[SPOILERS!] Official Collection of Eve V reviews Wiki

Yeah, can’t argue with you there. But it’s possible to come close to their level of optimization with a decent light-weight software.

I think 16 hours can be possible if done right. The battery capacity is big enough and the hardware doesn’t draw a lot of power. It’s definitely doable.

I’d be more than happy with 10 hours of battery life with software optimization; anything more than that is bonus.

Windows and battery life is a story from which u can write books about. We have two surface books with powerbase at the office. And the battery life was awful. After a few days I had time to search for the reason.

It was a part of the Autodesk 360 desktop software that kept the processor on 25-40% usage .
I killed the process and the battery life is now much better.

Long story short: the V team can improve a lot with FW updates and drivers but if have a lot of software using background services u will have a short battery life.

Perhaps the best way to squeeze out every second of battery life the V can handle, Eve should develop a V-linux distro to work perfectly with the hardware. :penguin:

The easiest step would be to look at using an intuitive program that monitors hardware components that can be turned off when not needed. For example, the bluetooth, wifi, speakers, CPU cores can all (except 1) be turned off when in idle states after 2-5 minutes of inactivity. In the case of the CPU, you can park all but 1 core if there are no resource-intensive processes being used or utilizing all CPU cores. You can probably save 20% power alone by doing all of those steps above.

Further streamlining would be looking at turning off unnecessary power-hungry apps and processes which don’t need to be used at both startup and idle usage. For example, whenever you turn off the wifi, optimization software could turn off the software firewall program since you don’t need the firewall while you are offline. Firewalls would use active processes all the time to regularly scan the ports and that’s unnecessary while you are offline because a hacker isn’t going to get into your computer through the internet while you’re not using the wifi. You can set the optimization software to turn off the wifi under specific condition in which there isn’t any traffic for 2-5 minutes or if there is less than 10kb/s speeds in which the only traffic is occurring is windows connection to windows servers checking for updates. If a person want’s to use internet after 5 minutes, the wifi can turn back on and bobs your uncle.

Also whenever you’re offline (wifi disabled), have no USB or SD cards plugged into the computer, there’s really no point having an antivirus program active because there’s no “entry” into your computer that hackers could use, unless remotely at the boot level.

There are more steps but this is a good place to start at.

This is typically done already, to some degree. I’m pretty sure you can’t just completely shut down 1 of the cores without running into problems, but Intel has made it pretty efficient as it sits.

When talking about turning off wifi (and this can apply to other things), the time taken to turn it back on and reconnect would definitely be noticeable and may annoy a lot of people. This method could also get super glitchy really fast (I’ve seen a few things try this approach before, and it didn’t work well then).

As far as turning off firewalls, antivirus, USB, etc. constantly would also get buggy, and wouldn’t at all work as a general solution for most people. There are a million different reasons why a process could be using resources, and absolutely no way to conclusively tell if that should be running or not. Antivirus programs do this to some degree, but only for extreme cases.

All in all, these steps wouldn’t save much power, and probably not even worth the time trying to write the firmware/software to do this. There also isn’t a good way to implement this for the common user, and most people (as we’ve definitely learned from these reviews) prefer something simple and familiar over somewhat better battery life.

I dont like to presume why people decide to purchase a device as they have their own reason. People might like the pen/touch, some might like the form factor. I like to look at stats.

From notebookcheck, Surface Pro i5 was recorded to last nearly 13 hours with Wifi. Surface does have better processor power. Microsoft has probably the best software team in the world to fine tune their products. surface pro i7 has double the framerate for overwatch compared to eve i5, (i would like to see Eve i7 comparison to be fair but i dont think V i5 vs i7 would make a lot of difference) so i wouldn’t say “U series in surface isn’t that much better”.

Eve does have better ports, keyboard bluetooth, affordable. Hopefully, they can fine tune V to get a better battery life.Their QC needs to improve tho.

Microsoft did a fantastic job with Surface Pro from reviews/test scores. Their QC needs to improve tho.

I understand that, what I meant was that if you need more processing power than the V can offer, you will also need something more powerful than the surface. The difference between the two is speed (not counting graphics, Surface has Iris which is better than HD, but Eve has Thunderbolt), not power.

For example, I have a rather powerful desktop I use for most of my work, because a lot of the stuff I do my surface simple cannot handle. And I regularly need to run code that my desktop cannot handle, so I send it off to a super computer and let that do the heavy lifting.

If somebody needs to do heavy photo/video editing, programming/compiling, or gaming that the V can’t handle, neither can a Surface, because in the grand scheme of things they aren’t that different. The better processor in the Surface makes it a bit faster, but the V can do everything the Surface can do (just a tad slower).

Also, keep in mind, the V was supposed to be delivered by the time the 2017 Surface was announced, it was designed to compete with the SP4 (which had considerable worse battery life than the new Surface).

True, but the Iris in the Surface is much better than the HD relatively speaking. However, the CPU immediately throttles down due to thermal constraints.

