Project: V | Visual Brilliance

vbbv2

Beloved community,

After taking a close look at the keyboard, let’s zoom in onto the display.

HDR

HDR is the short form for high dynamic range. This technology provides a more natural look to videos by balancing light and dark areas and recording a wide range of colors. When viewing HDR videos through an HDR display, the creator’s original intent is well-preserved.

P1004016-Enhanced
For a finer gradient and the reproduction of rich colors, 10-bit depth activates automatically on the V when HDR is toggled in Windows Settings.

See HDR playback on the V 2021 in action.

Color Accuracy

Color accuracy is another crucial factor in preserving the original intent of the viewing content. A typical measurement for color accuracy is Delta E, which indicates the difference between the displayed color and the standard. Through testing, we found that the prototype’s average Delta E is below two, meaning that the color difference is unnoticeable by the average eyes.

P1004019-Enhanced

Delta E measurement result

Battery life

How long can the V last when playing HDR video on battery? Battery life has become one of the burning questions in the community lately. Since you asked, we performed an HDR battery test to show how the V fairs in this area.

FHD HDR YouTube playback for one hour took 36%. This is with full screen brightness and maximum keyboard backlight brightness, as well as better performance power setting in Windows.

Detailed device information

Eve V (2021) prototype
Intel Core i7-1165G7
32GB quad-channel 4267MT/s LPDDR4X
1TB NVMe SSD
3840×2400 10-bit IGZO IPS panel
64-bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 21H2

The test is performed after a clean install of Windows with all available updates and drivers.

Now that we’ve walked you through the most meaningful aspects of prototypes themselves, we’ll turn our focus to production behind the scenes. Stay tuned!

nlbanner

8 Likes

Thanks. Out of curiosity, is that ΔE 76, 94 or 2000?

1 Like

Video test from 100% to 64% in 1Hour. So after 3.5Hours, it’s over. Was the test with full Display brightness? How is then in normal office workload? I will wait on a real test from what I saw now. My estimate is around 5.5 hours with a typical workload and 50% brightness.

2 Likes

Hey, @spid!

I’ve put in a ticket for this question to Datacolor support and await their response. In the meantime, calculations based on Lab data and the formula for 76 show that the result is not 76.

Hey, @Liquinvest! It is correct.

Would you like to suggest some testing methods suitable for everyday office workload that we may try? Because many programs may be used in a typical office workload (and various power settings, too).

1 Like

Who works 5.5 hours a day?

Does the V2 support upgrading the battery to one that will last 8 hours minimum?

1 Like

Hey, @apgray!

The V 2021 may have a different battery run time depending on the combination of tasks a user performs. If you would like us to test another use case for the battery life, please don’t hesitate to let us know your suggestion.

2 Likes

I have some question about the battery and power input. My old tablet has a problem - If I want to perform tasks on the device that are energy intensive (such as utilizing the integrated graphics chip or HDR screen or sth.) the tablet battery slowly decharges even though I have plugged the power cable in. The power delivery is just not big enough to utilize all components only from the power adapter.

So my question… Will the standard power delivery be large enough to support full utilization of HDR screen, Chipset (i7 plus Iris) and main memory? And are there information for loading time in such a utilization environment? And… Can the fan keep all this power input cool?

I dont really have a reproducable use case rather than doing some cpu-intensive calculations or simulations (benchmarks maybe, not only for CPU but also for the Iris graphics) while utilizing the HDR screen with videos or sth…

3 Likes

i think that will be good PCMark 10 Battery Life benchmark

3 Likes

Big Buck Bunny 1080p H264 on loop, display brightness set (calibrated) to 150 cd/m2, wifi and bluetooth disabled, sound muted. If time allows, from full charge to empty.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, guys. We’ll try the Big Buck Bunny test suggested by @Ingenjoor after the weekend.

@Liquinvest Unfortunately, PCMark 10 Battery Life benchmark is not included in the standard PCMark 10 application but requires a Professional Edition that costs USD 1495 per year. It is too much cost for running a benchmark.

Screenshot 2021-08-21 095327

4 Likes

Thx for the info, the Big Buck Bunny test with 150cd/m2 for me is useless will wait on real test from customers then. Eve2 is a beautiful piece the only downside for me at the moment is the 41.3WH Battery.

1 Like

Hey, @Archoran!

How does running powerMAX CPU and GPU burn-in while playing back native HDR video sound to you? We can do this power delivery test next week.

@spid Reply from Datacolor support confirms that this is Delta E 94.

4 Likes

Hey, @Archoran!

We’ve conducted the power delivery test using one of the in-box charger candidates we are evaluating.

Charging status before the test (44%); the adapter and cable are still in development.

Item Setting
Duration 1 hour
Screen brightness Maximum
HDR On
Performance mode Best performance
powerMAX CPU AVX
powerMAX GPU 3840 × 2400
powerMAX timeout None
Movies & TV Native 4K HDR video playback, full screen
HWiNFO64 Running in the background

HWiNFO64 log and charging status after the test (64%).

Hey, @Ingenjoor!

We’ve run the Big Buck Bunny test, albeit for a limited amount of time. We hope this can already give you a good idea of how the V 2021 prototype performs under your testing condition.

Item Setting
Screen brightness 159 nits
HDR Off
Wifi & Bluetooth Disabled
Sound Mute
Performance mode Better battery
Movies & TV big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.MOV repeat, full screen

The following is the result:

Duration (hour) Battery (%)
Start 96
0.5 90
1 84
1.5 77
2 70
2.5 63
Detailed device information

Eve V (2021) prototype
Intel Core i7-1165G7
32GB quad-channel 4267MT/s LPDDR4X
1TB NVMe SSD
3840×2400 10-bit IGZO IPS panel
64-bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 21H2

The test is performed after a clean install of Windows with all available updates and drivers.

2 Likes

Hi, so with WIFI & Bluetooth off and only 159 nits (it’s not near 50% brightness for normal work) and an h264 Vid it will be done in 6.75 Hours. The Battery is the Biggest Problem for me. With Wifi on, 50% brightness, Edge, and office work, you can’t go out without a Powerbank. If you have the LTE Version then it’s almost harder.
Will wait on real tests.

3 Likes