Simultaneous Key Press Issues?

I’ve heard that the Eve V keyboard doesn’t support simultaneous key press of more than two keys at a time (e.g. Ctrl + Shift + V). If true, is there a workaround for this issue? It could potentially be a deal-breaker for me, because I rely a lot on MS Office keyboard shortcuts which often involve three keys simultaneously. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and feedback! :slight_smile:

I haven’t had a problem with that short cut or Ctr + Alt + Win + Key with the keyboard attached

There is a bug with three-key combinations that include the left-shift. See this thread for details:

Hopefully this is something they can fix with a keyboard firmware update.

Thanks! Would you mind cross checking the post from Phil and confirming whether or not you’re facing the same issue?

Works fine for me. LCtrl + LShift + V pressed in that order and LShift + LCtrl + V works as well. (Paste without formatting in Google Docs)

There’s a quirk in way the keyboard is designed that makes the left shift and right shift function differently.

Beyond this stupidity oddity, there isn’t any key combo I’ve tried that doesn’t work.

If your shift combo doesn’t work, try the other shift key.

The Left Shift is on the left side of the keyboard, the Right Shift is on the right side of the keyboard. Well, obviously, you’ll say. But it does mean that their switches are tied to the electronics by completely unrelated wiring. So key presses that share (some of) the wiring of Left Shift and can thus influence the keyboard controller’s ability to properly register the key presses (generally keys in the vicinity of Left Shift), while keys on the other end of the keyboard (such as Right Shift) use unrelated wiring and as such their signals will arrive at the controller loud and clear.

Keyboard electronics are generally designed in such a way that the wiring of keys that are commonly pressed at the same time run along different paths to make sure every key press is identified. Even so, every (normal) keyboard has key combinations that it will not be able to track, sometimes even so specific that a combination may be recognized when pressed in a particular order, but not in another.

Background info bit about key rollover:

Gaming keyboards (where it isn’t at all uncommon that many keys are pressed at the same time, when you are for instance reloading-and-jumping-forward-and-sideways-whilst-running) are often promoted as having ‘N-key roll-over’ (NKRO), meaning they are guaranteed to recognize ‘N’ keypresses simultaneously.
A keyboard that sports ‘6-key rollover’ (6KRO) will recognize six simultaneous keypresses before it stops being able to properly register them, though even then the focus of the electronics is often on separating the circuitry that handles the area around the WASD keys, as those are most likely to be pressed simultaneously.

I have not yet heard of 2-key combinations that do not work on the V keyboard, but some of the more 3- or more-key exotic combinations may not be register. (To anyone suffering from this limitation: I am in no way suggesting that your keyboard shortcuts are less important than others’!)

This is a hardware limitation from the way the keyboard module is wired, and as such we cannot (and therefore will not) fix this with a firmware update. Since a hardware change at this level would require substantial changes including (but not limited to) a change of keyboard module supplier, an electronic redesign of the keyboard unit around the new module, and a change in manufacturer for the keyboard module, it is not something we can pursue at this time. That said, we will definitely take these experiences into account when shopping for keyboard modules for future products.

Partially unrelated background info on scancodes:

Each key on the keyboard sends a ‘scancode’ to the computer, this is the code by which the computer knows which key has been depressed or released. Left Shift and Right Shift have different scancodes. Even though they have the same effect in most applications, some software distinguishes between the two and allows them to have separate functions.

Thanks! It would be great if the team could provide more insight into which specific combinations will and will not register, so that customers can figure out workarounds for those scenarios.

Good answer - I almost believe you didn’t accidentally submit a design for a typewriter. Can we roll this thread into here, and use it to collate a list of properly non-functional key combos?

P.S. I notice you left out the […] seems to happen when you don’t exactly specify something in […] part. Blink once if you’re being held hostage, twice if you’re typing this at gunchopstick-point.

Yeah, I agree, it would be great to collate such a list.