Spectrum Accessories | Asking for directions

I do not see option to vote that I want both single and dual monitor arm :smile:

1 Like

For me, I didn’t answer because they left an important option off of the survey that I needed for most of these: “it depends,” but I would have still answered even with the vague: “other.”

Many of those accessories I would want, but which one and also getting one from Eve depends on factors that make the listed product competitive (as in: more useful, compatible, durable, attractive) to other similar offerings on the market—just as is true with the primary eve devices themselves.

I personally need to take a closer look at the accessories’ specs first. Until then, I hate skewing surveys when none of the answers fit my perspective. (For instance when I was considering the question of “hub” vs “dock.” That one REALLY depends. I mean, how many of the features on the dock are not already better served on what it would be plugged into, such as a V (sd reader) or an e-gpu (video/ethernet)? What are the pricing differences between them that would convince someone with duplicate functionality on the “dock” get one anyway rather than just get a basic hub elsewhere?) But if the answers pointed to “hub,” I would definitely pick that because many 3rd party hubs on the market really stink (despite their apparent simplicity). So, a high-quality, well-supported alternative would be welcome. But if the “dock” either differentiated itself from connectivity options already included on a e-gpu or was close enough in price to the “hub,” I’d still get it, even with duplicate connectivity (I understand not everyone would want an e-gpu but may still want central ethernet/video connectivity, etc).

2 Likes

Rather than RGB I would like something like ambilight but then again there are off-the-shelf kits for that.

I don’t want to be that guy but this whole RGB everywhere mania I’m honestly not fond of.

4 Likes

Same! And as far as I understand that’s the target, as Tristan said in a post above:

2 Likes

Presumably, Eve plans for the pre-ordered monitors to be no different than the retail models. This will mean the monitor box never being opened once it’s left the factory fully packaged. The factory will be set up to place the same cable(s) is the same spot every time and not deviate. While not impossible, giving users choice of cable is not a financially viable tactic for Eve to employ. So realistically, Eve has 5 choices:

1. No cable in box at all and put that money toward the monitor itself improving it further
  2. 1 cheap DP and 1 cheap HDMI cable (not necessarily even DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0)
  3. 1 high quality DP 1.4a capable cable
  4. 1 high quality HDMI 2.1 capable cable
  5. 1 high quality DP 1.4a capable cable and 1 high quality HDMI 2.1 capable cable

Option 5 of course (and to a lesser extent options 3 & 4 as well) will eat into the funds being used to build the monitor.
My 2 cents on the matter is that Eve should either:

1. Put the same DisplayPort cable in every box (whatever the proper cable to get full use of the Model 1 Spectrum [probably DP 1.3]). This would help with costs as it would allow them to order a larger batch of the same cables giving them economies of scale.

or

1. Put the necessary cable to reach the full capability of each monitor in the respective box (Spectrum Model 1 - DP 1.3; Spectrum Model 2 - DP 1.4a; Specrum Model 3 - HDMI 2.1). This would guarantee that as long as the owner has the requisite device to drive it, they can take full advantage of whichever monitor they purchased.
2 Likes

Hello

your initial ideas look great. However I personally not really interested in “accessory” category. more interested in progressing of the Donald Dock project or an EGPU for the V. A portable dock/USB-C Hub with USB-A ports and ethernet and and HDMI out would be nice as well.

Fell Free to design and make the other accessories but probably wouldn’t pick them up my self

3 Likes

Personally I think eve should follow industry standard and put displayport in the box from a marketing point of view. Very few users will be able to use the included hdmi 2.1 cable to it’s full potential. The ideal solution is to include both cables so users can upgrade to hdmi 2.1 in the future. But I’ll be happy with no included cables if it meant more features like factory calibration.

4 Likes

What “White” do you want. Cold white, neutral white, warm white? somewhere in between? I have a lot of led strips and tinker with them a lot.
There are also RGBW and RGBWW (and even some RGBWWW) strips available which have dedicated white leds (though I wouldn’t go for cold/warm/neutral). I’m working on an algorithm to make an RGBWW strip work with a sort of ambilight scenario where they mix the whites in as well to make white look good as well. Having some mixed success in that regard.
But for static usage, I can already make you what you want with a single USB connection :slight_smile: (though there is no user interface at this moment).

Keep in mind though that what I’m doing with the RGB strips is due to my personal interest, i’m not coding them for Eve. Not sure if I’m ready for that :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

What “White” do you want. Cold white, neutral white, warm white? somewhere in between? I have a lot of led strips and tinker with them a lot.

I personally love the warmer white - 3000K but then I know that some people prefer colder white 6500K (daylight). You know what would be really cool, if you had a variable white strip that went with the circadian rhythm and changed colour throughout the day.

