show Eve's playful nature, such as the delete button being renamed "Oops." I have no problems with this -- in fact I find it a bit cute -- but I've seen other reviewers heavily criticize Eve for this decision. To that I say: lighten up, dudes. It's just a delete key that reads "oops." There's so many big companies doing shameless things (like Apple putting fast charging capabilities in the iPhone X but charging users extra for that charging brick) that you guys should punch up instead of going crazy over a start-up having a bit of fun.

The keyboard case covers the front of the device nicely.

As for computer tasks, I must mention that the V's i7 processor is the 7Y75 version, which is slightly less powerful than the 7660U i7 on the Surface Pro. The difference won't be noticeable in most day to day use for most people, but you will feel it when of video editing or process GPU-intensive games. Like I said, I use this as my work device (which consists mostly of listening to Spotify and writing inside a CMS on Chrome with WeChat and WhatsApp web running) with zero problems at all.

Consuming media is great provided you use headphones. The speakers on the top left and right sides are a bit flat, but the device did not heat up at all even when playing movies for hours or streaming 4K videos.

There are a couple of misfires here. The hinge that opens the device is actually a bit sharp, to the point that it felt painful when I was moving the device from one table to another with one hand and my finger pressed into the hinge. The stylus is also nowhere near as responsive as the Apple Pencil, which I use to sketch. Don't get me wrong, the V's stylus is perfectly serviceable for basic sketches and annotations, with 1,024-levels of pressure sensitivity, and it's included with the package anyway so it's basically a freebie, but I have to call it like it is.

Little touches such as the Eve logo on the back of the tablet underneath the hinge offers a nice personal touch.

Other than smaller bezels, I have no complaints.

In the grand scheme of things, these are minor quibbles for a device that was essentially built by a young, inexperienced company with thousands of voices shaping the design process. Considering that, the V is a winner. This is a device built for users by users -- the people's computer.

There is no paywall.

Not to revive this topic, but I could not find an updated review from Dave 2D. The last one is from 7 months ago with prototype.
Did I missed it?

I think he decided not to do the review as there were “many others that have already done it, so it wouldn’t bring anything unique”. That can be read “I don’t think i’ll get money from ads from it so not worth of my time”.

Basic youtuber bullshit if you ask me

Interesting China review

https://youtu.be/hWy2V6f8wf8

More of a comedy review then anything.

This review never called the V underpowered or knocked it for not having facial recognition. And, they never called it an Eve!

10/10 review

Except that the reviewer has had problems with cracked screens…

From Dom Esposito

I definitely think that the Eve V has enough polish to call itself a winner in the space

I dont see any reason not to get it, if youre looking for a 2-in-1 like this

Needless to say, its a very positive review.

I enjoyed watching the vid and hadn’t heard of Dom before. I like him. Just for the record, he said “I don’t see any reason NOT to get it” :wink: