Question about screen resolution and refresh rate

I just received my 4k monitor and I have a few questions (i have also included what I am seeing on my comp).

I installed the latest firmware update and all that. I have been fiddling around with the settings and is this right? Should my active signal resolution only be 1920x1080? Also, I cant select a refresh rate above 60hz, is this normal? Thanks.

i think i fixed the problem by switching cables.

2 Likes

I am only able to select up to 120hz, do i need to do anything special to get it to 144hz? I am using a new 2.1 hdmi cable.

gtx 1080 doesn’t support hdmi 2.1. you need newer GPUs like the 30 series to hit 144hz and to get 10bit.
i suggest at least a rtx 3070 gpu.

1 Like

perfect thanks. now all i need is to find a 3080 lol

1 Like

i’ve been hearing from a friend that 3080 ti have been stocked regularly over at Micro Center. If you have one near you see if they have any.

1 Like

Until you manage to find a 3080, you should try switching to a DisplayPort cable. It’s got more bandwidth available than HDMI 2.0, which means that you’ll at least do better than YCbCr420 for colour.

YCbCr420 reduces picture quality because it shares a certain amount of colour information for each 2x2 block of pixels. This makes it a lot harder to show accurate colours. YCbCr422 is better because it halves the height of this block (2x1 pixels, i.e. 2 pixels on the same row), and YCbCr444 gives each pixel its own colour information.

A DisplayPort cable should be able to get you YCbCr444 or pure RGB when you do 4K @ 120Hz. However, you’re unlikely to get 144Hz or HDR because the 1080 lacks support for display stream compression, and you compression to fit the required data down a DisplayPort 1.4 connection.

2 Likes