PS5 VRR and the blackscreens

Been testing the new VRR update for PS5 and most games blacksreens. Elden Ring is unplayable with VRR. Some games only has minor (occasional) blackscreens.

The blackscreens showing even without VRR enabled is also still an issue. Is there a fix coming for this? I have to say it - but it’s a dealbreaker for me - and if it’s not fixed within the next month I’ll ask for a refund.

6 Likes

Destiny 2 is unplayable too, HDR is turning on and off randomly, blackscreens everytime you change menu and washed out colors half the times.
Only way to play on PS5 rn is to turn off VRR. Never had problems on Series X.

Edit: if it can help the blackscreens often happen when black is predominant on screen. It’s like some power saving mode activates and shutdown the panel.

2 Likes

It’s like the monitor can’t make a static picture - like if the resolution or framerate changes it tries to scale and goes black in the process.

1 Like

Here’s a list of supported and unsupported screens:

(1) VRR Compatible Monitor/TV List for PS5 (2022) : PS5 (reddit.com)

I added the Eve Spectrum 4K as unsupported in commentaries.

1 Like

Can confirm VRR is causing rampant blackscreens on PS5

3 Likes

CoD Vanguard is unplayable too, same problems as destiny 2, maybe even wors. VRR is completely messed up as of now.

3 Likes

I have a 100% repeatable fully stuck blank screen glitch in Ratchet and Clank using VRR mode and the D03.

On Blizar Prime (~30% into the game) is a crystal you strike to change dimensions. Every time you do this, the screen wipes outward at full bright white for the visual effect before revealing the new environment. This triggers the screen blanking out every single time.
Example video (not mine) of the gameplay mechanic I am referring to:

The only way to recover from the blank screen is to hit the PS button. This forces the control center popup menu to engage and this restores an image to the D03.

The PS5 already exhibited getting my D03 stuck occasionally when shifting to 120hz mode for the first time. It mostly self recovers after a few seconds and never occurs beyond the mode switch (like in Uncharted Legacy of Thieves).

4 Likes

PS5 VRR Goes Live Without System Update! But Sony Forgot to Do This. - YouTube
its due to the ps5 vrr chroma range thats making color look washout. hdtvtest in the 3min mark talks about it and a solution.
Screenshot_20220427-131949_Twitter

1 Like

But the “solution” is not available on Spectrum, since we can’t change chroma range lol

2 Likes

If it helps, this is a known issue involving gsync monitors. Nvidia has workarounds in their driver to disable gsync on Linux in things that display static images to avoid the issue.

1 Like

Sadly we don’t have options to disable drivers on PS5

1 Like

this person is also having problems ever since the ps5 vrr update.

2 Likes

Found this. Vrr supported via hdmi 2.1. Other displays with g-sync and amd freesync are not supported. Eve spectrum is g-sync and amd freesync compatible. Looks like its a ps5 problem by not supporting amd freesync.
Screenshot_20220427-131949_Twitter
So maybe try turning off freesync via spectrum osc to low latency mode.
as @Alessio_Berto mentioned before that he hasn’t had issues with his xbox is because xbox supports amd freesync.

1 Like

The PS5 only supports ‘HDMI Forum VRR’, but some HDMI 2.0 Freesync displays work with PS5 VRR up to 60hz.

OSD on Spectrum doesn’t show Freesync, only VRR when on PS5 input. Turning VRR off and Low Latency on doesn’t have any effect - still able to turn on VRR in PS5 settings, which is weird.

The blanking issues have been part of the PS5 “experience” since day one. With VRR introduced it just went rampant.

1 Like

hopefully @nkyadav and his team can pinpoint the problem and get a firmware patch to everyone asap.

3 Likes

Yes this is pretty urgent. People will base their purchase on compatibility. A fix within days or the rumor will spread like wildfire.

2 Likes

@ryao What you’re saying isn’t relevant as the issue is occurring on PS5. This isn’t on Nvidia. This is a monitor problem.

1 Like

Just of note everyone, this VRR issue has been occurring on this monitor since the beginning and it still hasn’t been fixed yet. We’re only seeing it now with the PS5 because they just added VRR.

The firmware team still hasn’t been able to figure out the cause of the issue which is very alarming as the issue could be hardware based and may not be fixable via firmware. Yes - at this point I’m going there.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

The issue has been brought up internally. We are still investigating the issue to find the root cause. It might be possible that the VRR function PS5 require clashes with what Spectrum can offer. But none of this confirmed yet.

Referring back to @LoneWolf’s post, I don’t think this is related to NVIDIA since PS5 clearly stated that it only supports VRR thru HDMI 2.1. It doesn’t support G-SYNC or FreeSync.

2 Likes

Can you please let us know ASAP if VRR on PS5 is not possible on the Spectrum at all?

2 Likes