Questions from the designers

If you use sync programs it opens up a lot of possibilities. You can monitor the temperature of your components and adjust the color hue with it. You can make it a notification led for email or steam messages. You can let it sync with the time of day and let it gradually change from a day to night color.

And if you use the current available software you don’t have to make the software yourself.

Or make an subtle RGB party in the light… Which actually sounds like fun for 5 seconds :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am not a software developer so I am not sure but I think it might be easier to just make the software if it’s only for controlling a single LED than to make it work with every RGB software. I’m personally a fan of RGB but don’t think it’s worth the extra work for this

You. I like you.

Because it’s the default setting to show off just how RGB a product is, most people think of the ‘rainbow barf’ effect when RGB comes up. But it’s much more about being able to pick a single color that matches what you already have or matches your design, or with the advent of more advanced and standardized software, to actually portray information like the mail notification you mentioned.

If we can plug into these existing systems, assuming we don’t have to pay a fortune in licensing fees or something, I like that idea a lot. It’s more than just not making the software ourselves: it’s integrating this light with a system that a user may already have set up. And honestly, I don’t like having to install a separate piece of software for each and every feature of each and every peripheral, especially when there already are standards for it. Why re-invent the wheel?

That said, like @Javild said, people seem mostly interested in a small, unobtrusive light. So with that in mind, not having these features probably won’t matter as much than if, say, we’d gone big with Philips Ambilight-style lighting…

4 Likes

Current Monitor Asus 4k@60 [MG28UQ] its general not great at anything. Hoping to get 2 or 3 Spectrum

Port Placement
USB-C Everything is the future. in reversible nature makes it quick and easy to use. I would prefer it to be with the temporary ports for ease of use. However I get that some people want to use it as their display port. If we could get a third USB-C for the PowerDelivery and video display that would be great otherwise i would prefer all the USB-C in the temporary position.

Temporary Port Orientation
Part of the reason that i don’t really use the temporary ports today is because in most cases they arn’t really temporary because they are hidden away behind my monitor. I would like them to be easy to use like D (A makes them unusable if you place your monitors side by side) for quick use like flash Drives but the connectors hidden like B or E. I hate to say it but C (the apple solution) seems like the best compromise of ease of use VS hiding the connectors as long as its place low enough on the back of the display. My solution would be to D and B or E. Place the USB-C along the edge (USB-C is the future for temporary peripherals like flash drives) and the USB-A hidden in the back for mouse and keyboard. Because USB-C is normally disconnect-able on both sides you you can at least try to match your cables preserving that clean look.

Temporary Port Location
As low as possible for ease of use preferably on the bottom left side. I am left handed and mouse with my right. for me i find that most people place the computer tower to the right for mouse cable length (if they still use a wired mouse) so there are enough USB ports on that side.

Portrait Mode
an option for Portrait mode is a requirement HARD STOP. I would suggest that if it dose need to be ‘permanently fixed’ that it uses a quick disconnect solution to remove the whole panel from the stand.

Power & control buttons
OSD joy-sticks are surprising intuitive to use but i would prefer a combination of 1 and 5 for quicker adjustments.

Additional Buttons
keep it simple and to the operations most commonly used

• Separate Input select
  • Separate Power button (if you have ever had one of those cheep VIZIO TVs with a single button on the back you know why)

Status Light Positon
I would say keep it simple. small out of the way but easy to see if your looking for it. My current monitors implementation is perfect (MG28UQ). Bottom right corner. from below it is a full strip. it goes all the way to the back of the case but from in front it it appers to be 3 or 4mm wide and 1 mm high.

Status Light color
Fully customize-able RGB from the OSD or RGB software to match the predominant color on screen would be cool if it doesn’t add much more cost( < $25). other wise keep it simple and non distracting with dim-able brightness. I never want to see my monitor light unless i’m looking for it. And when i am looking for it I want it to be simple and easy to understand.

• On neutral white
  • Stand by Amber
1 Like

I’d want to purchase a monitor without a base/stand coz I’ll be Vesa mounting it to the stand in the image, I’d want a clean setup so any cables going into the monitor will be routed neatly in the back so I can have a clean looking front setup. Where my rig is (on the floor) isn’t an issue for me, it can be a jungle of wires from there on for all I care.
Looking forward to upgrading from crappy dual 1080p monitors!

1 Like

What about an Audio out port(3.5mm) for our hradphones?
They are impotant for systems that don’t have a built in headphone jack, like the PS3

2 Likes

Slipped my mind when putting together the post, but we’ve got you covered! Along with the temporary ports will also be a 3.5mm minijack audio out to let you enjoy the sound that comes with your HDMI or other video input source…

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear it. Was kinda disappointed when there was no mention of it.

1 Like

Pretty sure I asked for audio in a previous comment about MDP! The audio out position should be clarified as well: low down and central allows connection to a mini stereo speaker below the monitor (great for Skype calls etc); low down and on the left suits headphones (won’t trail across the keyboard and most wired headphones have the cable connecting to the left ear). My vote would be for central given that Bluetooth headphones are becoming popular and mini-speakers often have very short connection cables.

3 Likes

You’re correct on the Ram. It’s a 1950x Theadripper. It runs 3x Gaming VMs (1080, 1070ti, 1060), Unifi Controller, Plex server, and NAS concurrently. Custom Liquid cooled with 24v Noctua Industrial 140 fans. It pulls ~110watts at idle and is so quiet that when I’m gaming the only thing you can hear is the coil wine from the GPU and you have to be above or beside the monitor for that. All three VMs can game concurrently, which pulls about 700 watts.

1 Like

I was intending those ram sticks in my machine to be status indicators (Temps, cpu, network usage) but the linux support for custom commands never materialized for that board/ram combo and I’d rather not brick it messing around on my own.

1 Like

I forgot to include a picture of my setup (yes, I’m aware I need smaller speakers … that’s in the cards, I’m coming from another setup where I used to have more space)

On the makeshift shelf above the screen, you can see the bunch of Type-C extenders and adapters I’m hoping to replace with Spectrum :slight_smile:

Here’s a pic of my setup at work. My home setup is a WIP, so this picture should better illustrate how I typically organize things. It also helps that the center/main monitor happens to be 27", just like Spectrum.

I just realized that I forgot a picture of the front lol. I’m about to go on vacation, so I can’t get good pictures of that. So I’ll just throw together a crude top-down mockup of how I’d use Spectrum at home:

1 Like