Speedstep vs Speedshift

performance

From what i read Speedshift is better than Speedstep (eg: hardware controls the overclocking, not windows).

This being the case should we or shouldn’t we disable (in bios/throttlestop) the Speedstep toggle?

@iKirin, i remember you testing a new bios, so i assume you would know more about this.

All i want is squeeze as much battery as possible, but keeping performance at least decent.

Thanks in advance.

Uh, i think i have placed this in the wrong category. Sorry :frowning: .

Thanks for all the edits, guys, but i still didn’t receive any response to what was nothing more than a question:
should i keep only *step enabled? or should i keep only *shift enabled? or should i keep both enabled?

From what I’ve discovered, speedshift (or whichever is the newer technology) overrides and provides its benefit over the older one so it shouldn’t matter if we leave both on and there shouldn’t be any conflict.

From my tests, that also appears to be the case, however i wasn’t sure and that’s why i asked :smiley: .
Maybe i should close this now :-?? .

Have you tried using throttlestop? Pretty good way to learn about intel technologies. You can do cool stuff like pin your cpu at 3.2Ghz at 4% utilisation.

You can’t screw up too hard either because all the dangerous options don’t do anything lol.

I was playing with throttlestop, that’s why i noticed the 2 options and hence wanted to ask about them.

Welp! You’ll notice that there’s basically f*k all info on a how to throttlestop for a Y processor; and I think I’ve Internet’d enough info to qualify for a doctorate in the care and feeding of throttlestop on a V. (if not doctorate, at least a certificate in very very convinced that i know stuff)

I’d be glad to help with any info you need - chances are I had that same question at some point.