Share your concepts of 2-in-1s here -- incl. Three designs for the new V!

Hello community,

For the full intro & my initial Back Layout design for the new V, please click (tap) here, hiding contents helps people quickly get the core idea.

Have you ever wondered ‘how an eye-catching 2-in-1 device could look like’ or ‘how the components could be arranged within a 2-in-1 to make it fit your needs’? When I hold devices in my hands, a vision about a fantastic 2-in-1 device appears in my mind. I believe it could be the perfect device for myself, though no average manufacturers customise their next-gen device accordingly to be just right for me.

With the currently ongoing crowd-development of the new V, we see a great chance to put our thoughts about the perfect 2-in-1s into an actual shape. However, the new V has to be constructed based on the demands of most community members and foreseeable technologies. Creativity has no limits, and the same applies to our beloved design ideas of 2-in-1s. I create this concept topic aim to provide a new place for our community to show off and discuss design ideas about 2-in-1s (certainly include the new V) without disrupting the main development threads.

I want to introduce my design concept of an upgradability-focused back layout of the new V.

Top features: Support for up to 8TB of upgradable storage through two 2280 M.2 slots, upgradable RAM up to 32GB (16GB changeable + 16GB soldered) ~12mm bezel size. Moreover, this design keeps the best cooling mechanisms of the WORKHOUSE.

Weakness: A trimmed battery size compare with its predecessor.

(Please click the picture and view the full size to solve the blurry issue.)

• Battery size solution: (Sacrifice upgradability) Use purely soldered RAM, and opt for an onboard WiFi & Bluetooth chip.
To view detailed specs, please check it here.

Ports & Exterior:

3 USB-C Ports (separated, include one TB3 / USB4, one USB 3.2 & one charging only Type-C),

2 USB-A Ports (combined),

3.5mm Headphone Jack,

Full-sized SD Card Reader,

Dual-speakers,

Power button & Integrated Fingerprint reader,

Front & Back camera (with IR),

Kickstand Hinge.

Interior:

Dual 2280 M.2 Slots support up to 4TB / 8TB,

Up to 32GB (16GB upgradable) SODIMM,

Upgradable WiFi 6 & Bluetooth 5.0,

Battery,

Power-efficient CPU,

Heat Pipe,

Heat Spreader,

Motherboard Heatsink & Coating.

Special Thanks: @Arrosin I cannot make this design better fledged without your help, much appreciated.

Please press the :heart: button if you like my design, and let me know what you think!

Light-speed travel to posts:

If you have any ideas about 2-in-1s (display unit, keyboard compartment, eGPU, accessories), feel free to transform your brilliant ideas into a graph/render and post them here to share and discuss with us. I am delighted to share my thoughts and provide feedback on your concepts. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Come and join the discussion!
13 Likes

Hey, great concept! Due to my dissertation being due in the next couple of weeks, I won’t be able to come up with a concept myself, but will be keeping a close eye on the cool stuff you guys come up with here! :smiley:
Just had a quick question regarding your concept, I don’t really know much about hinge design, but was just wondering whether the size of the hinge you have included will be enough to support a device as large as the V? I have been looking at recent teardowns from iFixit and Zack on the Galaxy Z Flip and the hinge they have used for such a small device itself looks so bulky, so got me wondering whether a more robust hinge would be better for the V to ensure longevity?
Cheers!

2 Likes

Thank you, @Yashlg97! :grin:

The new V’s hinge is similar to that of the Surface Pro, and the latest 3D renders have proved it. Unlike the Galaxy Z Flip, the kickstand of the new V does not need to support the entire body of the device to rotate 180 degrees. Instead, it holds the display unit at the desired angle when the 2-in-1 settles on a flat surface. Therefore it does not require having a bulky strap that can take on half of the device weight on its own. I only left 15mm, 10mm (or 25mm, 10mm if count the blank space) hinge area which otherwise occupies the precious edge region available for motherboard & battery. I hope the new V can minimise the hinge design.

By the way, the Surface Pro kickstand also has two adhesive tabs in the middle; it is unclear whether the new V has it adopted as well. I have drawn two 30mm, 6mm ‘occupied’ regions in the middle to illustrate these tabs.

2 Likes

I think this layout would work just fine.

1 Like

Ah, I see! You’ve definitely done a lot of background reading on this! :grin: Thanks a lot for the explanation mate :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks to the new V’s 3D renders @Dario I can improve my back layout design with more accurate data. Hope to see more 3D models in step format alone the development process; they help a lot.

Version 6.0 (the release version is 5.5) Check version 1.0 for fun: Another Eve V deep dive: cameras / wireless / memory. You can still find its shape from its first generation.

(Please click the picture and view in full size to solve the blurry issue.)

