Spectrum | How we step up the samples

Beloved community,

Today we are excited to bring you something inside, tangible, and combined with loads of photos about your favorite Spectrum!

Shed more light on the progress

We are aware that you guys want to know more about how we evaluate our prototypes, or what we have done to advance the quality of Spectrum based on the samples we get. We are going to follow it up in this post! The primary goal of inspecting these samples is to check color, material, and finish (CMF) and industrial designs (ID), and we pay extra attention to details. We came up with a handful of suggestions based on which our manufacturer will improve Spectrum. It is important to note that each prototype’s potential improvement area is different because it is built by hand. As mentioned in the FAQ, one sample is with us; therefore, most discoveries and feedback discussed in this post are based on the one we have.

Take a close look at the sample

CMF:

Spectrum’s stand is made of aluminum with high-grade plastic covering the mechanical part. As you can see from the picture, the stand’s plastic color (pointed out by the yellow arrows) is slightly lighter than the monitor’s back (pointed out by the blue arrow). We want them to match. Our manufacturer confirmed that the usage of various paintings caused it.

The painting on the side of the “port box” feels different than that of the monitor’s back if we run our fingers across them. We want a universal finish across the entire back housing, no matter which angle the parts are facing. It was the “soft tooling” – assembling the sample by hand – introduced the feeling difference.

Ports

We found that plugging in a cable on the side will not fit – the gap between the inner port and the frame surface is too big to allow this cable to be fully inserted. We need a slight structural tweak to minimize this gap.

Tactile feedback

How do we know that we have rotated Spectrum into a perfect landscape or portrait position? Hold it when adjusted to the right spot, and feel a “click” reflected on our hands! The monitor is not forced into position, meaning we can still rotate the monitor to other angles, but it prefers to be at landscape or portrait. This tactile feedback is not present in our sample due to the absence of a nub. We would also like to hear a satisfactory “click” when we put the stand’s quick-release into position.

Joystick

The joystick is the button we use to control the OSD menu. Because it needs to click to four directions easily and feel good to our fingertips, we designed it to be made of a rigid material with a rubbery, cozy touch surface. It also includes a slightly curved top for a better grip. However, on our sample, the entire joystick is a soft rubber; instead of facilitating navigation, it is good at …being folded on itself as shown in the picture above. The wrong joystick material caused this issue.

LED

The LED on our sample has a blueish tint to it, so does that of other samples, which you may have noticed from early photos of Spectrum prototypes we revealed. It also switches itself on bright and blue when the monitor is plugged in and maintains the same static color no matter the monitor is working, idle, or off. Because the current firmware is in its first functional version, the lack of OSD control makes the LED blast its full power. It should be RGB and the default being pure white, with its standby behavior being pulsing. The snapshot above is our LED instruction document to which our manufacturer will refer.

Tolerances

The top part of our sample is a bit shaky. Tolerance of the “soft tooling” caused it to not fit as precisely as using “hard tooling,” which will apply to mass production. We need to achieve a zero-wobbly Spectrum with more advanced samples.

You can see from the pictures that the gap between the stand’s vertical part and base part is too big to achieve a clean line where the two pieces join. We want the tolerance to be reduced to create a less visible line.

As shown, after the stand is connected to our sample, the joint part is slightly higher than the monitor; we want them to be flush. “Soft tooling” led to this issue during assembly.

There are gaps between our sample’s frame edge and display components – we can see through the monitor at a few points if we put our eyes on the same level. Moreover, there are a few bumps on the outer surface, and the display surface does not line up on a corner. It is another issue caused by the assembly process.

Community concerns

We are aware that several community members are worried about whether Spectrum can operate normally under the current ventilation hole amount and size. A good time to obtain accurate thermal results is when more of Spectrum’s function is unlocked and controlled by new firmware so that all components can work as intended instead of continually running at full blast or underpowered.

As suggested by our community, we would like to paint the inner metal box to minimize contrast to the outer housing to approach a more premium appearance.

