Share your home server setup!

Im interested to see how you have your home server setup. For example, if you have a dedicated server with Plex, Emby, Kodi/XBMC, or Ampache. Or your router could handle it all? Or do you have a dedicated NAS with all the fancy features? Or do you simply run your main PC/laptop 24/7 as a server? What hardware do you use in that PC?

Here’s my setup:

As I prefer to share the files manually, I just share the big 2 TB HDD via SMB in Windows (right click, Sharing tab, Advanced Sharing, Permission set to Everyone), and add it as a network drive on my phone and tablet. So its more like a NAS at this point.

In addition to that, I run a Plex server locally, though I rarely use it from my phone/tablet. Most of the time, I just use my phone as a Plex Remote to play files on Plex Media Player on the HTPC attached to the TV. And as you may have guessed, its the same PC as the server, which also serves as my main PC. Its got a Core i7-6700K when I need for Plex transcode, though as I mentioned earlier, I barely used it.

I’ve finally pretty decent setup right now for my personal taste:

I’ve got a dedicated machine running as ‘NAS’-Server at this point - basically consisting of my undervolted ol’ Haswell that got retired when I upgraded to Ryzen. On that machine I have my SMB setup and it serves pretty much my local network.

For all needs outside of home (or development) I’m using a vServer with Ampache, Gitlab and many other fancy things running so I can e.g. listen to music whereever I am :slight_smile:

I’d say I’m slowly crawling to a decent setup :joy:

I have a small Gigabyte Brix with Ubuntu Mate, containing a 1Tb drive for files, which is shared with the network via Samba. Sometimes I plug two extra USB disks to it, one for backups and a smaller one for “archived” or expendable multimedia stuff. It’s also running as a torrent server with Transmission and I have Megasync, Dropbox and Insync (Google Drive client) permanently running on it, so I have my files synced regardless the OS I’m using in my main laptop. I also use it to play films in a 1080p monitor and play music.

I often control it from my mobile phone via Kdeconnect. Also, right now it’s attached to the monitor and controlled with an extra keyboard and mouse. My ideal setup would be to unplug those peripherals and access it from my main laptop (or in the future, the V) via VNC or similar… but I still haven’t managed to get it working.

I plan to configure it to run a Nextcloud instance, a small website and things like that. But I’m still getting into DDNS and all those self-hosting concepts.

The great thing of this solution is that the small server can do a lot of things while still consuming less than 5W.

I don’t really need a “server” at my home. If I want to watch something on the TV, I just write that into an external HDD and connect it to the TV. I can’t think of any other practical uses for a server than streaming… But now I’m thinking about using a Raspberry Pi Zero as a Kodi player and streaming directly from my PC. I just can’t get around to configure it, I guess it’s not that important…

I am rocking a home-built Linux Debian server. It is running an i3-4150 on some decent motherboard. I have got 4 1TB drives in RAID 5 and one 6TB backup drive + 500 GB OS drive.
I use this server for smb, private cloud, game-server hosting, ts3-hosting.

VPS + gdrive + Plex.
That’s my stream anything anywhere machine. VPS isn’t that powerful, can only transcode maybe 1 stream, but I direct play everything anyways. My VPS is only $1 a month, so it’s a very cheap way to get your streaming done.

Synology NAS 4 drives - data, photography, multimedia. Plex server for most things and Infuse on Apple TV.

I run a Plex Server from a 4TB external HDD (so I can take it with me on trips) on my home PC, and I’m thinking of building a little Linux box and running it from there so it’s not relying on the PC. Plex is fantastic!

I built a media server out of spare parts from friends and families computers I had upgraded and they didn’t want anymore, 4770k processor, 16gb ram, a define s case rm550x psu and 26tb worth of hard drives 24tb full atm, about 35,000 tv episodes 3000 movies and 25,000 anime episodes, most of which I encoded myself from blurays. Obviously it is completely overkill for the 2 or 3 devices it actively streams to, but it also acts as a gaming pc for guests that come over.

