Spectrum Update: Forging Ahead

Hey community!

Some of you have wondered why the V has been getting all the attention lately. It’s a fair question, especially as Q4 is nearing, and you are all looking forward to getting your Spectrum. Today I am excited to share a long-awaited Spectrum update with you!

Behind the scenes

Spectrum has been in a very engineering-heavy phase: For the most part, it’s engineers staring at circuit board schematics, and tooling designers making tooling models. COVID has made producing Spectrum content even more challenging as there is currently no way for our team members to enter China.

One thing that came up during this phase, and that will have been immediately apparent to anyone looking at these new images, is that the ‘port box’ on the back of the monitor has grown. This is a result of switching to newer scalers, first to allow for the high-resolution, high-refresh-rate combination of our higher-end models, and then again to allow for HDMI 2.1. The electrical engineers needed more room to make sure these newer chips were implemented without affecting temperatures or performance.

A physical manifestation of awesome

We have our first functional prototypes of Spectrum, rocking the final hardware and design. Not only do they look like Spectrum, they are equipped with the right panel, scaler, and other hardware.

These units have been built using so-called ‘soft tooling’. Though these tools have a lifespan of only fifty or so units manufactured, they are cheaper and easier to create. This allows for change and iteration as we test and check our sample monitors carefully. The main purpose of these early units, and what our team is currently working on, is to evaluate their industrial design as well as color, material, and finish (CMF). We need to confirm things such as gaps, tolerances, sharpness of edges, and color uniformity between different materials and parts. After the final details are confirmed, we will produce ‘hard tooling’, which is almost the same as the soft tooling but has a lifespan of thousands of units, allowing for mass-production.

Meanwhile, engineers are continuously expanding and improving the firmware that drives the various components inside the monitor. The functionality of these early prototypes is limited, but each firmware update unlocks more of Spectrum’s potential!

More to come

In the coming weeks, we will continue to test these prototypes, and expect to receive more advanced prototypes based on our findings and feedback. This takes time, but the most important task at hand is to make sure every single flaw is ironed out, and every bug is caught.

Among other things, we are also going to:

• make sure that all ports and connections work as specified.
  • developing the monitor’s firmware and initial OSD.
  • send units out for all appropriate testing and certification, such as HDMI, HDR, FreeSync, etc.
  • develop standard operation procedures (SOPs), a sort of assembly manual for factory workers.
  • develop a quality standard for final quality control, which will dictate tolerances like those for pixel defects, light leaks, and other defects.
  • test packaging for durability and safe shipping.

Public appearances

With prototypes that look as they should and contain the final hardware, some may wonder what’s keeping us from shipping out these monitors yet. Let’s start by reiterating that from now until shipping this Q4, the most important thing is to make sure each Spectrum we ship is of exceptional quality. Nothing is worse than a stellar product being spoiled by little annoying daily occurring imperfections, or even complete product recalls due to scaler issues like the Odyssey G9 and G7 lineup.

Product reviews are also an oft-heard request. We have actually shipped one prototype unit already for an early preview (hope you’ll see a video review soon!), and more will follow in September as more and better prototypes become available with more mature firmware. We do think it’s essential that we ship the same product to you that we ship to your favorite journalists, after all, that’s the only way you can get an honest opinion about the product you purchase. Because of this, the final reviews won’t appear until much closer to shipping when we can ship Spectrum to reviewers with the same hardware, firmware, and packaging our customers will receive.

Let us know what you think!

Coming up next will be a topic with initial test results, updated measurements, and an up-to-date edition of our FAQ. So please reply with your thoughts and comments about our prototypes, and stay tuned for more on Spectrum!

nlbanner

51 Likes

The monitors are looking awesome. Are these the prototypes for 4k 144hz or 1440p 240hz monitor? Or both? Also, which of these is sent out for an early review?

10 Likes

Soooo…
Is this the model 2 or model 3?
I suppose you’ll start to ship these in November since there is still a lot of work to do, maybe even December.
I hope I’ll get the model 3 before Ps5 comes out, doubt it tho.

3 Likes

I’m not totally convinced yet about the panel…
The video “Eve Spectrum Prototype Assembly v4” is good quality, until the front of the display is shown and everything gets grainy and bad quality. If you wanna make customers at ease, take doubts away and make sure the whole video is good and consistent quality!

3 Likes

Please note that recording an image on a monitor that actually represents what you will see in person is very difficult.

@Alessio_Berto The prototypes are for the 4K@144Hz model (model 3). This is the same one that has been sent for early review.

7 Likes

Where are we with 1440p 240hz model? Can we please get an update on that model as well.

2 Likes

So, who got the early prototype for review?

4 Likes

EVE: We’re going to do lots of ‘testing’ to make sure this works right.
Also EVE: Let’s play some Valorant!

2 Likes

You’ll see… :wink:

4 Likes

I’m well aware that, “recording an image on a monitor that actually represents what you will see in person is very difficult” I film and edit video myself. But the overall video quality goes grainy and that has nothing to do with the representation of the panel on my devices.

1 Like

PLEAAASEEE tell me it’s hardware unboxed. They are so trusted. If not, please add them to your list!

7 Likes

There’s a million variables that go into recording a video of a video like that. I agree with your point, but until you get a review or the actual unit, you’re going to have doubts.

12 Likes

I really hate the Dell-style monitor mount. Makes me really regret getting the stand as I thought it would be a standard VESA-compatible stand.

1 Like

Is it really an issue? That was just a quick video to show that the device is working and allow us to see the final design. Hardly the place to expect to get a real-world representation of what the video quality is. That’s such a subjective thing anyhow since we all have different preferences.

5 Likes

Both models use the same hardware except for the panel, so until this stage development for both was on par. Now we are working on the firmware and testing for each model which will have to be developed separately, but don’t worry, the 240Hz model will ship shortly after the 4K model.

6 Likes

If you are still “only” on soft tooling, could you maybe adjust the missing plastic casing on the bottom ports? If you rotate the monitor into vertical mode, you would see the metal instead of a nice plastic casing.

7 Likes

So we can say that if the model 2 is still releasing in Q4 2020 and model 3 is before model 2, then model 3 should be released not later than november

1 Like

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t really think it is necessary. This will be the least viewed part of the monitor and even if it is in portrait I think seeing the cables sticking out from the side would bother me more than seeing some metal. I also assume there is a reason it’s done like this as both the monitors I currently used implement the same design with a bigger cutout for the display ports, with refined cutouts for the USB hub. (Possibly because some display cables have bulky housings that could interfere with more precise plastic covering).

I agree that it would look better but I would rather eve spend the time and resources perfecting the things that will actually affect the daily use of the monitor.

12 Likes

Looks great. Can’t wait for the review video. I just hope that it releases by November.

3 Likes

Good christ. Watch the prototype overview video if you want a nicer quality of the front screen. Not that it matters, because no matter how slick the video is, it won’t really indicate how good or bad the screen is, but for you critical film students…

6 Likes