Spectrum Multi-Display and Multi-Device Recommendations

Apologies if this has been addressed - I didn’t see a recent topic for it. I thought it would be useful to have a thread dedicated to common Spectrum use cases and the corresponding “best practice” configurations.

Many of us are probably not using (or planning to use in my case) the Spectrum as our only display. In addition, many of us are likely planning to use the Spectrum with multiple devices. Speaking for myself, the additional capabilities the Spectrum offers over the competition with regard to Power Delivery, USB connectivity, and video pass-through are a big part of what attracted me to the display.

For both my own education as well as future reference, this topic will hopefully serve to find the optimal configuration for various common Spectrum use cases.

Priorities for finding the best configuration:

• Fully utilizing the spec of the Eve Spectrum and any connected devices
  • Doing so while using the fewest number of cables
  • Allowing for the most convenient switching between devices and displays

It may be helpful to organize configurations by both the number and type of devices, as well as the number and type of displays. For example, some users have purchased multiple Eve Spectrums, while others (such as myself) plan to use the Eve Spectrum alongside other displays.

My devices:

1. Windows PC
    – Ryzen 5900X
    – RTX 3080
  2. Windows Laptop
    – DP output over USB-C
  3. MacBook Pro 15" (2017)
    – DP output over Thunderbolt

My displays:

1. Dell UP2720Q
  2. Eve ES07D03
  3. LG C8 OLED

My desktop PC will be the only device connected to the C8, however I’m limited to an HDMI cable here as the run is 30’ and my TV doesn’t have Display Port. My 3080 only has one HDMI port, leaving only DP for the Spectrum and Dell.

Ideally I would daisy-chain the Dell to the Spectrum, and use the Spectrum as my main input device. I’m just not sure about what limitations that will place on the output device.

Can anyone with a similar setup comment on how they have things set up?

Feel free to post different setups/recommended configurations as well.

Some questions that have popped into my mind:

1. What is the easiest way to switch a Spectrum and a second display from one device to another?
  2. What is the easiest way to use the Spectrum as a display for one device, and a second display for another device?
  3. If I use video pass-through with the Spectrum, will I limit its ability to display 4K/144?
  4. My UP2720Q covers the Adobe RGB color space, while the Eve Spectrum will work best in the P3 color space. Can I use these two displays simultaneously with different color spaces, or will I need to choose a color space which will apply to both?

My current plan is to use DP to connect my Spectrum permanently to my Windows PC. I will then use the USB-C port with PD on the Spectrum to connect either my Windows laptop or MacBook. Where I get fuzzy is how I should go about connecting my Spectrum to my Dell UP2720Q. At minimum I’d like to be able to select an input on the Spectrum and have both displays switch to that input. Ideally I’d be able to have different devices using each display if I wanted, but I’m not sure if that’s possible.

I haven’t received my Spectrum yet, so I’m unable to provide first-hand experience. I think part of my confusion stems from the fact that I haven’t seen Spectrum’s OSD in action, so I can’t picture what switching inputs will be like.

The Spectrum 4K doesn’t support passing through video to another display. Only the base 1440p@144Hz model is going to support DP passthrough.

It looks like your Dell may be able to do DP passthrough over USB-C, so you might be able to connect that way. However, you’ll probably be limited to 4K@60Hz due to DP bandwidth limitations.

Ah, right you are. I missed that only one of the Spectrum models will support daisy-chaining.

I think you’re correct about the Dell, however. So it seems my ideal solution would be separate DP cables for each display from my desktop PC so as to allow for 144Hz on the Spectrum. And then a DP over USB-C cable from the Dell to one of my two laptops, with the Spectrum daisy-chained to the Dell for laptop use. I only need/want 144Hz from my desktop, so no issues there.

Now I’m wondering if the Dell could pass a 4K/144Hz signal via daisy-chaining. It uses Thunderbolt for both upstream and downstream links, so I believe it should have a little more bandwidth available than the Spectrum.

I used to use DP pass through on my old Dell Ultrasharp monitors before I upgraded to my two Spectrums. I had to enable MST which caused problems. I think this was because it used DP 1.2. I think if yours uses 1.4 then you can DSC which is much better.

Looking at your specs it seems it uses TB3 as the method to daisy chain. The problem is that will require you to plug your Mac into the Dell monitor and then daisy chain to the Spectrum which does not let you use the 100 W PD charging. One solution may be to get a dock that allows you to pass through the 100 W charging (either TB3 or USB 3.2). Then you can connect the Spectrum and Dell to that dock and still charge your Mac.

Luckily the Dell has 90 W PD charging over Thunderbolt. Not quite the 100W of the Spectrum, but I think 90W is all my MacBook needs.

The USB-C cable has 4 data lanes that can be used for DP. If you’re daisy-chaining then it uses 2 lanes per display.

Depending which DP version is used, you’ll either end up with 4K@30 or 4K@60 on each display.