Qualcomm Snapdragon in V

Snapdragon 835 in 2-in-1 tablet with 20hrs active battery use! Will ARM Snapdragon be used for future next generation of V instead of Intel Kaby Lake processor?

I’m curious about the performance. My experience with the snapdragon processors is that after a year or so, they become bad. But, I’m not sure this is due to software or hardware degradation, as every device was running Android, and Android wasn’t that great a few years ago.

very interesting, but mostly for people without a data limit kind of subscription.
Will roaming costs kill the fun of these things?

Eh that is nothing to do with snapdragon. You are probably talking about Samsung Android ui or something

I will not touch those monstrosities like Touchwiz on the S3 and S4! (it has become better)

But i’ve had this experience with One plus one, HTC one m7 and HTC one m9. Plus some other random Android devices that were the property of family/friends.
Again, i have no clue what is natural, what is Android and what is actually Qualcomm. So benchmarks would be interesting. If they are seen anywhere, I would appreciate a link :smiley:

I used Windows Phone on a Lumia 920 (Snapdragon S4) for 3 years - phone started to get slower after about 18 months, but wasn’t really perceptible until over 2 years in. Even then, it was barely perceptible. The main reason I would’ve had to dump my 920 was because of battery life at the 3 year mark.
Currently I use a Lumia 950XL (Snapdragon 810 processor), and have not noticed any lag from the processor. The phone is currently 22 months old, and was bought new.

It’s too early to consider that. First, we don’t know how well it performs yet. They’re doing software emulation of the Intel instruction set, with some hardware assist. That does not bode well for performance of software that is CPU bound but isn’t available compiled natively for ARM.

They also don’t have this able to run the x64 version of Win 10 yet, and being restricted to 4GB of RAM would make the V a toy for many users.

I didn’t even know there still was a new 32bit windows

Does CPU even get slower over time? It makes no sense to me, as the clockspeed would have to stay the same. Either that, or it crashes.

There are a number of potential causes for people claiming the device slows down over time. The most common cause is software “bloat”. Basically the latest OS versions are geared towards the latest processors and their capabilities. So the perception is the device is slowing down over time, when in reality the software is getting more demanding and the chip just can’t keep up.

Other potential causes are physical changes within the device, such as changes to thermal dissipation capabilities. This can cause the CPU to prematurely throttle. Again, giving the appearance of slowing down.

You know how SSDs wear out right? Well, the transistors in a processor can wear out over time too. Granted, things in processors work very differently than in SSDs, but semiconductors are still semiconductors, and they degrade over time. Also, connections, solder, thermal damage (even at standard operating temperature the processor is taking some amount of damage from releasing heat) and many other things will wear over time from consistent use.

It’s a bit difficult to imagine because the wear is so different from what we’re used to seeing, but it still happens in processors.

Apple is the only desktop OS company I know of that doesn’t make x32 operating systems anymore (as far as I know, Darwin may still have x32). Windows cares a lot about backwards compatibility with hardware, as does linux developers, so they keep the x32 version around for those still running on old hardware.

Which is not true anymore (about x32) since more and more linux distribution are deprecating their 32 bits versions recently.

And its still true as they are still making them. Apple is the only one at the moment that doesn’t produce or support 32bit apps anymore, not on phones not on Macs

well If you want to be technical yes it is still true. It just means that we have around one year or 2 year max for the transition phase where no x32 hardware support will be made anymore

Early benchmarks put the x32 emulation performance at roughly the same level as the Surface 3…Not the Surface Pro 3, but the Surface 3 that used an Atom processor that’s nearly 3 years old at this point. That’s fine for a secondary device that’s meant to have amazing battery life and allow for light productivity. But it’ll be a while before they can take the place of Intel processors.