Spectrum Q&A session

Hi there,

thanks a lot for your work so far at this monitor. I am really intrested in this.

Currently VEGA announced a new Standard with DisplayPort 2.0 ( https://vesa.org/press/vesa-publishes-displayport-2-0-video-standard-enabling-support-for-beyond-8k-resolutions-higher-refresh-rates-for-4k-hdr-and-virtual-reality-applications/ ). Would it be possible to extent the current Port with the new DP2.0?

Or at least in a second ( or third ) hardware-update?

Kind regards,
cvantum

3 Likes

Hello, I am very interested in this project, I have been looking for a monitor that I can use for both gaming with a high refresh rate and for creative work with good colors and brightness but those are very hard to find and very expensive, this one hits all the right marks, do you have an estimate of the price yet?

Where will you sell it, I read that you will ship worldwide but what sellers will there be in the US? Will you sell through Amazon? IMO selling on Amazon will help you a lot because many people trust them and their buyer protection.

1 Like

Not to repeat myself.

1 Like

I am not sure but I think that would depend on the panel and they have already chosen one

At this time, a number of basics including the panel we want to use are already locked down. So sorry to say, yes, a bit late…

16:10 was the most popular aspect ratio behind 16:9 back when we polled for the display’s basic specs. As someone who also uses a 16:10 screen, I agree that the extra vertical space is a great addition.

Sadly, not many seem to be sharing our views worldwide, as the demand seems to be for ever-wider aspect ratios, and that’s what the manufacturers are looking to provide… Looking at the product roadmaps for a number of display makers, it seems that 16:10 display panels are few and far between, and they rarely if ever have a focus on broad color gamut, high refresh rate, and the like…

That said, going from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440, I’d consider it winning yet another 240 vertical lines, and a lot more horizontal!

3 Likes

A very valid question @TheColdTurtle!

It’s true that we have had challenges in the past. We have learned a lot along the way. Mostly, they were caused by the business model we selected, which we haven’t spoken about before.

Before

Originally, we wanted to be a small team in Helsinki focusing on crowd-development, design and hardware development while letting “professionals” focus on the manufacturing, sales and after-sales service. Because of this, we decided to create the V with a licensing business model in mind. We would develop and design a product with you guys, create all the necessary tools and processes for production, and licence it to sales partners in various regions. Our Helsinki team and company would invest funds into the R&D, design, brand, and marketing of the brand itself while sales partner would be able to use it for a fraction of the cost by paying us a licence fee per unit sold, taking care of manufacturing, shipping, replacements and so on.

This licensing business model is very common. For example, when you buy a Porsche notebook, Angry Birds toy or Starbucks instant coffee in a supermarket those brands didn’t make it nor did they sell it to you: they just licensed the brand, and in some cases the design etc. The scope of these agreements varies.

We decided to start by making a 2-3 year licensing deal with a few key partners around the world that would license our product and brand. So when the V was ready for production, we found few partners like Shenker in Germany, partners in China selling the V on JD and TaoBao, and others. Originally everything was going smoothly, but later problems started happening. First with one partner in the supply chain, then later in finances with PayPal funds, then with refunds and so on. Since the contract was fixed for 3 years we couldn’t walk away from it and so we could not handle sales directly nor impact the issues. Licensing revenue to our team also dropped as partners struggling with frozen funds couldn’t pay the licence fee to us.

In the meantime, we were trying to find new partners but problems with people not getting devices affected that. We were caught in a pretty ugly situation. We couldn’t just walk away from that sales partner: Not only did we have a fixed contract, but customers had trusted the Eve brand and would be left without recourse if we did.

We didn’t mention this previously as our contract had a pretty strick NDA and we respect those plus it would look like us rolling the blame, and we didn’t want to make the relationship with struggling sales partner any worse. To summarise what happened, had to rely on a sales partner who we did not have control of other than contractual.

From now on

We are taking a more traditional approach with Spectrum and Muse. We will handle sales ourselves with a newly established business structure, and PCH International will provide the supply chain financing needed to make sure we don’t run into issues. This time around we won’t be depending on anyone else when it comes to handling sales. Our original business model was great in theory, but this is much safer way to do business. Right now, people who are waiting for a refund or unit have purchased a device from our sales partner that is struggling. While that sales partner is doing the best they can to handle their obligations, we will make sure to help people out from sales revenue of Spectrum and Muse, as well as V’s successor once that comes, or a good funding round.