I have plex software installed on the media server that streams to my Nvidia shield, gaming pc, smart tv in bedroom and my girlfriend’s iPad (I have it set up on her laptop and phone as well but she mostly watches things while jogging) I also have it set up to stream to my brothers house.

I have a Turris Omnia Router with NAS…

I’ve got a custom-built server system running an Athlon 64 LE in a cute little Chenbro case with four hot-swappable drive sleds full of WD Reds. Noctua, Nexus and Scythe take care of keeping it all cool and quiet, and Windows Home Server (1st gen) gets done what needs doing.

It’s been serving my needs for a decade now, so it’s all outdated hardware and software. I’m likely to replace it outright with a simple Synology NAS once I have a bit of coin to spare…

Raspberry Pi 2 with 1TB HDD, running Arch Linux ARM.
I use it only for my Nextcloud install served by a nginx webserver. This way I have my own cloud, containing files, contatcs, calendars etc and can sync it to all my devices.

After many home servers built of old and discarded PC hardware, I now use a Synology NAS with 6 drives, each 3TB. I let 'em run as a RAID 6 array with BtrFS.
With a Digital Devices SAT-IP converter and DVB-logic’s DVBLink (installed on the NAS) I input the TV signal into my network… and yes, there are still people watching TV :wink:
All backups run to the server, while the NAS replicates itself (with a backup-software from Synology) once a week to a smaller NAS running in my brother’s house which is right beside my home. We are connected via fiber cable - so surge in one house shouldn’t bother the other ones NAS.
Access to my private cloud and a media server with lots of music (all accessible via VPN) comes on top.

I’ve got an Windows server and Ubuntu server running on my old desktop right now. Windows Server 2016 Standard as a DHCP and DNS server, and acting as a Domain Controller. On Ubuntu I’ve got pihole running right now. I’ve also got an Apache server, and am working on adding some other stuff whenever I have free time. I’ve got a Plex server running on my primary Desktop since that has the most storage right now, but I’ll move that to my main server once I add another hard drive.

@pauliunas There are a lot of good uses of a server in the right situation, and if you get a raspberry pi I definitely recommend running pihole. I’ve got enough computers of my own that having them all on a Windows domain is very convenient.

Also, I live in the US, and am sadly stuck with Comcast internet. Ever since I’ve started running my own DNS server and stopped all forwards to Comcast’s DNS addresses, my internet speed has increased dramatically, and I am actually getting the speeds I am paying for.

Currently i have a quotom mini pc with pfsense as a router and a wrt1900acs as wireless ap and a file server. There is a chromebox with libreelec that can play the media using smb.

Synology NAS DS411+II 4 drives. Cloud Drive, data, photography, multimedia, music, Plex server.
And next year I replace it with a DS918+ with 4 new records and this one will become my rescue

Just discovered Pi-Hole. Mind blown. I have to try it.

But then again, what exactly are those uses? xD

Pihole is an ad blocker, right? But I already have that on all my devices, so I’ll use my Raspberry Pis for something more fun :slight_smile:

Why not just use Google DNS? 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 I think…

Well, I use mine for video transcoding and post production. I just drag a video file onto an executable, and away it goes. Once the video(s) is/are done processing, they’re ready to be uploaded to YouTube. Another use that I have for one of my servers is hosting private git repos.

I still can’t control/restrict the IPs my devices visit. Also our modem tries to force traffic to Comcast’s DNS (it’s a ‘Comcast approved’ modem). Using the pihole as a DNS then forwarding to Google works fine, but I run DNS on Windows for the sake of my Domain.

All kinds of stuff, domain controllers (really easy to manage lots of windows computers if you have them), plex/media servers, file servers, license servers if you use software that requires such, vpn servers, web hosting/apache servers, computational servers, etc. If you have a spare computer lying around (even an old laptop that can only run linux), it can be fun to mess around with.

Plus, you can run an automatic backup service on it, and backup all of your devices to one place. It’s not necessary to have a home server, but they can have their uses to the right people.