Sound connection via monitor

Hey guys, I’ve had the Spectrum for a couple weeks now and the visual aspect is amazing.
I’m having a little trouble with connecting to audio, though. Hoping for a bit of advice.

I have a ps5 connected to the monitor via hdmi and usually just use headphones connected to the controller which is good enough. I’ve just bought a soundbar to connect to the monitor now but I can’t get it to work. The soundbar has hdmi arc, Bluetooth, and optical connection but I know Spectrum doesn’t have eARC compatibility. Ive tried a 3.5 - optical cable but that didn’t work.

Any advice for how to properly connect audio directly from monitor?

I suggest a USBDAC or USBDDC. (PS5, not Spectrum, to be connected).
The Spectrum’s 3.5mm audio output doesn’t have very good sound quality, and it also introduces noise when HDR is on.
If your soundbar’s input is optical digital, you will need a USBDDC.
Note that there are only a limited number of USBDACs and USBDDCs that work with the PS5.

If you have Bluetooth support, a Bluetooth transmitter may work as well.
However, latency is unavoidable. Bluetooth speakers and headphones are not recommended for gaming.

If you are willing to sacrifice HDMI 2.1, you can also use an HDMI audio extractor.

I haven’t used this one, but here are some affordable DACs & DDCs that work with the PS5 and are in stock on Amazon right now.

1 Like