Spectrum | Screen Blanking Issue

@nkyadav Does the Eve Spectrum use the same panel as the LG 27GP950?

I happened to find this Reddit thread where the LG 27GP950 has the exact same VRR blanking issue:

If so, perhaps it’s a hardware issue then. That being said there is hope as LG did release a firmware update a few months ago for that monitor that some users mentioned worked for them but as the thread is archived there isn’t able to be any active replies anymore.

Could you perhaps reach out to LG for information on how they potentially solved it?

1 Like

I also experience screen blanking issues on my series X, although not during gameplay. The issue arises when I launch a game or quit a game. I fix by pressing the Xbox button (menu) a few times and it comes back to life, not sure why but good to know a firmware update is in the works to solve this :slight_smile:

Yes exactly the same panel. Different scaler tho’.

It’s been a known problem since the first people got the spectrum. Either they can’t fix it or the scaler simply doesn’t support variable resolutions/framerates to the extend it should.

I’m still having bad blanking issues on my macbook m1 max + usb c cable at 4k/144hz
I have no issues at 4k/60hz
I have a certified usb c cable and tried 3 different cables and they all have issues
It seems like its not stable at 4k/144hz, is there a way to force 120hz by chance?

Hi everyone,

Our firmware team has managed to come up with an update that fixes the issue with PS5 VRR which caused screen blanking on Spectrum.

While this fix is intended to specifically address PS5 VRR compatibility, we would like to also test the possibility of this firmware fixing other issues that can cause blanking. This is where we need the community’s help to do collective data to see if this test firmware fixes the blanking issue in general. For anyone who is willing to give it a try, please visit Niraj (@nkyadav)'s post below to find out more about the update.

PLEASE NOTE*** This firmware is still a test bin, so please proceed with caution.

EDIT: Below is the most recent test bin. Much more stable.

4 Likes

I’ve the black screening a lot as well - it changes over time a bit.

what i lately noticed is that it does not happen as much, when i set the windows resolution to the target resolution of the game.

Hi @GordonHo,

Sorry that you are still experiencing the issue. A question for you:

What does this mean? Did you mean you play game in different resolution compared to the windows resolution?

Hi @GordonHo,

In addition to Theo’s question, is this with fw 106 or the most recent test bin?

1 Like

Just a quick update. I have had almost 0 blanking issues with my setup for the last month or so. I am running a 6900XT with my Spectrum (FW6). Only things that have changed apart from updating graphics drivers is limiting my framerate to 143 instead of 140. I think I’ve only seen it happen once in the last month, but it may not even been the monitor that caused it. at its worst I would see this happen at least once a day

1 Like

Everyone here:

I would like you all to test this test build of a firmware and report if it helps blanking issues at all.

Yes, it is in the PS5 VRR thread, and includes fixes for that particular issue - but I’ve had 0 blanking issues on my Spectrum using an RTX 3080 Ti, and others have also reported that flickering is non-existent.

I’m hoping that you all will give us feedback on how much, if at all, this test build helps.

2 Likes

I was getting blanking a fair bit, The only way I resolved this was by turning G-sync off, switching to 60Hz and disabling HDR. I still have to reset the monitor tow or three times when I first boot up, but at least Elden ring is less frustrating Please can you fix this I spent a hell of a lot of money on a SDR, 60Hz monitor it seems.

Just to clarify, 3080 TI GPU, Windows 10 first now 11 full 4K HDMI cable latest drivers and update on monitor.

Which latest update on there monitor?

As @nkyadav mentioned above, it’s important that you clarify exactly which update you’re running on your Spectrum.

If you haven’t tried the PS5.Test4 firmware yet, I strongly recommend giving it a go. There’s a few of us testing it and it’s been fairly stable so far.

2 Likes

Hey sorry, Blackout issues on both 106 and the test4 build, I can use 120Hz without issue now though with gaming I cannot change fps limit to anything other than 120 or it starts to black out after 10-15 minutes, but still cannot use HDR or G-sync. I seems that when a program is loading i.e. a game with G-sync/HDR/different refresh rate to what I’ve set it knows the monitor out of sync with the pc. Same as booting up It doesn’t say no signal its just a blank screen so I have to pull the power once or twice to get a picture. My GPU drivers are up to date with completely fresh installs.

3 Likes