I tried making an function for mixing white in an RGBW strip… again I had mixed success. With this, maybe if you haven’t done already try gamma correcting the byte values to see if that visually looks smoother when changing LEDs. Again, on the projects I’ve worked on, sometimes it helps, other times it doesn’t.

2 Likes

What I’m looking for with the RGB strips is if the (white) light is strong enough to bounce of a wall and light up my desk like a normal desk lamp. “light up your room” in the first post sounds a bit too powerful. If it can provide enough light that can light up a desk in a dark room, then i’m happy, if i can happily read a textbook or take notes in a notepad then i’m good. It shouldn’t be too cold that it is blinding or too warm that it distorts the colours of the monitor/my surroundings. Your mixed white idea sounds promising. From a one white perspective I personally prefer something that’s more neutral yet tends a bit cooler - around 5000k ± 250 is the sweet spot for me.

2 Likes

6500k, so a cold white, is the standard. It doesn’t mess with the colors, but it does improve the perceived blacks of the monitor.

2 Likes

It certainly messes with the colors.

That said, if you just want a white light I know some amazing white led strip suppliers (bright enough @JayD I used them to create adjustable videolamps). Put that together with a PWM controller and a few resistors to create the correct current (12V isn’t supplied by USB, but since the strip requires 1A/M you can use the 15W USB port for about 1 M which is enough for 2 led strips on the bottom for extra brightness or color adjustment if you use 2 different whites)

5 Likes

Hmm, what I’m personally looking for is perhaps a light that isn’t super high in illuminance - so it isn’t distracting in the dark but still bright enough for a desk and has a ‘pleasing’ temperature.

(Kruithof curve for context)

Interesting passage from wikipedia

“For example, natural daylight has a color temperature of 6500 K and an illuminance of about 104 to 105 lux. This color temperature–illuminance pair results in natural color rendition, but if viewed at a low illuminance, would appear bluish. At typical indoor office illuminance levels of about 400 lux, pleasing color temperatures are lower (between 3000 and 6000 K), and at typical home illuminance levels of about 75 lux, pleasing color temperatures are even lower (between 2400 and 2700 K). These color temperature-illuminance pairs are often achieved with fluorescent and incandescent sources, respectively. The pleasing region of the curve contains color temperatures and illuminance levels comparable to naturally lit environments.”

3 Likes

I honestly don’t understand why people want cables in the box, traditionally included cables are the cheapest and worst quality imaginable. When you consider how inexpensive quality cables are to buy separately it just doesn’t make sense.

What I’m far more interested in is a quad VESA mount of good quality (I have a very nice double one from Uplift so a quad of similar quality would be ideal), and depending on what is included a dock.

The other option I would love but doesn’t seem likely is a glossy screen option with a clear scratch protection coating that doesn’t add any matte finish. I despise matte monitors and it’s depressing that my cheap Korean off-brand monitor has better image clarity and color than my expensive gaming monitor. I would love if smaller companies started pressuring panel manufacturers to offer glossy, it makes no sense we have glossy phones, laptops, tablets and TVs but not monitors…

2 Likes

I personally love the matte finish of my current monitor. Any time there is a light in a room when i am on something besides my matte monitor, i see major glare on the screens… that could just be my experience though and if you don’t live in a bright area or if you have more of a constant light source than me i’m sure it would be different… and people only want cables in the box if they ARE good quality. While most cables that come with monitors and tvs are crap, you have to remember that EVE is not a “normal” company. The hope being that when they say something is going to be quality, that it truly will be quality.

3 Likes

Any light source that shines directly on a screen is going to mess with a glossy screen. For example window light on a tv is probably the most popular example people can relate to. However a monitor hood + glossy finish is quite a slick combo and gives you the best of both worlds (perhaps viewing angles take a hit). Sadly the monitor hood doesnt seem like a popular accessory. Matte finish monitors can look really good depending on the coating and can work in multiple environments.

3 Likes

Monitor hoods can be made quite easily and cheaply yourself with some dark foam paneling. And monitor hoods aren’t great in combo with multi monitor setups.
Also, we’re not going to change the screen finish at this state.

4 Likes

It would be nice to have matte finish just as option, same as accessories… The thing is that there are major downsides to matte finish, and it would be nice to have option of glossy finish.

1 Like

My dual VESA mount dream is nesting monitors—one that slides behind the other.

from Imgflip Meme Generator
1 Like

I think this is a great idea, in theory. Kind of. Why I say that is because even though it would be cool to hide a monitor whenever you’d like (if you have limited desk space) it sort of defeats the whole purpose of having dual monitors. The overall bulk of the monitors would be substantially larger as well, depending how, and where you place the VESA mount. Also, this would require a lot from a software perspective, for the programs on the PC knowing when to shut off the inactive monitor.

So this is a good idea, however, I feel as if it’s too specific to be made possible if possible at all, since time, and money, would be needed to go into the engineering of such a stand.

2 Likes