As for Overwatch, it’s a GPU intensive game so the Surface has the advantage with its beefier iGPU. If someone needs a better mobile GPU then I would suggest the Surface or a comparable 2-in-1 device with a dGPU.

You forget 2in1 is designed for “on the go”. there are some people who do work outside of their office/home.

There is a review from mobiletechreview who is considered one of the best reviewers with the opposite opinion.

Sorry but how do you know what games i plan to play? i actually want to play starcraft 2 in hotels which surface can handle but V cant. I like the 2in1 factor when im on the plane. I like to take notes on the go. I do photoshop sometimes. All im saying, maybe you cant picture yourself using the surface which is fine. but there might be others who can. To say surface cant handle games/heavy photoshop etc is a bit much.

I kept it in mind. All im saying is, stop generalising to your own usage. there are people out there with their own needs.

Yes it throttles but test from cinebench etc shows that surface is still better for more intensive tasks (of course).

I agree, with your last sentence. I just find it fanboyish when people say V cant play game so surface must cant. Erm, how do you know what game i play? How is that informative to buyers? We should be honest with buyers and say V is fantastic for general work/everday tasks. Surface is bit better for intensive tasks, more expensive so you need to know if you will use the extra horse power or not, you get what you pay for.

Sorry if I upset some people but if she’s the best we can offer then please save us - the CPU benchmark was… insane to watch, and I think we mentioned quite a bunch of times that the V is not really a device for heavy workloads - which incidentally encoding a video is!

Unless SC2 is somehow more demanding than Overwatch, I doubt that you can’t play SC2 on the V - but I’ll check that right away! :slight_smile:
Because Overwatch ran OK on this m3 (Native resolution, Lowest Settings) and with the TDP up to 12W it was holding 30 fps fine without problems.

And the i5 Surface throttles down to a Cinebench score of ~230 which incidentially is a 7W TDP limit :wink:

But I’ll test a quick SC2 match and come back after that :smiley:

Yeah that’s true, the Surface 4 is a bit more capable for light gaming and other tasks out of the box. Just too bad about the heavy throttling which makes the gap not so large. Would be interesting if a person could undervolt it some to help reduce temps.

Folks, a 60% improvement? Seriously? Are you dreaming? And no, software optimization will not do, if there is that small of a difference to more powerful devices with lower battery, then it may be their HW is more efficient… A firmware tuning here and there can do something but, reasonably my expectations are the batt life will not change dramatically from what we have seen, lets stay reasonable, there is no need to build another type of bubble of crazy expectations, like OMG quad speakers or OMG super efficient cooling that beats U performance…
Similarly with the Y CPU, did anyone ever held an Y CPU device in their hands and had a chance to compare to U? Throttling here throttling there, all assumptions, i mean not even the reviewers did look at the V from a creative workload use case perspective, all youtube, browser, on line games, which is something a 3 year old android tablet can do flawlessly…

Definitely not get to 16 hours but get to a solid 10-12 hours with certain settings

Whoa man, take a breath.

It is possible to improve the efficiency of the V to such a point that it can last 16 hours on one charge. Look at the stats of Windows Surface Pro which has hardware that consumes 3.33 times more power than the the V tablet. From CPU to screen to ram frequency…the eve doesn’t consume anywhere near as much power as the surface pro.

So the question is why, is the V tablet only getting 10 hours whereas a 5 year old android tablet can hit 12 hours?

The answer is software optimization. It is possible to reach 16 hours because that’s what the big companies are doing. Battery tech has been semi-stagnant for a decades all the while tech has been growing beefier in power so companies have had to work around this. Sure technology today has become more power efficient, but still have required software optimization to make their devices a selling point to the market.

In what scenarios? I dont care about idle time, where my wifi turns off or the CPU throttles, that is a virtual number. What can be done practically for workload scenarios, there is not much SW will do, i can imagine your wifi power optimization, but i thought we have retail wifi cards that are the same with competition and these cards are solid on power consumption management already …

I think the laptop has more than just a CPU in it. :slight_smile: There’s a screen, a keyboard, wifi, ssd, etc. - they all consume power.

Yeah, the SP is a bit more capable for gaming, but then again the question how much better it is - because let’s be frank you’re not playing a AAA title either way. :slight_smile:

@caspa90 I’m back from a quick bot match - please see a the attached screenshot to validate it yourself :wink:

Here are my settings :slight_smile:
This is without tweaking the TDP to higher settings like 10W btw :wink:
During gameplay I was easily staying above 30fps - usually over 60 without problem :slight_smile:
EDIT: Also please don’t judge the Zealot-runby :stuck_out_tongue: I’m quite rusty and without proper mouse :smiley:

@sudoapt You’re talking pure Intel TDP - there is a slight difference in the regular factory TDP and the TDP we set. Because we e.g. go with 7W on the V, while MS uses some weirder settings on the Surface i5 - I think 25W TDP for 90 Seconds, 15W or so for 600 seconds (or so?) and then 7W sustained.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you. I also believe that 16 is too much. Maybe light browsing and video.