Top Highlights:

1. Improve details and accuracy according to the recently-released 3D models.

2. Correct the shape of the SD Card Reader. In version 5.5, it has reversed width and height.

3. Rearrange ports.

4. Expand the serviceable area.

I sincerely appreciate your :heart: and feedback!

4 Likes

Do you think it is better to make my future design updates as detailed as the USB-C & SD Card Reader or keep it simple like the USB-A? Please let me know.

2 Likes

I think as long as general dimensions are included in every part, not including very fine details should just save you a lot of time with every design

3 Likes

Thanks for your thought. I feel this concept has reached its bottleneck, without critical comments, it is difficult for me to come up with something better except for refining details and a port rearrangement. I wish someone kindly point out its shortage and suggest possible improvements.

3 Likes

That’s fair enough mate, I am no expert in circuit layouts and design as such, so for a layman like me, it already looks pretty efficient. And I totally do get what you mean too, hopefully this thread gets some traction and more people can leave some constructive feedback.

2 Likes

Can we add an LTE Modem next to the Bluetooth/Wifi card. Also maybe change the CPU, to CPU and GPU combo since the heat sync is there for heating.

Another option instead of screws is to have strong magnets holding the back cover on and will make it aesthetically look better and since the kickstand is close, the back plate should not fall out.

What do you all think?

3 Likes

I like your idea, although there are a few challenges to note:

1. LTE: A typical LTE card has a 3042 form factor, which is 8mm wider than a WiFi & Bluetooth card.

2. CPU + GPU: The heat pipe must be straight when it comes across a CPU / GPU. All other components need to make way for the turning of a heat pipe.

I also agree that using strong magnets to hold the backplate could be an excellent idea.

I have made a rough sketch, and I believe you get the idea of sacrificing a serviceable component.

1 Like

Why not make a handle on the tablet and put cheap but durable 18650 batteries into it? I got innovated by Lenovo yoga tablet but found the battery life is too short for a PC tablet if use 18650 only (since it is not wide enough). So I put another Li-on battery inside the machine. The total size of the batteries is about 40Wh.

This design puts an enormous 80mm fan (or dual 40mm fan with more other components) and dual heat pipe radiator in the case. It allows this device to run with incredible speed & low noise. A bigger fan can hold the temperature with lower rpm, which means less noise. Furthermore, this design implements dual 3cm speakers (a larger sound cavity with the added size of the bezel) which is close to the size of a mini Bluetooth speaker! Also, a PCIe Type-C port is available for further extension (external SSD, express card type eGPU).

Its weight is a shortcoming, but the distribution of batteries could reduce the torque, which makes it easy to hold. This design also accommodates a different stand (it does not crash if you put it down to 0°).

(Scale of the graph is the size of the screen without border plus half-height of handle)

Target hinge type:

Thanks @Lore_Wonder for helping me edit this. Without him, I couldn’t finish it so early. Cheers.

3 Likes

Hi, nice design

However wouldn’t be better to Have the battery below and components above the battery? since heat goes up and it will be better for weight distribution

1 Like

Thanks, @Hunter!

I agree with you about the benefits of having the battery on the bottom of the device, and there is no problem flipping the major part of my design upside down. The only issue being all ports are limited on the top half (alternatively occupying the battery area below to place ports) if the motherboard is above the battery. The top port placement has the disadvantages of increased risk of pulling the screen off the keyboard when unplugged and generally shorter longevity.

3 Likes

Introducing my Front & Keyboard design for the new V! v1.0

(Please click the picture and view in full size to solve the blurry issue.)

Release Highlights:

• Dual Microphones on top;

• Dedicated Windows Hello Facial Recognition;

• 8mm iPad Pro-style Bezel;

• Zero force keyboard connector guarantees easy adjustment of viewing angles;

• Large Trackpad;

• Wireless charging capability when the keyboard is open;

• Store & charge the V pen on the keyboard without sacrificing thickness / uneven surface.

I sincerely appreciate if you hit the :heart: button & let me know what you think!

5 Likes

sure, just check out my design. btw, the official design could make the case into a more powerful heatsink and easier to cooling down while not become ugly.

1 Like

What sort of screen resolution and screen size?
I think we should also also at designing a PSU with built in fast charging usb ports and battery bank.
Should be spec to charge competitors laptop. Say 160W power to charge mobile as well eve 2 IN 1.tablet

1 Like

160W power supply is way too much for a tablet… Like 2 times too much.
In order to have a small power supply, I will suggest USB-C charging with a normal quick charging at around 65W is reasonable. If we want a dream power supply I would say 100W which is the maximum of the USB-C cable!
Even the 65W power supply it could charge it most probably in an hour or two, if you are using it will charging.

2 Likes

I put the 160Watts that it can be used for other laptops and
charging ipad etc in parallel. The idea is to make the PSU
powerful enough to charge a laptop, ipad and fast charge a mobile
phone in parallel. You have two products to sell.

Secondly please have a 4K screen.

james

1 Like