Other

When we put together the stand, we found that the stand’s base can be incorrectly mounted backward, which will result in the monitor tipping over. We would like to tweak the connector where the stand parts join to eliminate the possibility of mounting backward physically.

The war of perfection begins

We have received and discussed multiple rounds of feedback from our manufacturers detailing their changes according to our feedback. Most of the issues we discovered will be addressed in the next production run of samples. For example, the painting will be monitored by professional quality engineers, and 3D is changed to push the side ports closer to the housing. Furthermore, a joystick made of rigid material and leather paint will replace the unusable soft rubber. A higher-quality stand will also be assembled, and our manufacturer will apply reduced tolerances.

What’s next

We will continue spotting and ironing out every single bug we catch on our first prototypes. We will share more content with our community as new prototypes or firmware become available. Talk soonTM!

nlbanner

50 Likes

Glad to see the updates! Keep em coming!

13 Likes

Update looks quite good, I quite like that solution with painting bottom ports. I hope that testing temperatures will end up well, and can will not be required, as it would be quite a problem for me - it would cause noise… If there is too much heat, I would recommend just bigger heatsink, or vapor chamber, and maybe changing some of the outer’s part of spectrum, from plastic to iron, which has better conductivity, and could imo help this. I would also recommending testing in bit higher temperature environment, up to 40C, as in summer, in some parts of the world it is getting really hot. I would also like if eve can do bit of testing, if direct sunshine can not overheat spectrum.
Then, there is one problem, that exists longer, but I noticed it just now - coating. The coating in my opinion has really weird reflections. There still are reflections, but quite weird, as they are no longer sharp, I think it really looks bad. I would really suggest eve to reconsider adding glossy finish option, and if it is not possible for eve to make more surface options because of price, maybe even to consider making it glossy by default. The thing is, that glossy finish allows for better blacks, sharpness, and although it makes reflections better, it makes them look normal, more sharp, so they do not look so weird. I am really not sure what is advantage of matte coating, although before, I saw less reflections as advantage, but now when I saw how these reflections look… I would really prefer glossy finish.

5 Likes

Firstly they aren’t changing the finish, so this is a non discussion for the current release.

Also it’s not as simple as matte looks one way and glossy looks another way as there are different levels to this. Now my personal opinion is glossy does look better, but the environmental conditions for it to look better is a deal-breaker for a lot of individuals. It looks better in natural light, but if you are a streamer and need high powered overhead lighting, then it kills any glossy finish monitor. Also if you are in an office and can’t necessarily control the lighting, then glossy is a problem for you. If you are at home, and during the evening you switch on the lights, even these can be a problem. Usually the only solution is to crank up the panel brightness way up (if it can go high enough to mitigate the issue), this can cause eye strain.

More can be found on matte vs glossy here:
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/matte-vs-glossy-monitors/

From the images in the first post, i think eve actually has a very light matte coating (a half way option). there is a photo in which you can make out a slight reflection.
From the article:
Samsung introduced a similar ‘very light matte’ (low-haze) screen surface to their SA850 series PLS (Plane to Line Switching) monitors and it has been used on more recent models as well, including some PLS and curved VA models. The surface makes use of a novel glass substrate processed to give a haze value of around 18%, which is considerably lower than the 24-28% typical on a Samsung TN panel monitor with matte screen surface. The screen surface texture is also smoother due to the process used. The end result is that the image and glare handling characteristics are some way between a ‘regular’ matte surface and a glossy surface. The image below compares the S27A850D (with a low-haze screen surface) to the Samsung 2030BW (regular matte screen surface) with both screens switched off. On the S27A850D you can see the outline of the windows facing the screen, whereas on the 2030BW you can see some slight glare at the periphery but no reflection. When the S27A850D is switched on to a reasonable brightness this generally isn’t an issue, as with the BenQ models."

As always, I implore people to click on the link to view the full article if you want to know more. Pcmonitors.info is a great site - that also does great reviews.

