Spectrum design update!

Looks pretty good so far!

Personally, I loved the fact that we could keep our phones on the stationary concept, would it be possible to provide a single ridge instead of the one above?
What do you guys think?

4 Likes

Had to be honest, the side USB A ports are useless. I’d rather stand up and plug a flash drive on the front panel of my PC case than risk hitting the panel while attempting to “pin the donkey’s tail” a USB device. You basically cannot see where the port is and then plugging while your hand is in a awkward position. And then add the usual frustration of trying to fit a USB to a port and then turning it the other way around only to discover that you got it right the first time so you turn it back again.

3 Likes

The side ports look kinda awkwardly placed, I probably won’t be using them frequently. They would be handy for always-plugged-in devices such as mouse, though. Liking the final design, can’t comment much on the usefulness of the stand since I’ll be using a VESA arm.

2 Likes

This is looking very good! Specially the comments regarding higher contrast ratio. 1300:1 typical is very encouraging.

I am also liking the DP output to connect another display, that will simplify my setup greatly!

Questions -

1. By using the flexibility of USB-C and USB-B inputs… Will they share the downstream USB-A/C ports? Meaning, using downstream ports for keyboard and mouse with upstream ports coming from main PC (usb-b) and laptop (usb-c) ???

2. Can we link the upstream ports to the inputs? - Meaning DP input on main PC so as to use keyboard and mouse but then setup HDMI input to work with USB-C input coming from laptop and so use keyboard and mouse with laptop? o even better use USB-C input for Video and USB ports like a dock station?!!

3. Will the Backlight Strobing feature work with Variable Refresh Rates AND Variable Overdrive AT THE SAME TIME?? or is it only two at a time,

Thanks!

1 Like

Nice to see this moving forward!

Some comments:

1 . Is that bottom bezel really needed? I mean, the tiny LED indicator and ON/OFF button is on the bottom, the electronics are on the back, the joystick is also on the back. The only reason to keep that thicker line under the screen is not to fit a small little logo, is it? Is there some other technical issue?

If there isn’t, I’d place the logo on the stand foot, or just leave it on the back, and gift the world with a completely and evenly bezel-less monitor that puts the content floating in front of you and can be put side by side in any position.

2 . The stand does still have the problem that it will not hide the cables and will always look a bit messy. Maybe a “V” shaped section could keep the “edgy” style while hiding the cable. Just a try…

3 . Routing cables under the stand does look neat, I like the idea!

4 . There are some details that still make this look like a clash of two good designs. Like that soft curve of the stand, that is otherwise absent in the rest of the design:

I guess that “merging” two designs is really a tough design challenge itself, and usually doesn’t work at all. This seems to be working, but there are still some rough (or rather soft) edges to polish.

5 . I LOVE that it has 90 degrees rotation, although I’m not sure if it’s only clockwise, or also possible to turn it counter-clockwise.

6 .The rest, specs and design wise, is also looking great. I may seem critical but I think this monitor is going to be hard to resist!

9 Likes

Also,

Stand sold separately

I would suggest not to use that expression in any marketing material, ever. It will get a lot of negative comments from reviewers, like it happened to the Surface and its keyboard. Instead, sell the full monitor and say “optionally sold without the stand for a lower price”.

I know it makes no actual difference, but that’s how human minds seem to be working as of now :roll_eyes:
I can already hear them crying that “it would have been nice to have the stand included in the pr…” AAAAAAAAGH.

7 Likes

I’m sad to admit that you have a point, this is probably not the best design route to take.

But I still want them to pull it off.

But you do have a point.

But I still want…

But…

1 Like

I like the overall look of the original Blade the best, including the stand, however as mentioned by others it would do a poor job of hiding cables. I’d make that vertical stand wider and give it a cable channel on the backside to make it possible to route at least 3 cables with them out of sight. The Bloxy stand similarly has issues with the placement of the cable routing hole making it unlikely you’d be keeping the cables out of sight. I would try to maximize the ability to hide the most commonly used cables (say power, video, and USB at a minimum) with a design that matches the design language of the monitor housing itself.

I’ve used monitors that made routing varying degrees of easy or hard. Had an HP LP2475W for years that had well hidden cable routing but it was a pain to route and unnecessarily fiddly. Also used a Dell U2413 until fairly recently that had the Bloxy hole approach and the cables were visible. I think a big enough vertical support with a nice contour – basically a V or C shape with an open back for the cables to be run down and some sort of very simple retaining device – would be perfect.

That being said I am looking to go to a single stand for my two monitors so if I used the Spectrum I probably wouldn’t be using or buying it with the included stand. I just got two of the LG 27GL850s and seem to have won the panel lottery, I’m just trying to find the right dual monitor stand for my needs at this point.

