Hi everyone, like many of you who decided to wait, I’m quite frustrated that after this long extended delay we allowed EVE, we still have not received a single useful word about our product even after the deadline they set. So I thought it necessary to seriously consider my other options, starting with the refund. EVE has promised to allow a refund option for those who have not received a shipment notice before the deadline; however, considering their history of broken promises and ineptitude to deliver, I don’t think this option would be very reliable.
I’m curious to know about others’ experiences with a credit card chargeback, and how well that worked for you. I bought direct through my credit card company, on January 22. My bank’s policy for disputing transactions specify that the dispute must be raised within 30 days of the funds leaving my account; however, I have read from others that partial refunds may still be possible with a chargeback if I explain my situation adequately. Could someone shed some more light on this, and possible actions that myself and others can take?