[Spoiler]Hadi's Eve V Review

v
spoiler

M3 8 GB Ram 128 SSD

Let me know if you have any requests (pics or opinions)

Shipping:
Not a fan of 4PX to say the least. UPS knocked on door and were already driving away by the time I opened the door.

Unboxing:
I was super pumped. This is my most expensive purchase and my favorite (also the one I waited the longest for). Box is beautiful, so are the extra goodies (drawstring bag, international adapters, screen protector, sticker, poster, pen tips, V sleeve). V box was hawt. No screen crack thank God. There was dust or dirt on the back of the V though. I did not get any sticky marks tho. Everything else was great as well. Screen protector also had a lot of dirt on it and after application it was dirt and hairs stuck under
The whole presentation and unboxing experience was out of this world. Better than it was for the iPad, iPhone, Note 7, and Oneplus One. I would say it most resembled the Oneplus One box, in that it had exquisite materials used for the box construction.

Build:
It was ice cold to the touch. Super sexy. The hinge felt great, better than it looks on video. All my buttons feel great. Volume buttons are slightly stiffer, but that seems intentional.

Display:
On first boot, I thought the screen looked normal. Not extremely out of this world. I was skyping my brother and then I noticed that the background of the video was all black because the screen was just that bright. He also said he could tell it looked great and was super bright.
After downloads, updates and playing around, I can now confirm the screen is awesome. I have a folder of downloaded wallpapers all in high res of nature and they look absolutely beautiful on the screen. I keep brightness at 1 or 2 steps above darkest option. At the third level you can tell it’s gonna get too bright.
One complaint is that I have light bleed in two spots of the computer (bottom to the left and right near the top). I would usually complain about this to a company and get it replaced, but I don’t want to be too hard on the Eve team, but I will contact support and see what options are available.
[https://photos.app.goo.gl/mLbhqHetsRPsJXSg2]

Ports:
Looks good. My Apple iPhone charging cable doesn’t seem to connect to the V.

Possibly it can not reach far enough to connect, however jimmying it around doesn’t seem to improve on that front. I hope it works in the future. My logitech wireless usb thing does. Also the iPhone cable works on my older laptop.

Working now, no problems.

Keyboard:
The Keyboard feels incredibly nice. It is so soft that it almost feels plush. However it feel rigid and durable. It does collect dirt rather quick (light colored dust and a few hairs) but I enjoy the feeling more than I am bothered by this. Keys feel nice, make a nice damp sound. Travel is good, better than my 5 year old HP laptop. Keys are not smooth on top, have a slight friction on the top, which is different but not bad. I do have a key (caps lock) which has a super tiny bump on it, I suppose an imperfection which still got covered by black paint. Not an issue for me because I don’t consider it an serious issue. Key colors are great, i agree with others, however, that the Fn keys do show too much light at the user’s angle.

Software:
Came free of junk! Had some dumb windows apps installed because microsoft has no idea what they are doing half the time. Calman thing popped up each boot, kind of annoying. I am sure Eve will find a way to avoid it, but not a super big deal to me. So far no glitches or problems with downloads or installs or updates, thank God.

Bugs:
I’ll let you know when I have one.

Conclusion:
Super pleased with my purchase and glad I didn’t go to work today. Worth the money 100%. No regrets. I wish it could have arrived quicker, however, I do realize and acknowledge the project management triangle: Cheap, Fast or Good. We chose cheap and good, so fast wasn’t gonna happen. That being said, Eve Team hit a lot of hurdles on the way and made decisions some may not have agreed with. I however believe they made the right ones. And this V is a testament to that. This shows that, in the end, it was all VVorth it. :innocent:

UPDATE

Performance:
Has been pretty much smooth and flawless. Occasionally I will see a stutter, but I bought this model knowing that. I accept the slight performance drops now and then.

Tried overwatch and it wasnt all that great. I was updating league at the time, so the lag could have been network (cause there’s no way I suck, you kidding me?!).

Now works well. Really smooth on lowest settings, but it is really smooth. I am impressed by the high frame rate.
Hearthstone was great.
I will also test league of legends, which I am confident will run fine.

Battery:
I will wait until a couple of days before coming to a conclusion on it. However, it so far seems decent. I have it set to maximum performance and the battery seems to have lasted 5 hours with updates and downloading A TON of programs. I have been leaving it on charge a lot too. I will do a full drain and recharge tomorrow.
I expect updates to make battery life insane.

Bluetooth:
Easy to set up bluetooth for keyboard and my logitech mouse. Have noticed that the inputs delay when PC is under 100% load on CPU. That makes sense and the load only occurred when I stressed it.

Speakers:
Before the speaker update the speakers did not sound Eve quality. They sounded like cheap Chinese speakers, bear in mind though that I did not extensively test them, listen to any high fidelity audio, and I am not an audiophile. I mostly made this judgement through listening through windows 10 sounds (notification sounds and cortana).
After update the speakers sound like I expected them to. I have not maxed them out because my parents are sleeping, but easily sound as good as my brother’s HP Spectre x360. Wish they were louder.

DAC:
Sounds great.
There does seem to be background static when nothing is playing. It is not too annoying and I can phase it out of my mind if I want to. But I’m sure it’s patchable through an update. When audio is playing no sounds can be heard.
Interestingly, a different pair of headphones, more studio oriented don’t seem to make any static sound.

