Screen resolutions and aspect ratios

Dear @Team,
I’ve had the pleasure of playing around with my V for a couple of days, so here’s a request coming from someone interested in gaming, movies and TV.

I think it would be great if the firmware/drivers for the V were updated regarding available screen resolutions and frame rates.

Screen resolution is important if you want to game with reasonable FPS. As we know the actual display resolution is 2880x1920 so an aspect ratio of 3:2, but there are no alternative resolutions available by default with that same aspect ratio. So if for example you select 1440x900 (16:10), you either get screen stretched or you get black borders - can vary depending on application, e.g. desktop->black borders, diablo3->stretched.

Obviously there’s an easy fix for this, we can all manually add custom resolution with the correct aspect ratio via the Intel Graphics Settings (you need to reboot before they become available). But, you have to click “Yes” to a warning and some people may consider it a hassle. Others may not realize anything more than things looking wrong somehow when they use some of the predefined alternative resolutions.

Here are some custom resolutions I’ve added with the correct aspect ratio:
1920x1280
1440x960
1152x768
960x640
840x560 ()
720x480 (
)

(*) may not always be listed in games, but can still be used sometimes (e.g. Skyrim if you manually edit prefs file).

The other thing is display frame rates, for sake of movies and TV (e.g. using Kodi which can auto-switch display frame rate). Regarding movies, I think I’d prefer 24Hz (or 23.976 to be specific) rather than the 48Hz mode. I haven’t tested it fully (so could be other things), but I think I saw non-typical judder/stutter when using 48Hz (i.e. compared to a true cinema 23.976Hz TV). And regarding TV, living in Europe we have 50Hz programming on TVs and online play services follow this frame rate as well, so that will always stutter with the available 48Hz or 60Hz. Unfortunately, 24Hz and 50Hz cannot be set when adding custom resolutions and frame rates. I’d think that both the display and Intel HD graphics would be capable of such frame rates … and I’d prefer not to have to start hacking some EDIDs to try and make it possible.

Anyway, have a look and see what you can do.

BTW, Dark Souls II plays rather nicely at 1152x768 … get 40+ FPS most of the time at least starting out in the beginning.

Fantastic!

As far as I know, all custom resolution (in Intel driver) is stored in the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

each resolution would be stored inside keys (folders) like 0000, 0001, etc.

If you could share that key with us, that would be great! Thank you

@iKirin should we move it to features category?

Once we open it up for sure!
Maybe not move it there but at least copy it & link to this great suggestion!

Love this community, learn new sh!t everyday. @kopanga @Patrick_Hermawan thank you.

Sorry for taking long. I did have a look yesterday and found the key you mentioned. There was a lot of things there but nothing I could pinpoint to the custom resolutions I added.