Spectrum design update!

How would you be able to use Spectrum without the stand if the ports aren’t on the monitor?

2 Likes

I drew up a really quick sketch of what I was generally thinking.
This way, we could rotate the screen without worrying about tangling or pulling the cables.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying. If you’re using the stand it would work great. However, a lot of people responded during the initial design surveys that they wouldn’t be using the stand which led to the decision to make the stand a separate item. For anyone who choses to use an aftermarket stand or wall mount the ports need to be on the monitor.

1 Like

Ah, right, that makes sense.

My idea would only work if the base and stand were not detachable.

Back to the drawing board for me, I suppose

1 Like

Yes, that bottom bezel is really needed. There are still some electronics that aren’t completely behind the display, and the bottom bezel hides them from view…

Linus Tech Tips actually did a Techquickie episode about why desktop monitors still have bezels recently that goes into a bit more detail about the technological limitations and why they’re still a thing despite borderless smartphone screens…

6 Likes

To pile up on @Helios comment here is an actual screencap of what bezel covers

That thin yellow part on the right is the bezzel and grey stuff is what it covers in Spectrum

But tech is evolving and in few years we could hope to see bezzeless monitors.

@eldelacajita As for the cables its a valid point for sure. In the heads of designers in order to preserve the feel of blade ultra slim foot (below 9mm) is needed. On the other had your idea is also quite neat and maybe allows for a different manufacturing technique.

And here’s where we decided to not include stand by default: Spectrum so far

@Derpy_Spam it’s a superb idea BUT unfortunatelly for some of the high power ports like our Type C with 100W PD there is not enough space as well as cooling possiblity without making it really massive. Also this would make monitor less usable if people are considering a VESA arm.

5 Likes

If a round back is used and the cables are being fed into the center of said circle, then the cables won’t require more length when rotating. Though they need to stored loosely from each other.

My experience is that the length of the cables is the main issue with rotating the screen. To short cables, or cables to tightly managed don’t have the freedom of movement which makes rotating bothersome. If possible the cables need to be able to retain their movement freedom to avoid them sticking (to each other). Then, as long as you have long enough cables it wouldn’t matter.

Another way to solve the cable length is to wrap them in a spring mechanism that forces the cable to extend when they have room, and retract when they can’t have the space. But I need to really think this out. Plus is requires a major redesign (so does the circle back).

Or, option C: use math to calculate the max length of cable you need from the point where cables are routed. Try to minimize the difference or offer a way to easily rout the cables in a way they won’t need extensions from the default position.

This all won’t help with actually lifting the stand and increasing the space from the source (either laptop/2-in-1 or desktop or dock). And this all requires some major manufacturing changes so I don’t think this is in the scope of Spectrum, but it’s always fun to just throw the ideas out there. Maybe someone gets inspiration from them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is it possible for the propeller blade inspired portion of the stand to be hollow and allow the cables to go down the inside and out the bottom of the stand through that cable management opening in the back? Just an idea if it’s feasible.

Could we just do that as a clip on add on for those that want it?

1 Like

@Konstantinos @Helios Thank you for the replies and the video/image! Guess I’ll have to live with that bottom bezel a bit longer.

Regarding the stand not hiding the cables, I think it’s a design problem that will make the monitor look less good in real life than in the renders. If the thin stand is a must, could it include some cable management clips that neatly align the cables behind the stand?

[Thinks . Turns on 3d printer.]

1 Like

You mean, like this Phillips monitor?

imagen

5 Likes

Maybe it is possible to get a sneak peak update before Christmas? :smile: I’m looking atm for a new monitor (because my old one is broken now :frowning: ) and I’m really interested in spectrum, but I would like to know when it will be released (like Q1 or Q2 2020 for example) :smiley:

Looks good, I wish it had a Thunderbolt 3 port so that you can charge the laptop as you are using the display(Spectum) to do coding, play games etc…

There is :slight_smile:

1x USB PowerDelivery up to 20V / 5A (100W)

1 Like

Project Spectrum just got itself a similarly decked-out rival at a good price, hope it can undercut it.

2 Likes

It’s a VA panel so it competes with some other monitors but it’s still good

1 Like

Crossing fingers for a Jan.2020 update :soon:

3 Likes

I definitely won’t be buying an eve monitor. The fact is it looks really cheap and not even close to Microsoft surface studio level. As a result, most of the other colleagues wouldn’t recommend it.

1 Like

I don’t see how it looks “cheap”, especially when you consider that most monitors on the market with these specs have a “gaming” design that does look “cheap”

3 Likes

There haven’t been any clear renders released yet so you can’t ‘know’ it looks cheap. But you make a fair point as it doesn’t come close to Surface Studio.

Surface studio is an all-in-1, so it’s actually an computer with a non-detchable screen. Though, it can be used as a screen iirc. It’s also a touchscreen with pen-input which Spectrum isn’t.

That said: Sufrace Studio also doesn’t come close to Spectrum. Studio is glossy, Spectrum will reflect less light. Studio is also I believe 60Hz instead of 144Hz. And the studio costs about >$4000. While Spectrum price hasn’t been revealed yet, I can tell you it won’t be >$1000 :wink:

I suggest looking into Cintiq monitors if you want pen input.

6 Likes