Some important considerations (requests) for the Eve Spectrum

The other day I read a reddit post about the current low-quality of many gaming monitors in the market. I think it talks about many important things and concepts, so I highly recommend you to read it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/gyii6k/gaming_monitors_have_substandard_picture_quality/

I was thinking about three aspects of this article in which the Eve Spectrum could do better than the majority of monitors in the market:

• Accept the signal from Windows HD Color and auto-switch between sRGB and P3 based on the current content in use: Right now with monitors you have to manually switch between sRGB and P3 depending on what you want to reproduce. Current TVs offer this auto-switch which allows a color reproduction as the artist intended without manual selection from the user.
  • Factory color calibration: please proper calibrate these monitors from factory! I know this delays the the production of the monitor in the assembly line, but I don’t mind to pay 30-50 euros more to the workers if this assures a good calibration. I think somebody commented this before in Eve Community, but this calibration would be a way to offer unique value over the competition. This is a chance for you to make things right. Of course, if somebody does not want to pay extra for the calibration (because maybe they have a calibration tool/device at home) allow them not to pay for this.
  • Offer a good local dimming experience: I read that you are focusing the HDR experience for global-dimming (in theory this will be the default dimming value of the Eve Spectrum). I know this is not a proper FALD HDR monitor, and that edge-local-dimming has its limitations, but please make sure that the Spectrum offers a good local dimming experience! According to many reviews, the ultra-ultra-wide (32:9) Samsung C49RG9 monitor with HDR1000 offers a really good HDR performance even though the monitor has only 10 edge-lit zones in such a wide format. At least with the models 2 and 3, the Eve Spectrum has 16 zones in a 16:9 format. I think we could get at least a HDR experience as good as the one that this Samsung C49RG9 offers, even though we have HDR600. Why global-dimming has to be the default dimming option for the Spectrum? I don’t get it. In which cases global-dimming is better than local-dimming? I think that maybe in content creation, but for the majority of games and videos local-dimming should be the way to go.
7 Likes

I see a lot of people on here talk about custom configurations of the monitors or the accessories that come with them. When you mass produce a item, these kind of custom configurations rarely make sense.

Eve is not a small boutique that packages each item as each order comes in. They place an order to their partner factory to make them x number of monitors. These are all exactly the same down to the QA, packaging, and accessories and because of this there is economies of scale and they get a cheaper price. The higher x is the lower the price per unit since they can pay a limited number of people to do simple tasks on each item that goes down the line.

However, if you add an extra step to this process that does not apply to all monitors you throw a wrench into the calculation. Now you have to have someone on the line in-between the initial QA testing and the packaging department to pull a certain number of monitors for additional QA and calibrations. After this is done you need someway to mark the boxes for these monitors so you know which are the calibrated ones. Next, you have to decide where these go. The monitors are probably shipped from the factory directly to the regional warehouses for shipment to the end-user and not to Eve themselves. Lets assume these are shipped by the pallet-full with 50 monitors. What if one region only has 3-4 monitors that pay for this service? It is not impossible to do, but all of these adds extra cost and complexity to the process and raises the prices for all models.

One other point you should keep aware of on the Samsung monitor you referenced is that it is using a VA panel that has 3x better contrast ratios then IPS panels (3000:1 vs 1000:1). The reason it well reviewed for HDR content is largely because of this. I personally will not be using the local dimming on my monitors.

5 Likes

Point 1) Sounds like a reasonable request, a nice to have feature.

Point 2) from what I can see on the first post of the q&a threads, this is still being considered, they are just calculating the extra cost it would add to the models. Personally I think they should add it even if it raises the prices of the spectrum model(s). This is because eve needs to do a lot to differentiate from it’s competitors with higher brand value especially it’s sister monitor the LG27gn950, if eve can position itself as “like that monitor but better in every way with only a small increase in (or the same) price (<$100)” then that would be ideal for them. Factory calibration is becoming a more popular selling point too, and is becoming more in demand.

Point 3) I dont mind eve optimising the experience for global dimming. This is a good article that has a summary of advantages/disadvantages of different dimming options https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/edge-lit-vs-back-lit-led-tv.html

I actually think this request is also reasonable, I don’t like throwaway features on anything - where it’s clear they put no effort in. The local dimming should at least be usable and look somewhat decent even if global dimming is the ideal way to view most content. My reasoning is that local dimming still adds contrast to the image, even if it is not much. It should be my decision on what would look better on the screen - a one fits all aproach won’t work when the quality of hdr content varies so much.

4 Likes

I hope eve will change specification of 4K 144hz to 160hz and enable overclock. The thing is that gl950 enables OC up to 160hz, and some people may choose it because they see it as higher end option with higher refresh rate. Although I am not planning to go over 120hz cause of HDMI 2.1 limitation, some people may want to sacrifice 10bit color for higher refresh rate.

3 Likes

Spectrum can have 144hz uncompressed with hdmi 2.1 using coordinated video timings reduced blankings (cvt 1.2, maybe cvt-rb). Also the LG 27gn950 overclocks slightly to 160hz, however most monitors can have a slight overclock. LG just guarantees a safe stable overclock. LG can probably do this because they probably get first choice on which panels they get.

LG’s monitor still has hdmi 2.0 and is still probably using the old scaler - which means that you’ll use dsc or chroma sub sampling to run at the higher refresh rates. The spectrum seems far more capable in comparison, and if i would have a guess, you could probably overclock the spectrum slightly too - it’s not really something eve need to “enable”.

Eve’s strategy of pushing the hdmi 2.1 and marketing to console gamers seems fine to me. I hope eve considers the things in this thread as it is about turning a competitive monitor into a monitor that is “best in class”. Perfection is a lot of small things done right. There are a lot of optimizations like the ones listed in this thread that are reasonable asks for eve to implement before the spectrum ships (factory calibration is the biggest ask but eve is already weighing this up), these optimizations will be better marketing than LG’s 160hz overclock that nobody will use.

3 Likes

The thing is that marketing does not care about what product is better overall, but about specific things. Many people are unfamiliar with things like versions of HDMI, However they usually are familiar with word FPS/hz , and when they see this number bigger, they think it is higher end monitor although it is not true.

1 Like

I think this is a very important point that many may not realize. Since LG makes the panel it makes sense they keep all of the panels which exceed 144 Hz in QA and allows them to sell them at 165 Hz while selling the panels that do less then 165 Hz to other vendors. It is not that they are bad panels, they just are not as amazing.

1 Like