PS5 VRR and the blackscreens

Yeah - though I will say it didn’t go through the whole ‘processing update’ piece. After update and power cycle it just turned on and the OSD shows the new version.

1 Like

Hi @Anubis, @8BiTw0LF & @PrazVT,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll inform the firmware team so we could investigate further into this.

Just for a bit more clarity, when you were experiencing the black screen was the blacklight still on?

@PrazVT - Perfectly normal, please see below.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, power LED was on.

1 Like

Backlight was on - but no picture

1 Like

Rachet and Clank that was full black screen in gameplay with VRR on and 120 Hz output mode is now working well. Still need to test more when I have time.

3 Likes

I have another test build that might help with the black screens / blanking. This one has eliminated the no display signal issue when resuming from standby and when first powering on my PC, and I’m hoping it goes a long way to eliminating the same issues across all devices.

Without further ado, please download test 4 and give it a whirl.

And this time, I actually have a changelog for you:

1. Removed old nVidia low refresh rate fix for sub 30 Hz refresh rates (a new fix is coming in the next build).
  2. Added DSC over Type-C.
  3. Added DDC control from non-active display signal connections.
  4. Includes all fixes from test 3 .bin
8 Likes

Okay on my Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro (Type 82L5) DSC seems to be working.
HDR is finally available with 4K@144Hz - and the flickering seems to be gone.

Always had the flickering with a 100W USB-C Cable, sometimes it did it every couple of seconds.

3 Likes

Coming from 106 where I was having rampant blackscreens when playing elden ring, I tested the test3 build and my problems were gone. I’ll check the most recent build later today and try some more games.

1 Like

Lenovo P1 Gen 4 through USB-C with A2000 graphics card is getting a blank, black screen on Test 4 while all peripherals and monitor are seen (power cycle and factory reset does not resolve). I believe on test 3 it was fine. Had to switch to HDMI for now

1 Like

You can flash test 3 back over test 4 with no issues if you prefer the Type-C.

Just to verify, though, you did check the Type-C bandwidth setting, add it would have gotten test after flashing test 4, correct?

Okay, actually it just took some time.
The blanking issue is still there on Test 4 - even with FreeSync disabled and switched to a lower framerate :confused:

1 Like

Sorry for the back and forth but UPDATE the issue was auto source (and exists on Test 3 as well which is how I realized it was my fault as things weren’t sleeping after reverting).
-The monitor defaults to auto source, a feature I’ve never actually understand how to use properly. The time lag of the monitor cycling for a new input seems to cause me most of the issues of wake up and sleep.

I’m back to Test4 now and sleep/wake are fine in my usual mode of manually selecting source.

Does the firmware team provide you specific info on expected monitor behavior so we can better test?
-Time between no source detection and no signal message.
-Time between no signal message and backlight sleep.
-Time from input source received to expected monitor wake and source display.
-Time from source resolution change A to B.
-Full explanation of timing around Select Automatic for Input source (how much time is spent on each input before cycling, time until it gives up and sleeps, etc.)

And so on. Basically it would be good to know the ways the monitor is intended to behave through its various features/functions.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi @Upstaged,

This is an excellent point. There are some “quirks” that the community has shared that turn out to be intended behaviour but need further tuning.

Obviously, I don’t think the monitor defaulting to auto-source is the intended behaviour, so we will have to fix that.

The timing for signal detection is tricky since it involves both the Spectrum and the video source (i.e., your PC/console). From my understanding, Spectrum cycles through each video input port in a fixed interval during auto-detect. If Spectrum detects a video source from the port it is currently waiting on; then it will receive and display the video. If not, then it will continue its detection to another port, before it cycles back again. The thing is, many (if not all) video sources do not transmit video signals constantly. If it does not detect any monitor on the other end, the device will stop transmitting until the video cable is replugged back in.

The possible fix is to tune the speed of how Spectrum cycles between each port. But also consider the fact that each video card/console also has its own “timer”.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to check them all at once, so as not to miss the signal before it’s gone? Some sort of multi-threading. It is easier to do one but maybe a more sophisticated approach is needed. If not, then possibly the timer could be sped up significantly. Measure how long signals from different GFX cards / platforms hold for, and take the base minimum, and poll under that.

2 Likes

Hi @mohasi,

I completely agree with the timer part but I am not sure if it is possible to do simultaneous detection for all ports.

This is something that has been brought up internally, to see if we can tune the setting to reach desirable result.

1 Like

No issues with blanking so far with Test3 with respect to input switching. But eventually mid game (PS5), there is a some blanking if I switch menus in game. I forgot to check what mode VRR was on though. Will check. (Forced on)

Update:. Turned on PS5 and monitor stuck on this:

20220521_105608

Had to unplug / replug.

2 Likes

hello, :blush:
can i update directly to test 4 without doing the previous test update ?

1 Like

Hi @Bphkw Yes you can :+1:

3 Likes

Have you tried test4?

2 Likes

This is on Test4. It did it this morning once as well. It’s like the first power on after a night being off. Beyond that, I likely need to test something that actually supports VRR. Having it on in any capacity with Destiny 2 will eventually induce flickering when going to in-game menus. But otherwise, it appears to be working. Now if we could just get those input changes to be instantaneous…

4 Likes