Prototype Testing Community Feedback

I created this as a vehicle for the community to react to bugs reported.

I’ll start with one of the reported bugs and folks can respond accordingly. It was reported that the screen goes off when leaving the keyboard attached and only folding it back. All windows machines have a funky response when folding the screen back. It seems that the V is assuming screen 2 when leaving the keyboard attached and only folding it back, and since there is no screen 2, a blank screen appears.

This can be resolved with a default behavior in the BIOS settings for the screen, that screen 1 is always assumed, and that the keyboard combination to switch between screen 1 and 2 is depressed or when the screen is folded back, instead of switching screens, pop up the display properties to ask whether screen 1 or 2 should be used and the characteristics of the chosen screen should be interrogated. ]

Apparently the folding back of the keyboard is being interpreted as the key combination for switching screens, at least that is my opinion, an easy fix.

It’s way more simple than you described :wink:
Eve V has a hall sensor, which basically detects magnetic field. And the keyboard has a magnet in it. Physically, it really doesn’t matter what way the keyboard is closed (front or back), the magnetic field is nearly identical. So the hall sensor doesn’t “know” if you closed the keyboard on the screen or you folded it back.
The tablet is not trying to “switch screens”, it just detects the “lid closed” event, triggered by the hall sensor.

Still sounds like something that should be fixed, as it sounds like it’d make the tablet unusable with the keyboard folded back…

Yeah it just goes to sleep :slight_smile: But there is unfortunately no way to properly fix it… Actually, there is one but it’s complicated. It gets more complicated as the device gets thinner. Basically if you move the hall sensor towards the front, or towards the back of the device (away from the center), you should be able to adjust its sensitivity in a way that it only detects the keyboard when it’s in front. I’m not an engineer, though :smile:

Let’s build a faraday cage on the right side :wink:

The Surface line doesn’t seem to have the issue, so something should be possible. Perhaps some shielding inside both the back of the tablet and the back of the keyboard?

Does Surface Pro 4 even have this sensor? I didn’t know it goes to sleep when you close the keyboard…

Don’t know if this is the sensor it uses, but it should still disable the keyboard and trackpad and trigger tablet mode in the OS when the keyboard cover is folded behind…

But then again - does the Surface Pro 4 actually do this? Can anyone confirm? If it does, we should look into how it does it…

https://eve.community/t/mullenia-prototype-testing/5849/40?u=samonos&source_topic_id=5866
I asked this question in a previous thread but no answer from EVE team
@Konstantinos @Mike @iKirin : any (good) news about that?

I would assume it is a BIOS function that detects a folded back and attached keyboard and reacts accordingly. And I also assume that this is required. I don’t believe it is something fixable with hardware. At least not without significant effort.

Of course I don’t know why someone would be using the V in tablet mode with the keyboard attached, but that’s just me. But with the screen off, it is impossible to tell what went wrong. Maybe a splash screen message as a default instructing the user to detatch the keyboard, I am not sure what the fix is but something either a fix of the condition (if the keyboard is attached and the sensor is triggered, assume the tablet mode is activated with the keyboard attached, I am not sure what the command would look like but I think it is a method of the keyboard driver or the tablet driver, or possibly both).

What happened is:
Eve V thinks you closed the keyboard on the screen. There is no way to tell apart closing it and folding it back. At least that’s what I can tell from looking at it.

I checked with the Surface Pro 4 of a friend… closing “the lid” (meaning placing the keyboard on the screen) performs the action enabled in the setting (for him it was hibernate).
Folding the keyboard on the back did not do it. I will check what the keys do (if I could still type) when I’m over there next time. At least while it was laying on my lap it did not seem to recognize keys.

But overall I agree, there should be different behavior of the V depending on which direction I fold the keyboard. Otherwise I have to always detach it which does defy the purpose of having a 2-in-1 and trying to use it in tablet mode for me. I see myself with a lost keyboard because I forgot it at a random starbucks after detaching it so I could work with the V in tablet mode :neutral_face:

Oh, thanks for reminding :smile: the Windows settings for closing lid don’t really work with my prototype, it goes to sleep even if I disable that in settings :smiley:

Mentioned this in another thread, but basically what exialpho said. Since I got a cheapo 12’’ 2-in-1 with a case, I’ve found I rarely use the hard keyboard attachment that came with it since it’s annoying having to pop it on and off and take the tablet out of its magnetic cover when I want to switch modes. I can see some instances where I’d want to use the keyboard detached, but most of the time (assuming it adds a negligible amount of weight) I think I’d rather just have a complete unit.

On the Surface Pro 4 keyboard, I believe it is bi-directional (can be attached in the normal position, or reversed 180 degrees), so when you fold it back, you don’t feel the keys.

Further, as @exialpho mentioned, the keyboard can be folded back and keys will deactivate, but the system does not go to “sleep” or “hibernate”. I believe these are both pretty important usability features, so if it is solvable at this stage, that would be great.

2 things that were mentioned in other posts -
@Mike said not to connect them backwards as it could result in a short. (the newer prototypes will not allow you apparently)

the SP4 has an accelerometer in the keyboard (apparently) and can tell when in it wrapped back around the tablet.

and two possible solutions -

1 - if the hall sensor and light sensor both triggered = closed = screen off; if hall sensor and no light sensor = wrapped around= tablet mode

2 put a delay on switching to screen off, and if the space bar is pressed within that time, put it in tablet mode.

Hmm, I don’t remember where he said it would be a short circuit… But my prototype doesn’t allow backwards connection, that I can tell for sure :slight_smile:

https://eve.community/t/dallas-tx-prototype-testing/5788/52?u=mlivesey&source_topic_id=5866

see the last sentence.

Just tried rotating/flipping the keyboard back all the way on SP4 (keeping screen in landscape). Windows detects the change and displays the auto rotate notification and disables key input in the same way as rotating the screen to portrait with the keyboard attached. The keyboard can also be reversed and it works nicely.

Having said all that, this is the first time I have tried to flip/reverse the keyboard in 6 months. General usage at least for me is attached typing or detached as a tablet.