Quick Q: Speaker Performace

Just looking at the reviews, it looks like the speaker performance is mediocre at best. It isn’t a deal-breaker, but many of us were looking forward to top-notch audio from the V’s speakers.

NotebookCheck: “62% of all tested devices in this class were better” “loudness is average” "nearly no bass…bass is not linear"
PocketNow: “They’re not as loud as the speakers on the Surface Pro 4, but they’re certainly sufficient.”< this is disappointing, especially after statements from Team.
DigitalTrends: “They provided plenty of volume and minimal distortion at full volume, but they also lacked punch in the low end, with only passable midrange and highs.”

Any comment from @Team? Can we expect improvement in firmware, is this a media bug, or just the expected outcome? It honestly doesn’t make sense, considering statements from @Mike: “Most of the tablets use 0.5 to 0.7 watt speakers but we intend to go for 1.5 watts with high quality sound processing unit.” There was another statement that competitors use 2 0.5w speakers, and the final setup for the V was four speakers with 1w drivers. Literally 4x the power output for the drivers. There’s a discrepancy somewhere…just like to find it out, and fix it if possible!

Yes, I also find that detail very disappointing. I had high expectations and the speakers was one of the factors that led me to the Eve V in the first place, as its quad-speaker configuration seemed to be on paper way better than the competition.

I also would like to understand whether this is the quality I should expect from the final product or whether it’s some missing calibration on the review units.

well, “most tablets” may include those $99 Android tablets, $399 iPad, all has one tiny speaker. In the grand scheme of things, Surface and iPad Pro are just a fraction of the entire tablet sales.

But on the greater point, yes Im disappointed. I was expecting iPad Pro-level of sound.

The other post I couldn’t find was referring to competitors in the same class, I believe. I wasn’t expecting iPad Pro because the bass chambers just aren’t there, but I was definitely expecting best-in-class otherwise.

If you watch Dave2Ds original Eve V video he mentions that the speakers are very clean.

There are reviews that state that they get louder than the Surface Pro, and is the best in its class.
The inconsistentcy in reviews are scary. The same case with battery life.

Im more interested in testing out the noise cancelling microphones. I iknow a really noisy place and i think th v will struggle. That place is sydney pitt st Westfields food court under my myer during sunday lunch! Does anyone else agree… i mean you can even her urself taking.

Just keep your expectations open for a situation like that. Noise cancelling in a certain noisy environment for a tablet sized microphone wouldn’t give you the same effect as a dedicated mic that say a pilot would use. But it’ll be interesting what you find and do report back!

Same here. This was one of the clinchers for me.

How to approach this is to define,

1. What are the HW components installed, and then list what is it really capable to deliver? There is no point to expect any great performance especially when it cannot deliver or intended to.
  2. firmware, is that the right one?
  3. Ergonomic or desing of chasis, is it capable to deliver the sound quality or it has actually become an impedance to sound delivery?
  4. Placing of the Sound duct in V? If this could have been somewhere else, will it deliver better?
  5. Comparison to Mac speaker, did anyone one (i mean sound Professional from the community) take a stab at it and come up with his own review to really start with?

other can add…and lets be a constructive criticism and feedback .

For me, this is important. Not being cheap with the speaker sound quality was one of the reasons i’ve went with the eve v. Ofcourse not expecting top of the class, but based on how it has been put forward, better than surface to be sure?

What was she taking and where or who was she taking it from? :joy:

:joy:typos + auto correct. I meant " you can even hear yourself talking".

I said this before.
For battery life you can at least explain it with various things, like reviewers got their devices on 7w tdp(like all will) instead of 4.5 this could have further increased the battery lifetime in reviews, then there are background tasks etc.

…or those tests are run with even higer TDP…

From watching and reading reviews about audio in general, I find that the vast majority of “general” reviewers have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to audio. It’s from a similar camp to those who complain about displays not being bright enough when the contrast ratio is actually far better. It’s not that they’re being malicious, it’s just that they don’t know any better, and like the pretty high-saturation, high-brightness, crappy contrast. Primary colors sell to the masses, deep blacks don’t.

So audio I find is the same way. Unless somebody is used to testing audio, and thus has a controlled environment, they are basically just talking out of their ass. For example, I have come across a grand total of ONE review where he knew to plug in high-impedance headphones to correctly test the added power of the output amp on the headphone jack. The rest just said “it’s good, but I don’t know if it makes a difference.” They didn’t know that they weren’t doing good testing.

I say the same principal applies to general speaker testing, which means MOST of them are bad and don’t know how to do it. Evidence of this is if you ever hear echoes in their reviews. It means they don’t know audio, and how to record it, and probably not how to listen to it as well. When I see somebody speak about testing it in their clothes closet (or somewhere with COPIOUS amounts of fabric to dampen echoes, or an actual sound stage) side-by-side with another laptop/tablet, then I’ll believe them.

Thus, I wouldn’t worry too much yet. It’s possible that it’s not great, but I have yet to see good evidence of such, just a bunch of audio amateurs that aren’t testing right.

P.S. Note to self: test the V against my wife’s laptop audio in our closet after my LB arrives.

Just don’t let anybody catch you!

Not to bump, but…bump. Don’t kill me @Helios. :grin:

Very interested in this metric. It was definitely a “claim-to-fame”, so I’m looking forward to good speakers. It’s actually in my use-case, and if it’s weaker than the SP4 I’m going to have issues. I was hoping for 50% better at a minimum…I need the speakers to be good for outdoor video presentations (yes, it’s very niche, but it’s my use - a portable speaker would not be a good option here).

Based on the numbers, prototype testers mention on relatively weak speakers and Konstantinos mentioning how they were tweaking the speakers for a massive power gain on final production models, I want to know where we’re at! Thanks again.

What does 50% mean? If you mean loudness, well DBs are logarithmic. Another thing is that humans aren’t the best judge of ratios in their senses. They tend to underestimate what increases in loudness and brightness are, instead of hearing a 50% increase as 50% increase they’ll think a 300% increase is a 50% increase (just an example). Our minds work exponentially for things like that so it wouldn’t really translate the way you’d expect.

Anyway I think you just mean a significant difference.

Is loudness the end all, be all factor of a speaker?

If bass and volume is the only important thing, then brands like Audio Technica or AKG or Grado would had already been under bankruptcy and we will only have Beats and Sol and Skull Candy.

Clean accurate sound is a factor too. And reality is, for most devices I own, cranking up past 60% is not a common thing anyway. They really need to say what decibel it goes to and then make accurate comparisons at each decibel level so that we get a better real world comparison.