5 Likes

The picture you that was used before, is what I mean by weird reflection. The thing is that as eve used very light matte coating, it imo made reflections look really bad. From last picture you posted, there is visible same effect. I think that right model there looks ok, but model on left is just little bit weird and it has quite a lot of reflections, but these are just weirder than normal glossy reflections, which are more sharp.
The reason why I hope eve would reconsider this is, that it would not require any bigger changes, just one part would be different when using glossy / matte. At least from what I know, eve even would not have to change anything else, if they made glossy glass same size.

2 Likes

Reflections while the monitor is switched off is a non-problem. It is highly unlikely you will see any reflections when the monitor is switched on at a normal brightness level. This isn’t necessarily true for a glossy finish, where ambient light is easily reflected. The monitor on the right in the bottom picture is a proper matte coating, if you are worried about reflections you should be lobbying for more matte not a glossy finish. I actually don’t understand the point you want to make, it just sounds like you are saying that you want more “clarity” in the reflections. Whereas most people want no reflections, you seem to want better and clearer reflections. I think EVE’s solution is good enough (subject to testing) for most use cases, minimal to no reflections when the monitor is switched on, without having the full extent of the downsides of matte coating.

8 Likes

The think is, that I am talking about situation when monitor is off. When you have monitor in room, where you oftenly are, it may be many times off, while you are there, and when it is off, it just does not look good. I would rather prefer full reflection, or no reflection at all, but this is somewhere in middle. And why do I not want full matte, but glossy then? Because of blacks, look…
Although there are people, for which glossy finish would be terrible as you said, there are also many that would want glossy finish, and that is why I think there should be two option, so everyone can choose, what is best for them.

2 Likes

Thx for the update guys! Just reserved my model yesterday! Hopefully it looks as good as the goals portray it to be!

3 Likes

No reflection at all is quite hard to do. Essentially you’ll get something like this:

Blackest black

Matte screens diffuse the light so that the reflections are a bit ‘fuzzy’ so to say. This has some advantages when the screen is turned off as well. As movements and objects are less recognizable in the reflection your brain isn’t triggered as much by those. Thus it would be less distracting when it’s off. Personally I would prefer fuzzy reflections over having some kind of dark mirror on my desk (which is what a glossy screen will result in).

That all being said, I also had the fortune to setup the Spectrum prototype. For those who don’t know, our team is spread across a few countries. Normally we’d fly in on such occasions, but due to corona this isn’t possible. I’m one of the team members not being able to visit the office. And, due to some scheduling conflict, I didn’t have as much time with Spectrum as I’d like but I took some pictures anyway. (they aren’t as consistent as I’d like since other members were testing other stuff at the same time. But it gets the idea across).

First: worst case scenario. Spectrum with a open window with the sun blasting outside. You clearly see the reflection, though I think you would still be able to use it, it’s not the best of experiences. The window is located 1 ~ 1.5 m away from Spectrum and I’m sitting in between. Fortunatly, there are things like curtains and blinds that stop a direct attacking your Spectrum experience. So we closed the blinds. Though the did dim the room somewhat, they mostly diffused the light.

Same position but this time with the blinds closed (and those colors look amazing)
As you can see, way less reflection, arguably no intrusive ones. The only change is closing the blinds to get less direct light on Spectrum.

Finally this one: My intention was to show off black uniformity (even though it would still change a lot with better tooling). And I quite failed in that regard. What it does show is reflection on a turned on screen, but entirely black. The white ‘stains’ you can see are not the result of light bleed or anything like that. It’s just reflections. For this picture we turned Spectrum 90 degrees to face a wall, the window of the previous photo’s is now located on the right, still with the blinds closed.

Now i know this is in no way scientific. And you guys like numbers and proof and all kinds of exact measurements I don’t have. Sorry for that. I would’ve loved to actually rented a photo studio and control all variables, test all kinds of stuff for you guys. It’s still something we are considering at this point for the next prototypes :wink: But here is at the very least more information and real world examples of how Spectrum would look like.

