SDXC Card to USB Typ C Converter

Hey there,

I am using my Canon Eos 60D often. anywhere! anytime!

I want to use my future eve V for editing and posting my pictures to my homepage or just saving them on my local storage. therefor, I will need a sdxc converter. my actual converter is officially usb 3.0 but transfer speed is under USB 2.0.

anyone a idea which converter offers a high speed (More the 20mb/s writing would be cool) and a connection for USB type C? I would prefer Amazon Prime shipping but, well. I spent 1117$ dollar for my V. Don’t talk about some dollars about a small converter to connect my camera :smiley:

It’s a little bit annoying that the V only supports a micro sdxc card slot.

thank you. hopefully I will not buy bad stuff again (like my actual converter)

Great regards

Oernifly

For one thing, you could buy a Standard USB 3.0 SD Card Adapter, there are plenty of good ones on the market.
When it comes to USB Type C the selection is rather limited. There are some docks that feature an SD-Slot as well as other ports, but simple adapters with good speeds are hard to find.
Maybe take a look at this one that is sold at the Apple Store: Here
It supports up to 312Mbits with supported Cards.

Then there is also one from Satechi, but don’t know about how long that one will last and how good and fast it is going to be. Here

This one Here supports up to a 104 Mbits per second.

I would probably go the SanDisk route if you want something fast and long lasting.
But again there are many good USB 3.0 Type A SD-Card Readers out there that work with the V.
Having used Satechi USB-C Adapters I can say that their QC is pretty hit and miss and while the stuff that Apple sells in the Apple Store normally is a bit overpriced, it also promises quality.

I know that the one I got with my newest Lexar SDXC card works well above 100mb/s on USB 3 ports, so I’m assuming either that with a thunderbolt adapter or a newer version with USB C will work perfectly. For reference, I am using that to transfer my Sony A7RII 80mb RAW files pretty speedily to an External SSD via Lightroom

MB/s or Mb/s? I don’t think any SD card supports 100MB/s yet…

Definitely 100MB/s. Fastest card (SD form factor obviously, CF Fast goes up to 500MB/s now) is a Sony SDXC with speed up to 299MB/s

Why don’t use micro SD card so you can fit it in the V and just an adapter micro SD to SD for your EOS 60D?

I own an older Anker branded device I bought off Amazon, which I feel was good quality for the price. I’m not seeing any USB-C types made by them though.

I have to buy a new micro SD card with adapter and the micro SD cards with enough capacity and speed are more expansive than a adapter.

and: maybe compatibility problems and speed problems

Generally slower, so for bigger files like raw photos, it gets annoying quickly

Samsung pro is 90 mbits/s arround 50$ for 64Gb on Amazon.com and you don’t need to take any other stuff with. And an adapter micro SD to SD is already in the package…

I raised my speed to 95mbit/s with my Lexa sdxc card 2 months ago for 50$.

i am feeling strange to to pay the same price for a slower card and getting a unusable sdxc card.

and @benej98 told micro sdxc are generelly slow. could be this a real alternative.

Could be an good alternative if you buy a good one samsung pro (not evo) are very good and fast 90mb/s is not a joke… So it’s up to you.
And you can keep your SD as backup for some situations where you shoot a lot… :yum:

Simple ideas are always good and often cheap.
As Giome said …
I use the same option as interface between my panasonic camera and the surface 3 pro.
Works ok, cost nothing more than the card.

I think you mean MB. 95mbit is pretty slow.

Here’s an example of some of the faster cards:

this is 260MB/sec, unless I misread…

Does EVE V support UHS-II hardware? I don’t think so.

Edited to (hopefully) clarity per Pauliunas’ suggestion:

The UHS-I (which is what the V probably uses and is the same as what the surface pro 3 and 4 use), allows for maximum transfer speeds of ~100MBps. This is equal to ~800Mpbs (each MBps is 10Mpbs). One is a megabyte, while the other is a megabit. It takes only takes 8 Mbs to equal one MBs (but there are other things - beyond the scope of this post that reduce this in real life).

Cards under the original SD speed classes had a 2, 4, 6 or 8 or 10 class rating - equating to a minimum sustained rate write speed in MBps. Therefore an SD card with a class rating of 2 would have a guaranteed minimum write speed of 2Mps (or ~16-18mps).

Class ratings continue to be used, but many manufacturers more often like to cite their maximum sequential read speed, which are much higher.

Regarding class ratings - I haven’t seen any manufacturers rate their cards in mbps (only Mbps) and In my experience, it is less and less common to see class ratings.

Finally UHS (ultra high speed) is “above class 10” and gives manufacturers anything beyond the 10Mbps write speed. The SD committee was coming up with another set of ratings, but I don’t believe it’s been finalized.

For my Sandisk ultra card, I routinely get 20-30MBps (160-240Mbps) sustained (in real life) write speed when moving things to my microSD card.

What is “mbs” and “Mps”?
100MB/s = 10 “Mps”? So 1 “Mps” is 10 MB/s? 1M=10MB?
No, seriously, let’s face it, this reply was a mess :smiley:
You better change it to make it clear.

100 Mbps is exactly 12.5 MB/s, but with protocol overhead we have around 10-11 MB/s.

UHS-I bandwidth limit seems to be 104MB/s, but the standard only implies 10MB/s sustained write speed, while any additional speed is “optional” to the manufacturer so it depends on the card you use.

Anyway, this is the Card that I use, the Lexar 64GB USH-II. And I can say for sure that speed wise you really should have nothing to worry about there, also not with the USB card reader. As I said earlier, it works perfectly well in a semi-professional day of shooting, with somewhere around 800 (60-80MB each) photos to transfer, which it does in about 15 minutes to an external HDD, so that’s all fine. Would of course be even quicker on a thunderbolt 3 adapter to an SSD.

It wouldn’t really be faster with Thunderbolt. USB 3.1 has 10Gbps of bandwidth and that’s more than you need. If you transfer 800x80MB in 15 minutes, that’s around 600Mbps so you could increase the transfer speed 16 times without Thunderbolt. But that’s impossible because UHS-II theoretically supports only up to 2.5Gbps. That’s only half of USB 3.0 bandwidth.

I joined in after the V design was largely finalised. I too lament that there is no SD card slot. The V would then have been the perfect field unit for a photographer as most cameras still use SD cards. Micro SD cards while useful there is the issue of speed and reliability with sd-micro - sd card holders.
Oh well, I’m still really looking forward to my V arriving. I’ll start looking around for suitable SD card adapters as well.