Pen:
It is still premature to give a full opinion on the pen as I have not had a chance to listen to a lecture, do math problems, or draw but so far seems fair. when I took out the paper to activate the battery my spring popped out but I just shoved that sucker back on top of the battery and it seems to be working so okay. Activation distance makes sense to me. If I rub it oh so softly onto the screen, like a feather, it won’t be picked up by the screen. The little dot that tracks the pen will work but the input itself will not be picked up. It needs the slightest pressure to activate the pen input. I do have the screen protector on so this may screw up normal results. Line jitters a little, not enough for me to care. As of now the screen protector kind of screws up the texture of the screen, before applying it the writing experience felt smooth and great.

Trackpad:
Awesome texture, super smooth. I haven’t owned a mac or surface so this is the best trackpad I have ever had. As reviewers have mentioned, the trackpad only clicks on the bottom 3/4. I always assumed that trackpads were supposed to be this way, so to me it is not an issue. Size is not that big, however, I have not had an instance where I accidentally activated it with my wrists so that is a win. There have been a few occasions where the trackpad has done things I did not expect, such as double tapping causes a right click, but I can get used to that. Gestures have worked flawlessly. Interesting quirk is that my trackpad is slightly raised on the right side, so that if you rub your had from the left and right edges of the keyboard towards the trackpad, you’ll find that when hitting the trackpad, the right side is slightly more elevated than the cloth, while the left is on level with it.

Grateful to the @Team for making this for me. For taking all the desires, love, criticisms, and hate and turning it into something that you and I both belieVe in. God bless you guys!

I appreciate it and I would love to have the opportunity to work with/for you in the future after I graduate or in an internship.

Thanks for your detailed remarks. I’d love to hear your thoughts about the pen and speakers if you’ve had a chance to try them out!

What is the battery like? Duration?

Also, great review my friend.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the speakers after installing the updated drivers.

If you haven’t already completed the survey, here it is: Survey: LBs & 1 TBs (Jan 2018 batch) satisfaction with their Vs

As-salaamu Alaikum Mohammad Hadi brother …Cheap was not the aim of this project…it was “Value for our Money”

PS: For those who don’t know “As-salaamu Alaikum” means Peace be upon you !!!

Wa Alaikum As Salaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatahu, you are right. I meant it more relatively. I think the best way to describe it would be great value.

UPDATE

Performance:
Has been pretty much smooth and flawless. Occasionally I will see a stutter, but I bought this model knowing that. I accept the slight performance drops now and then.

Tried overwatch and it wasnt all that great. I was updating league at the time, so the lag could have been network (cause there’s no way I suck, you kidding me?!).

Now works well. Really smooth on lowest settings, but it is really smooth. I am impressed by the high frame rate.
Hearthstone was great.
I will also test league of legends, which I am confident will run fine.

Speakers:
Before the speaker update the speakers did not sound Eve quality. They sounded like cheap Chinese speakers, bear in mind though that I did not extensively test them, listen to any high fidelity audio, and I am not an audiophile. I mostly made this judgement through listening through windows 10 sounds (notification sounds and cortana).
After update the speakers sound like I expected them to. I have not maxed them out because my parents are sleeping, but easily sound as good as my brother’s HP Spectre x360. Wish they were louder.

DAC:
Sounds great.
There does seem to be background static when nothing is playing. It is not too annoying and I can phase it out of my mind if I want to. But I’m sure it’s patchable through an update. When audio is playing no sounds can be heard.
Interestingly, a different pair of headphones, more studio oriented don’t seem to make any static sound.

Pen:
It is still premature to give a full opinion on the pen as I have not had a chance to listen to a lecture, do math problems, or draw but so far seems fair. when I took out the paper to activate the battery my spring popped out but I just shoved that sucker back on top of the battery and it seems to be working so okay. Activation distance makes sense to me. If I rub it oh so softly onto the screen, like a feather, it won’t be picked up by the screen. The little dot that tracks the pen will work but the input itself will not be picked up. It needs the slightest pressure to activate the pen input. I do have the screen protector on so this may screw up normal results. Line jitters a little, not enough for me to care. As of now the screen protector kind of screws up the texture of the screen, before applying it the writing experience felt smooth and great.

Trackpad:
Awesome texture, super smooth. I haven’t owned a mac or surface so this is the best trackpad I have ever had. As reviewers have mentioned, the trackpad only clicks on the bottom 3/4. I always assumed that trackpads were supposed to be this way, so to me it is not an issue. Size is not that big, however, I have not had an instance where I accidentally activated it with my wrists so that is a win. There have been a few occasions where the trackpad has done things I did not expect, such as double tapping causes a right click, but I can get used to that. Gestures have worked flawlessly. Interesting quirk is that my trackpad is slightly raised on the right side, so that if you rub your had from the left and right edges of the keyboard towards the trackpad, you’ll find that when hitting the trackpad, the right side is slightly more elevated than the cloth, while the left is on level with it.

Magnetic Sleeve:
Looks really trendy. The Material kind of looks like the packing material in the V box at first but it is solid and the stitching and the sides are nice. Dropping on corner seems safe but you guys can not get me to test that. The rubber/magnetic flap feels really nice. It is soft and colder than the cloth and is enjoyable to open. Solid slap close and tight hold on the V. I plan to stick the V with the keyboard in the same main slot and no issues thus far.

Coil Whine:
There is coiil whine, no where near as loud as a fan but it is there. I am okay with it. I do not think CPU was hitting 100%, so I am not sure why the sound occurred.

Could you please find some time to identify those mystery hairs?
There is a alt/something thought flowing around this hair appearance:
“Consta’s cat has been roaming around the 4PX warehouse” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Unfortunately they were my hairs and the hairs from the persian rug. I’ll try to get hairs from Konstantinos when he visits the US.

Happy to hear you got your V bro!