Here’s a bonus close-up of the Eve logo on the stand. :smiley:

26 Likes

The last picture (not the stand, last of monitor :smile:), shows my biggest problem with this kinda coating. You just see screen being grayish even when off / low brightness, because coating spreads the light across it, so even when the light lighting on spectrum is different in different areas, there is no visible difference cause of coating, rather same gray color. I would prefer having it glossy, so although it would behave like mirror, it would behave like more things normally do, and if light does not shine on whole spectrum, there will be visible more black areas, and more light ones, which would imo look lot better. Also if the light was same in all areas, glossy finish would look darker, and as I am person who prefers good blacks, I would prefer glossy finish. Also, I was kinda surprised how bad was visibility of part of monitor after sun shined at it, as it is quite bright screen with coating.

3 Likes

It’s not off or low brightness. Due to the “alpha” firmware, we don’t have great brightness control (none as far as I found). All pictures are on the same brightness. It’s just a black screen.
I get that some people prefer the glossy finish, and that you are a big proponent of this. I’m not saying you’re wrong. Glossy has its advantages for certain. Black levels is one of them. However, there are negatives as well. Personally, I don’t like to see myself in the reflection when I’m on the computer. Which will happen when I have a glossy screen in a dark room (especially with the distance you have a desk monitor). I also don’t like seeing a lamp constantly being reflected in my screen. My preference is no clear reflections over black levels as I know how immersion breaking reflections can be for me.

Something else. I know a lot people, at least to me personally, complained that Spectrum would not be stable and wobble to much. Maybe even to a point of it falling over. We did some wobbling tests (shaking both Spectrum and the table it’s on). While I don’t have video evidence for it (will try with the next prototype). Spectrum is quite stable. I would argue even more stable then the dual vesa mount I’m using at home right now. Tipping it over would not happen accidentally.

16 Likes

Loving the black painted metal parts! Looks even cleaner than what I imagined!

6 Likes

Please make an option in the OSD software to turn off the LED. It’s annoying to watch movies in a dark room, if there’s a LED with a brightness set to be visible in a lightened room. In the dark, it’d be blasting really bright. It’s already annoying with my current Dell monitor, where it’s located at the bottom right corner, and also pointing downwards, but if it’s at the bottom center, it’d be really annoying. Sometimes with my Dell monitor, I put tape or something on top of it. With Spectrum, it’d be nice to be able to just turn it off. Also, hopefully the LED on Spectrum is also pointing more towards the desk and not directly towards the user.

7 Likes

Absolutely! Please rest assured that Spectrum’s LED will be user-customizable – you can completely turn it off in the OSD.

13 Likes

I’m going to disagree with the opinion the finish should be gloss or matte based on the posted photos. I disagree based on the common problem of how any photo displayed on a device can’t be as accurate or representative of the actual device.

Simply go to a store with displays and then pull up a photo of that display from the store’s website or the manufacturers. Compare the photo to the display and you’ll see the problem in making a decision based on a posted photo.

4 Likes

This right here is why you are all amazing. Finally I can turn the LED off! The fact other monitors don’t have this ability is truly appalling. Thank you.

4 Likes

I came here to make this request as well, so this is great news! An in-your-face ‘on’ indicator is a pet hate of mine, as if the huge picture being displayed isn’t enough to tell someone the screen is on. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Stop beating a dead horse. Eve has already said they are not changing it. Feel free to share your opinions the next time they make a monitor. And if you still aren’t happy with the coating, go buy a VA panel with a glossy finish instead of the Spectrum.

5 Likes

If only this had speakers… Please add low wattage speakers while you keep tweaking it. Don’t wait for V2.

I’ve already pre-ordered the 4K model, but still :woozy_face:

1 Like

That’s not a tweak, but a major change :sweat_smile:. They would have to change the casing to fit them in as well as research suppliers which I assume they already have lined up now.

4 Likes