Spectrum | The Future Of Firmware

I haven’t updated my Spectrum yet so its still “launch day” version. I might skip this update and wait for the next as I’m not experiencing that many issues. When I do decide to update will I be ok to install the most recent version or will I need to go through all the previous patches first?

2 Likes

they said firmware 104 does include firmware 102R875. if you skip this to 105 when it releases you will also get previous firmware with it. i needed this firmware to help address my xbox one x displaying my 4k movie in black and white. this firmware did correct it and the firmware included rtx 30s gpu support which i have a 3070 ko oc.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s getting worse or if I didn’t notice before, but it’s now doing it when at 144hz too, and is getting more noticable, both with HDR on and off. Turning the monitor off and back on seems to improve it temporarily, but the longer it’s on, the worse it gets.

1. RTX 3090 connected to HDMI port 1 with a certified HDMI 2.1 cable in Windows 10 with HDR enabled. I first noticed it on lighter screens when limiting the output fps to 72 fps and VRR/freesync on, although I’ve seen it at other refresh rates as well.
  2. I recently had reset the OSD to defaults (to see if it would fix the issue with not going into power save mode), and I think I only changed input/output settings since then. These pictures were taken while I was experiencing the issue. It was quite noticeable on the background you can see behind the OSD.

Also, did you see this post about the power save issue?

3 Likes

Could you describe your scaling issue in more detail?

I tried to post a detailed report on this issue to this community earlier, but it was not allowed by the community moderators, so it has not been posted.
To put it simply, if you are using a DisplayPort connection, setting the “Aspect Ratio” item will not work correctly for most resolutions.
The image will be forced to be enlarged to full screen.
This is not a problem with HDMI connections of the same resolution.

2 Likes

Based on my experience and information from Grant (@Lore_Wonder), availability of the “Aspect Ratio” option in the monitor menu/OSD depends on the “Performance” → “Low-latency mode” option. The “Low-latency mode” option gets grayed-out (due to being forcedly turned on if I understand correctly) when “Performance” → “Adaptive-Sync” is turned on. “Adaptive-Sync” is turned on by default, so “Low-latency mode” is grayed-out by default, and so “Aspect Ratio” is grayed-out by default too.

This is indeed confusing anyway though. Given that pixel-perfect scaling does not involve any color-averaging calculations, it should be possible to use it and change the “Aspect Ratio” option to it even in the low-latency mode. Grant is aware of this point. I also suggested to Grant that the effective value of each option should always be displayed even if the option is grayed-out, so that the user could know for sure what the current value is even if it cannot be changed.

DP and HDMI should surely behave consistently too.

3 Likes

Thank you for this! I’ve been trying all sorts of combinations on the PC side to figure out why I can never get to the aspect ratio/integer settings in the OSD.

Eve really needs to compile a matrix of features that are on/off/disabled based on the various settings. While I get it now in hindsight - VRR off + Low Latency off = Aspect ratio settings available, this should be spelled out clearly in the manual. There are quite a few settings that are reliant on other setting states.

What’s the official word on rolling back firmware versions? Is it supported? Any risk?

Edit 9/28
Since my second post about firmware rollback was merged I’ll post here.

I decided to the attempt rolling back to 102R875. The instability of 104 with VRR/Gsync was too severe for me to endure. Gaming on this monitor is my primary purpose and the screen was frequently going black in the middle of gaming sessions. Back on 102 and vrr/gsync is once again stable. Only downside so far is HDR coil whine has returned (as one would expect).

3 Likes

I’m sorry. My wording was wrong.
What I am saying is different from the issue of the aspect ratio item being grayed out.
Keep Aspect Ratio, Stretch, 1:1, Pixel Perfect
The problem is that no matter which one you select, it will always be in the stretched state. This only works correctly for certain resolutions.

1 Like

Yeah not sure, I try to scale down the white and its still super bright and bleeds like it did prior to the update so not sure why.

1 Like

Do you have a reference model, or a 3rd party model? With Grant saying they can’t replicate it, I’d thought I’d check as mine is a 3rd party, specifically Asus 6900XT Strix.

1 Like

I do not play at a different res or refresh rate. Last night i found something out though. When it happens it actually kind of refreshes the monitor. So if i open up the OSD, then alt tab out of fullscreen, the OSD goes away. Updating to 104 didnt change anything. I do not have auto input select turned on. Im really running out of options. I did use a monitor before that was 1440p 165Hz, which also needed that DP 1.4 bandwith. Now that I think about it, i used the same cable then as i am now and its the only dp 1.4 cable that i have so might have to order another one just to check. If you have any other suggestions though, please drop them. Im really running out of options.

1 Like

I’m very disappointed that input switching (DDC/VCP 0x60) still seems to not be working, and updating from 102 to 104 resulted in much more unstable experience for me:

Since updating, the monitor can no longer maintain a signal on the Type-C port for more than 2~5 seconds. It goes black for a few seconds (sometimes displaying “No Signal”) before resync’ing, then failing a few seconds later. This repeats indefinitely, causing all sorts of havoc in Windows. After enough cycles of this, sometimes the monitor itself seems to lock up entirely until I power cycle it.

Some details:

• It defaulted to “prioritize data bandwidth”, but the problem persisted even with “high refresh rate”
  • Am using an SDR 4k@144Hz DP signal, which was working perfectly fine before the firmware update. The problems started the moment I power cycled after updating.
  • The full-sized DP port does not have the same problem and appears to work normally.
  • GPU is NVIDIA GTX 1650 with recent drivers (using a DP → USB Type-C cable)

EDIT:
I’m having issues with the HDMI port as well, from strange low-frequency backlight flickering to occasional blackouts for a few seconds :frowning:

1 Like

I think I’m going to downgrade back to the previous 102 firmware. The only thing 104 fixed for me was improving the input detection startup time, but introduced several new bugs that make usage annoying (flickering, occasional blackouts, HDR randomly going hugely washed out, no power save mode).

3 Likes

3rd party. ASUS TUF 6900xt

2 Likes

If my specific input/output isn’t on, where select automatically is on, the monitor stays black until I either turn it off and then back on or use the back button and select the input/output.

Update: turns out if I turn on my monitor first, I have zero issues with this.

1 Like

after updating to 104 , i still getting HDR high-frequency noise , thats so annoying , even hdr off i heard noise while screen is get more bright sometimes , so 104 fix nothing

2 Likes

So I’m updating to 104 right now and after the power cycle it showed Processing update… then it disappeared and now I’m on a black screen with the power light on green. What do I do now?

The indicator light on the monitor should gradually change from green to blue to indicate the update is in progress, and eventually to purple, indicating the update is completed. In some cases (Happened to me too), the update might get stuck on the green light. If this happens, and you’ve left it for a few minutes already with no progress, you can try to power cycle the monitor again. I would recommend you take a look at the instructions included in the update download files, as it explains this process with more details.

4 Likes

Thank you, I did look at the pdf with the file and followed the instructions, it looks like it is stuck to me as it’s been about 10 ish minutes with no indication of progress. I’ll do another power cycle

I think this thing is fried it just flashed red and it’s saying processing update and the light is now a solid bright green

1 Like

after the first power cycle it came up as a process cycle i waited until it ask me to power cycle the monitor a second time. i powered cycled it a second time. like me also my screen was black as well. what i did was then turned off my monitor and pc as well. waited a few seconds then turned both my pc and monitor back on. i went into osd to see it the firmware was updated. it did showed i had the latest firmware installed(104).

1 Like