Spectrum and Eve USB-C cable - still only 60 HZ in Mac OS - No HBR cable?

Hello everyone,

I ordered a Spectrum with the USB-C cable from Eve, to make sure everything is compatible.
I’m on a 2019 16" MacBook Pro on Monterey and with the USB-C I only get max. 60Hz refresh.

I know that people get the 120 Hz with there Apple USB-C Thunderbolt 3 cable, with it officially supporting HBR. Does the Eve cable not support that? It didn’t say so … I have to admit. But I understood that if I would ordere official cable from Eve, it would support the monitor fully.

Or am I doing something wrong?

2 Likes

It’s currently not possible to get above 60Hz with Monterey for some reason, could be the monitor firmware or could be macOS.

1 Like

2019 MBP does not support anything above 60Hz (Change the refresh rate on your MacBook Pro or Apple Pro Display XDR - Apple Support), only M1/Apple Silicon has native support for 120Hz, or you can use an eGPU if you really want it.

I also have a 16" 2019 MBP and I got the Eve USB-C cable to ensure compatibility, I’m getting 4K 60Hz, but there’s no faster speeds available due to limitations on the computer side.

Is 144 hz over HDMI 2.1 possible on Monterey with RX 6000 cards?

Hi @kizune,

As Jeremy has stated, Only Apple Silicon/M1 Macs can support 120hz.

Please can you confirm what Macbook you have and I’ll look into this for you.

1 Like

This time I was talking about desktop Mac with dedicated GPU (RX 6900 XT) which uses HDMI 2.1

1 Like

Hi @kizune,

Have you tried updating to Firmware 105?

There have been multiple reports of Mac users being able to get 144hz after upgrading to 105.

Yes, I updated to 105. I have seen people with 144 hz using DP and M1 machines but i have tried HDMI 2.1 and DP over USB-C using AMD RX 6900 XT and had no luck. At this point I guess it’s either just an OS limitation or I explicitly have to use full size DP on monitor side.

is there a v105 firmware ? where?

1 Like

There’s a whole forum thread dedicated to the 105 firmware.

It’s marked as “early access” because the firmware came out during a period where the website couldn’t be updated. It should be considered a “final” firmware rather than a beta or release candidate.

1 Like

I actually need to correct this, because I tested with another (Philips) 4k 144hz display, and it can actually support 4k120Hz over USB-C with my 2019 16" MBP (has an AMD graphics card built-in). It’s a bit confusing because they only list maximum monitor resolutions at 60Hz, but the computer can drive it to 4k 120Hz on USB-C. My Eve Spectrum running firmware 104 only shows up to 60Hz. I don’t know if there’s a practical difference, I haven’t been able to really test if animations are rendered at 120Hz.

2 Likes

I’ve now found out that this is incorrect. The Intel 2019 MBP actually can support greater than 60hz. It tops out at 120hz, though.

Here’s an example of a list collected of what combinations work:

I haven’t been able to make it work with the Spectrum, but it worked on a 27" LG.

Intel-based MBPs can do more than 60Hz. However, Apple made some change in Big Sur that broke higher refresh rates for a lot of people and it’s been unreliable since.

I don’t see Apple spending any time fixing this. All of their products have moved onto Apple Silicon chips, and that’s where their focus is. They won’t want to fix any Intel-related problems unless they have a significant impact, and high refresh rates are not something that Apple see as a priority (especially given that their own displays are 60Hz only).