[SPOILERS!] Official Collection of Eve V reviews Wiki

Yes that is true, but I was providing examples in the best case scenario. I seem to have a habit of doing that, I’ll try to refrain :slight_smile:

Perhaps if we can tie in the powercfg /energy command as an executable (@echo off _ START “”) to generate a report which a light-weight software can then register the errors and warnings and make a course of action. This is just a very basic example.

For example, the powercfg /energy function reported a series of USB Device not Entering Suspend warnings which explains that my USB devices did not enter a suspend state when not in use.

It’s pretty detailed and can possibly used as a scanning tool to implement the optimization process of resolving those issues automatically. Typically most computers report anywhere between 15 to 45 errors which is very interesting. That’s how I’d start off and work on from there.

[Update]: Incidentally, you can also use powercfg /energy to observe which programs are being naughty by requesting smaller timer resolution. Some programs use 15.6 ms (uses less power) relative to other programs that use 1 ms (uses more power). Some applications reduce this to 1 ms, which reduces the battery run time on mobile systems by as much as 25 percent. We could increase the timer resolution much higher which would decrease the power consumption on a mobile platform.

I agree, it would be worth to investigate!
I think this is the regular use case for firmware/bios updates, to close this types of gaps that may be specific to only appear with certain peripherals or during specific use scenarios, but too may be a result of product immaturity - for example a new SSD being used in production that was not yet thoroughly tested and does not optimally work with the power management…
Can someone from the @Team run a report like this and if possible improvements will be indicated provide an ETA on how long it may take to implement bios changes etc?

Thanks, @iKirin, that made my day! SC2 is a great way for me to compare the V with my current setup. You are testing this on a m3 V, right? That’s even better than I expected by reading comments and reviews. Looking forward to the online match results!

The resolution is odd for the V. It’s not exactly the screen’s native aspect ratio, right?

No, not exactly but it was very close and the performance was great - everything looked clear & Sharp! :wink:

Yes, this is an m3 unit! :slight_smile:

… but is it the THE m3 unit? :wink:

Because I don't want to take up much room

Oh, I know that.

The same person that said the Surface had the same IGZO panel as the V, just with a smaller resolution (not true); who also said that the V was set at 4.5W (also not true) and harped on the ‘bad performance’ saying that if you need to do more than Office, web browsing, or light video editing, the V was useless - which, to some degree, is true.

If somebody wants work with large/high resolution photos/videos on the go, the Surface isn’t going to be great either. Both will work (to a point), The V will be the slowest but it will work. The Surface will still be slow. An i7 HQ would be a much more capable processor for such tasks, and eventually you reach a point where you just need a desktop.

If you read through some of the YT comments of her video (I know, but still), a lot of people seem to believe the V is just a glorified chrome book, and that the Surface is 10x more powerful. It’s That attitude that bothers me - sure, the V isn’t that powerful, but neither is the Surface.

I don’t care what you want to play, there’s a point where you have to get a computer with a dedicated graphics card. The V can run games, though not well with integrated graphics. As can the Surface - you’ll get better frame rates with the Surface, but that’s about all the difference you’ll find. The Surface Book is the ideal device for somebody that wants a 2in1 with powerful graphics, and it does an excellent job.

Saying the Surface can’t handle heavy gaming or heavy Photoshop is correct. It can’t, it wasn’t designed to. Maybe moderate use, but definitely not heavy. Nobody expect games like Crysis to run well on the Surface, because its not a powerhouse of a machine - that’s the Surface Book.

As somebody who has had every Surface (including the RT) since release up to the SP4, I’m fully aware of the capabilities. I love the Surfaces! They’re wonderful devices, but I have my desktops for a reason - because there are somethings the Surface can’t handle. The Surface wasn’t designed to handle them either, otherwise it wouldn’t be a 2in1.

I’m not. I’m generalizing the actual performance of the Surface, and what it was designed for, compared to the V.

All I’m trying to say, is that it really looks bad when people keep spreading the idea that - because of the Y series processor - the V is just a chromebook running Windows 10, because it’s not. It is very similar in performance to the Surface and other 2in1 devices. Seeing benchmarks comparing very similar computers doesn’t represent this well, but comparing it all to an HQ, an Atom, a Celeron, and a desktop processor, it would be easy to see that the Y is just a slightly less powerful than the U.

That says it all about the way you think. If you don’t care how others use their device, no further discussion is needed.

I never said it is a chromebook…Not even close.

I meant that it doesn’t depend on the specific game as much as how well you want your games to perform.

This isn’t directed at you, it’s directed at the general idea of the Y processor making the V nothing more than an internet machine.

@iKirin, @helios, @nawthor it looks like this thread got sidetracked just a bit :wink: Good discussion actually, but definitely went off topic. Maybe we can split it out into it’s own thread?

@iKirin was there an opportunity to test the parking min cores tweaking and it’s impact to battery run time?

I am really curious since the CPU would reduce the frequency to 50% and Core voltage as well. Wish I had a V to test this out myself :wink:

Nope unfortunately not and I’ll now try to get into my weekend where I try not to work :wink:

No worries, have a great weekend. Some people are behind by a day so it’s friday for them so I thought I’d ask :stuck_out_tongue:

so from most of the reviews we get that the battery life needs to improve with software optimization and the speakers are mediocre…

so most of the reviews we get that eve V is a absolutely great device with some little things to improve. “The new Queen of windows tablets” sound like a headline we can deal with…

After reading winbuzzer on battery life of Eve v compared to SP seems like battery life is lower than U-series…

Thing is, there are several reviews that say it has phenomenal battery life, and several reviews call it good, but can be bettered with updates. So I’m gonna wait for my device to evaluate the battery life.
As for performance, it seems pretty close to U class CPUs besides multi core stuff, which is something most people wouldn’t take advantage of anyways. And we aren’t suffering from thermal throttling, so there’s that.
Notebookcheck noted that benchmark scores actually improved after repeated tests on certain benchmarks, which is nothing short of a miracle.
And I believe they’ve nailed almost everything else (besides the decent speakers, I guess?).
Besides that, it’s got fantastic reviews with quotes like “It’s so good, it’s difficult to write an impartial review” and " If I were in a retail store and the Eve V was next to the Surface Pro, I’d pick the Eve V".

Yeah, the reviews are mostly good and the words SP killer or similar are often used.

Speakers are mediocre compared to what?

I think most small device speakers are mediocre, but again relative to what?

We can always use a good headset or Bluetooth device and I’m sure the sound will improve outta sight!

Instead of being complacent, what is the team’s plan and timeline in improving the “mediocre” performance on couple of important area - battery life and speakers - so V can become a real SP Killer?