Edit: I have mixed feelings regarding whether the stand should be included or separate as the default configuration. For most of my computer using life I’ve always used the included stand and only now am I looking to go with a multi-monitor stand. From a pricing perspective, if the price is really compelling even with the stand included, then I think you should advertise the monitor as normally including the stand but also offer/mention it can be purchased without to save extra money for those with their own stand/mount solution. It seems likely to me that most of the monitor buying community that are not at the high end are going to be more interested in having a monitor come with a stand.

5 Likes

I agree with all of the above comments about hiding the cables, and cable management issues with rotating.

Would it be possible to plug cables into a square base, as shown in the Bloxy design, instead of plugging them into the back? That way, all cables could be fed straight from the side or the back of the base of the stand, instead of feeding down the back of the neck.
In my head, I’m seeing a mac-mini-style base with ports on the front/side/back, a brace leading upward toward the screen, and a screen with no cable options on the front or back. At that point, it might even be a good idea to put the buttons/joystick on the base, to keep the minimalist functionality.

If rotating the screen is a priority, having the base of the stand house the cable ports could cut down on issues.

How would you be able to use Spectrum without the stand if the ports aren’t on the monitor?

1 Like

I drew up a really quick sketch of what I was generally thinking.
This way, we could rotate the screen without worrying about tangling or pulling the cables.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying. If you’re using the stand it would work great. However, a lot of people responded during the initial design surveys that they wouldn’t be using the stand which led to the decision to make the stand a separate item. For anyone who choses to use an aftermarket stand or wall mount the ports need to be on the monitor.

Ah, right, that makes sense.

My idea would only work if the base and stand were not detachable.

Back to the drawing board for me, I suppose

Yes, that bottom bezel is really needed. There are still some electronics that aren’t completely behind the display, and the bottom bezel hides them from view…

Linus Tech Tips actually did a Techquickie episode about why desktop monitors still have bezels recently that goes into a bit more detail about the technological limitations and why they’re still a thing despite borderless smartphone screens…

5 Likes

To pile up on @Helios comment here is an actual screencap of what bezel covers

That thin yellow part on the right is the bezzel and grey stuff is what it covers in Spectrum

But tech is evolving and in few years we could hope to see bezzeless monitors.

@eldelacajita As for the cables its a valid point for sure. In the heads of designers in order to preserve the feel of blade ultra slim foot (below 9mm) is needed. On the other had your idea is also quite neat and maybe allows for a different manufacturing technique.

And here’s where we decided to not include stand by default: Spectrum so far

@Derpy_Spam it’s a superb idea BUT unfortunatelly for some of the high power ports like our Type C with 100W PD there is not enough space as well as cooling possiblity without making it really massive. Also this would make monitor less usable if people are considering a VESA arm.

4 Likes

If a round back is used and the cables are being fed into the center of said circle, then the cables won’t require more length when rotating. Though they need to stored loosely from each other.

My experience is that the length of the cables is the main issue with rotating the screen. To short cables, or cables to tightly managed don’t have the freedom of movement which makes rotating bothersome. If possible the cables need to be able to retain their movement freedom to avoid them sticking (to each other). Then, as long as you have long enough cables it wouldn’t matter.

Another way to solve the cable length is to wrap them in a spring mechanism that forces the cable to extend when they have room, and retract when they can’t have the space. But I need to really think this out. Plus is requires a major redesign (so does the circle back).

Or, option C: use math to calculate the max length of cable you need from the point where cables are routed. Try to minimize the difference or offer a way to easily rout the cables in a way they won’t need extensions from the default position.

This all won’t help with actually lifting the stand and increasing the space from the source (either laptop/2-in-1 or desktop or dock). And this all requires some major manufacturing changes so I don’t think this is in the scope of Spectrum, but it’s always fun to just throw the ideas out there. Maybe someone gets inspiration from them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is it possible for the propeller blade inspired portion of the stand to be hollow and allow the cables to go down the inside and out the bottom of the stand through that cable management opening in the back? Just an idea if it’s feasible.

Could we just do that as a clip on add on for those that want it?

1 Like

@Konstantinos @Helios Thank you for the replies and the video/image! Guess I’ll have to live with that bottom bezel a bit longer.

Regarding the stand not hiding the cables, I think it’s a design problem that will make the monitor look less good in real life than in the renders. If the thin stand is a must, could it include some cable management clips that neatly align the cables behind the stand?

[Thinks . Turns on 3d printer.]

You mean, like this Phillips monitor?

imagen

5 Likes