Phew! That was a long one :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Yeah…thought so. It’s really a shame that 16:10 is such an underestimated ratio. After using it once i don’t wanna ever miss it again. But as you said…they are rarely offered and if than they are mostly offered with bad specs and no Freesync. It’s really a shame :frowning_face:

1 Like

As for the doorstep part :). Spectrum will be shipping end of this year. We will announce the price in advance once we lock the Industrial design and the quality standard (we will discuss it here with you folks)

6 Likes

sRGB. Windows does not know how to approach wide color gamut screens. Will Spectrum have proper sRGB profile?

Could you clarify a bit? I want to ask it straight from the manufacturer! Or do you mean that not all apps accept the monitor native calibration?

will Spectrum have variable overdrive?

Yes

will you ask for support any of the well known monitor-related sites, like tftcentral, rtings etc?

Totally. Brilliant idea. We will ask them to test protos out and feedback to us for tuning/changes

how thick will the bezels end up being?

Will share the concepts soon. But this is a panel with extremely slim borders apart from the bottom where some space is needed. How would you like them to be?

4 Likes

Thanks for these clarifications, really feel good to know the story from your side. Looking forward to the Spectrum and Muse.

2 Likes

The less bezels the better … Ideally they would be eliminated entirely, but I know that’s not possible.

Sure!
Using https://imagescience.com.au/knowledge/using-wide-gamut-monitors and https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/al9ulj/95_dcip3_vs_srgb_100_xv272u_vs_vg271u/ and quoting from both:

let’s talk about the difference between the two color-spaces, sRGB and DCI-P3. What matters most is the color space used in the development of the game. EVERY PC game since the mid- to- late-90s has used sRGB. That means that you want 100% sRGB coverage in order to adequately represent what the game’s artists were trying to convey. And you can really go 98-102% as most people cannot tell the difference from being 2% off. Modern IPS panels are typically ~99-100%.

Going noticeably above 100% is NOT a good thing, contrary to what marketing departments want you to think. This leads to over-saturation and inaccurate color representation. Going below 100% can lead to grossly under-saturated content.

As Spectrum can display ~135% of sRGB, it will lead to over saturated colors in many cases where content is not color-corrected by software. Because of this, sRGB emulation mode would be super useful : )

The LG 34GK950 F has a native DCI-P3 mode and an emulated sRGB mode and the quality of that mode is a lottery. The TFTCentral unit achieved ~97% sRGB coverage, which is acceptable but not great. The PCMonitors review unit was ~91%, which is pretty bad.

As we can see, the quality of that mode is not easy to get right. For normal Windows user, I would say that having properly working sRGB mode is more important that <1 color delta in most cases.

All in all, I would love to have proper sRGB mode that’s accurate.

6 Likes

I’m partial to LG design language, when it comes to front monitors. Bottom bezel that’s a dark rectangle is okay, especially if it’s designed in stealth mode and without any logos, leds etc : )

1 Like

We will announce the price after we get the design locked down. Worry not! Price will be fair sir!

8 Likes

We would love too but after investigating it we realized it would increase the cost substantially (at least 100 USD for direct bonding and another 150 USD for the good metal mesh touch) and that’s just the cost. So we will keep it in mind as a possible future option! Anything is possible :smiley:

AES would be the cheapest option as it doesn’t require any modifications to the panel itself but rather only a separate touch IC.

2 Likes

That’s amazing to hear. I’m bit worried that it’s hard to implement properly, considering how rare I see it, but I’m crossing my fingers.

Cheers for asking! We will ask the manufacturer!

3 Likes

Will make sure to ask from the manufacturer!

1 Like

Well it will be officially certified by Nvidia and Freesynch 2 but yes it is tricky!

1 Like

I have an other question :slight_smile:

As far as i see you will ship this Montior with VESA Mounting-Holes for external Monitor-Arms. I already have one for a monitor on my desk. Do you guys are thinking about some eve-styled monitor arm ( single and/or dual ) as a additional accessory?

Or a nice holder for people who already own a eve notebook and just need something to place it.

Kind regards
cvantum

3 Likes