Screen brightness integers

I’d asked before but think it must have got lost.

Do we know what the cd of the eve v brightness increase stops are?

For instance on my Mac 6 steps up from black is about 103cd and seven stops is 130cd and I ideally need 120cd

Is there a brightness slider as well as key tap brightness adjustments?

This should all be fairly easy to check with the calibration devices

If you were immensely awesome, configurable key taps to differ cd would be epic. So if can set 4 taps up at 120cd and then configure 5 taps up to 160cd then wow, mind would be blown :slight_smile:

Be careful my friend, if one blows his cerebral cortex it is often irreversible :exploding_head: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::hugs:

I’m Noob in this regard, so don’t take my opinion too serious, but brightness levels and steps to adjust them should be controlled by host OS, or am I wrong? In this case Eve won’t change much about it.

I’m not sure, didn’t know if it was a bios/firmware solution.

I just know they’re usually set so it makes it hard to adjust to a certain cd rating :frowning:

Hi @Cluskey_Smith!

Previously we had brightness levels set to 80, 180, 300, 450 nits.
They should be around the same right now with new screen.
We will remeasure them when in China.

As for adjustable brightness steps below 80 nits that would be cool! But right now there are at least firmware limitations for that. This would be a great feature we could investigate in more details after we have shipped first batches as it would require multiple vendors to sit down together and figure out a solution.

Hey, thanks for the feedback, do you know if one of your steps is 120nits/cdm2 as they’re the same thing (mostly)

80 and 180 would be so far away from 120 I’d probably have to return my unit if that’s the only brightness options nearest 120 if that makes any sense? Haha

This is my main concern that I’ll be stuck with a screen I can only calibrate to either higher or lower than 120 so it won’t be representing what will be printed :slight_smile:

If the key brightness stepping isn’t close do you know if there’s a brightness slider in the os?

There is, both in Linux and Windows10, AFAIK. And it will definitely give you finer steps than the default 25% ones. It looks like brightness steps can be changed on the software side (to as low as 1% steps, I read somewhere). See here and here as an example.

So if the default slider is still not fine enough for you, you may find another software-based solution just searching around a bit. The challenge will be to actually know which brightness setting corresponds to the 120cd you want. But even that seems relatively easy to figure out, so I wouldn’t worry so much.

BTW, it’s the first time I hear about that 120cd thing. Interesting! Can you recommend any serious read on that topic?

Sometimes you can have a brightness slider in the Windows settings, whether or not this will be available on the V I am not sure, but that would be something for Microsoft/Intel to work out.

I’m sure you can find a 3rd party application to do the same thing, but if you want to set it yourself you can choose the exact percent within Windows power settings. As far as measuring the value of brightness in nits/cdm2, I wouldn’t know how to do that.

I was curious about that, and there are some applications, like ClickMonitorDDC, that allow the use of custom shortcuts and a lot of other options to control screen settings. Quoting the website:

Change values by sliders or buttons, or use command lines, batch files, create context menu popup entries, append arguments in icon properties shortcut target, assign hot keys or mousewheel-combinations

So I would be surprised if you didn’t manage to find a suitable solution. I don’t know if brightness buttons on the keyboard can be remapped to different settings or used as shortcuts, but it may be the case. That would be great.

Here are some more apps that may be worth a look.

Oh yes! You can totally use sliders those will do the job.

Oh good :slight_smile:

Regarding the cd level, it’s something I calibrate on all my screens with an i1 display pro, it’ll tell me the cd level for each brightness stop

If it’s of any use I’m happy to measure the standard stops on the screen and report back if people want when I get my unit but unfortunately I didn’t get a prototype (damn my lack of fame) :wink: and I’m going 1tb so it’ll be a while yet :stuck_out_tongue:

The brightness people choose is usually based on their print medium, for instance the paper we have our albums printed on works out to look the same at around 100cd for lustre photographic or 80cd if we’re using fine art paper

Essentially a screen with a backlight at 100cd shows about as much light as the lustre paper will reflect so the images look similar

If I edit a photo with the brightness at 40cd then print it then it’ll look too bright on the paper

Again if I edit at 160 then print it’ll then look too dull :slight_smile:

This is all hoping you’ve got midday daylight of course but it’s a useful guide point which is why it’s cool our screens are srgb at 6500k

Hope that helps understanding for some. Happy to answer any other questions if I can

that would be great!

I suspect there may be some differences per screen as each screen is unique. still, more info is always good!

And I guess those paper brightness levels depend on how your work environment is illuminated, right? So you measure the brightness of different papers and then match the brightness of the screen to it?

Yeah it’s all just approximations to get as close as you can so you’re not wildly off the mark and there’s a certain amount of importance to contrast ratio/ambient light as well

Our prints are outsourced but in the past we’ve created colour profiles with the full kit spectrometer for each paper type so the display is even more accurate in soft proofing

Colour management is a massive headache but worth doing upto a point and if you really want your head confusing Google colour/color metamerism :slight_smile:

For most people just having the srgb is a great start at getting decent prints

Look how one can be metamerismized

Yup, you can remap pretty much anything with AutoHotkey :slight_smile: or any similar software

That looks like usefull news to Cluskey_Smith.

By the way, Windows 10 removed the charms bar brightness slider and replaced it with 25% increments, but I think the keyboard buttons actually use 10% increments. That might be useful too.

At least on my prototype they do.