[SPOILERS!] Official Collection of Eve V reviews Wiki

Not sure why you would send it to her then…Also i never tried to accuse Eve saying V was for workload. What i tried to say is if V cant do something, does not mean surface cant. (poster i originally replied to).

No offense but if Eve does not cover warranty over 7W TDP, no point testing as i doubt people will want to void warranty to play game…

On notebookcheck, surface pro 2017 i5 cinebench r15 scored (141). V scored (112).

Multi CPU SP scored (334) , V scored (221)

Try SC2 7W and league of legends please. Im surprised there is no test for league of legends yet.

So and what miraculous software then did that? Or is it just an assumption, as said, and the HW may be more efficient? Thats what i am saying, dont fantasize all the time about ridiculous best case scenarios…
Just reason, if it would be SW, would not all big funded manufacturers go that way and optimize to the edge?

Im comparing to surface pro 2017. Yes V was made to compete with SP4 but unfortunately, V is releasing in December. Sad truth is buyers who are interested are not going to care about comparing to last year models of Microsoft.

Was it on 7W? I appreciate your work, but as i said. If Eve does not cover warranty over 7W, people wont boost TDP and void warranty just to play game. Its more reliable and true if you can test 7W or Eve covers warranty up to 13W.:sweat_smile: (which we know wont happen.)

P.s please play online. Some reason, online matches drops fps.

Im a diamond-master on SC2. :stuck_out_tongue: (30fps is unplayable to me no offense. Might be ok to others) Its still pretty good tho for what V can do.

@iKirin

Sounds like MS settings are more to do with thermal throttling than power saving. We know that it throttles after heavy loads so the cpu reduces power to loose the excess heat. But looking at the specs on paper (Surface Pro v Eve V) the SP uses 3.33 times more power than the V tablet and that’s with the latter having a bigger battery capacity and lower TDP hardware consumption.

Why are the reviewers only getting 10 hours? The V stats are telling me that it can hit 16 hours, unless there’s too much resistence (wires and lower end dyes?).

That’s true, people will compare with the latest. But people will also look at what they can get depending on what they are willing to spend based on their needs. Also, what’s features that are important. Whether that is the screen, the ports and so on.

Did Eve miss an opportunity by releasing late? Sure. Probably would of made a bigger splash. But the reviews are good and gaining good PR. But who knows. We’ll know one it become publicly available

Yes, the SP i5 scored higher, but I don’t know why it scored that much higher tbh - might be due to various reasons.

However, as mentioned the MultiCore of the SP i5 drops off hard - and I’d not be surprised if the SingleCore did as well :wink:

I’ve done my tests with 7W as well (mostly) and if not always stated so. Also, never say never! :wink: FW updates are a thing that happen - even if some manufacturers don’t do them :smiley:

I only played Bots locally. I don’t really want to be crushed completely but I will try later with @Helios a 1v1 against each other - so we also have 2 Vs to check and look at numbers :smiley:

@sudoapt Not sure but there are quite a bunch of other components that can eat battery - and MS did some magic with their firmware to not take much power.

No doubt. All i voiced was for some people to stop saying “If V cant do this, SP definitely cant”. Thats all.

I just cant wait for more people to really compare the SP 2017 to V when it is available. For me, V is a great everyday device. SP just has extra oompth. V is affordable while SP is expensive. Neither are better or worse, just consider how you will use the device.

Oh no my apologies, i was not disagreeing with you either. I hope there will be more reviews with a side by side comparison, more testing like notebookcheck did, but too someone who does real life work lets say a photographer who moves pictures, edits etc…
The virtual tests are good to return a high level overview, but i am too interested to know if i will see any annoying stuff when compared to an U device - like you have stutter for a couple of seconds, or certain sw loads much longer, all these small things in everyday usage will drive your blood pressure :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with you. Both are great devices

Yeah, but most of the hardware in the V is more power efficient than most of the competition so I’m not just talking about the CPU :slight_smile:

@Tomas_Ulicny
This is based on testing I did with an andoid tablet, but I digress, we are talking about a MS tablet with alot of bugs and issues that can bring down the efficiency of power. Worst case scenario, we can only hit 12 hours max…best case scenario - 16 hours.

Thanks! please test league of legends on different settings. Its the most popular-least intensive game esports right now.

If league can be played on high or highest settings above avg 60fps, would blow my mind. would love to play league in airports while waiting.I believe SP4 can achieve it so hopefully V can.

Hey no proble :grinning:

Would love to hear on the android tablet stuff you did, maybe you can write about it in a separate post in the community?
About a MS OS device, what would be examples of tweaks of SW to improve batt performance under workload?
I dont disagree that power management - which is based on saving power when not needed is SW based and can do a lot, but mixed idle time with intermittent browsing etc is not a surface replace device usage scenario, rather a work-sleep-work, so only if SW tweaks can somehow optimize batt usage during workload, it would be of real interest here.

I think it’s Medium Settings at Native Resolution with easily 30 fps - not sure it was 60fps.

I’ll maybe check it again later with @helios! :smiley:

@iKirin

Out of curiosity, I was wondering since you are doing some test, would you mind testing something out? I am curious if it makes a difference in improving duration of battery.

If you go to power options>advanced settings>Processor power management>Processor performance core parking min cores>On Battery
Is it possible to tweak it down to min cores: 25%, max cores 25% on power saver?

core-under-power1

Does that prolong the battery duration?
Does that affect performance too much?

How do you know that the other hardware (excluding the CPU) is more efficient that the competition? The battery life evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

It was years ago so I don’t remember of the top of my hat, but I do still have my android tablet so I can backtrace what I did.

There’s a few ways to do this with MS OS device. Have a powerful desktop that runs the OS but run it through a virtual environment so your tablet can ‘connect’ to your desktop. The desktop takes the workload and your tablet is essentially idle, hardly using any power. But that has a number of issues such as connectivity and latency etc.

Other ways to do this is to ‘properly’ disable that pesky Intel Management Engine (IME) which is completely separate from your OS. That ‘CPU inside a CPU’ is using a chunk of power while doing who knows what…(spying?). Rumors are that there is a backdoor…but that’s a topic for another time. At this time, there isn’t a safe way to disable this annoying menace without running into issues.

I can think of a few more ideas but it takes time and manpower to implement these ideas, which no doubt the big companies have already spent $$$ implementing. Not sure if Eve want’s to go down that route.

I am sorry, but the 2 things are not practical, the Surface line does not use any…
We were rather looking for examples of stuff that can be done by SW to optimize batt consumption during workload, or as you said to explain by what possible SW tweaks the U devices in the notebookcheck test have better batt performance under workload or as you suggested by what tweaks the current batt perf of the V could be boosted by 60%

all this talk about big companies optimizing this or that…

Windows is a “universal” OS, it’s designed to run on as many types of hardware as possible, that’s the direction it’s optimized at, same for Android. Apple can get away with deeper software integration with hardware because the hardware they support is really limited. Think of it as a console OS, the code for those really ‘get close to the metal’. Doing that let’s Apple extract every bit of performance and power saving from the hardware. It’s impractical to expect windows to do that, simply due to it having to support a rainbow of hardware. Manufacturers can implement some in the form of bios or firmware, but I won’t hold my breath for deep OS integration with hardware, especially when it’s windows.

Plus, who says windows isn’t optimized for battery life? You can create a custom power plan that best suit your need in control panel. You can choose to use programs that don’t suck up processes and release ASAP when they’re not in use.

The way I see it, creating/modifying power plan + brightness control + choosing which program to use (see MPC-HC vs Metro app player) will be enough to bring my V past 10hrs of usage. I’ll test it once I get mine.