Project: V | Packaging, In All Its Glory

vpacbv2

Hello, hello, community!

I’m back with some of the updates that we’ve been waiting on. The Vs that you’re all awaiting are about to take flight, and it’s a good time to show what their travel bags look like - only haute couture for these machines. We’ll take you through the process of making the boxes, applying the print, and finally actually boxing the V and accessories.

Just so you know, this is my first stab at any sort of video editing, and I apologize in advance for not being able to provide the quality videos that you’re accustomed to seeing. That being said, I’m always open to suggestions and comments on how to improve your viewing experience moving forward. So, sit back, relax, and stay a while, as we visit the last part of the mass production line before our little birds take wing and fly into a neighborhood near you.

High class box art printing

This isn’t your basic inkjet printer here!

So, to start the process off, the factory prints the outer veneer (which I’ll refer to as box wrap), as well as any related inserts (for the V, we have the Quick Start Guide), because this is a long, complicated process, which even includes color validation. Although the order (doing this first) may seem a bit weird, this printing is the longest part, so it’s easiest to complete first.

Preparations

To start off with, if you’ve ever used a color laser printer, then this process will seem familiar. Each color used during the printing process is printed individually onto the stock, one color at a time, and the appropriate saturation of each color blends together to achieve the final output. So, naturally, we first have to have the colors themselves - called dyes for this process - in order to actually print. However, you don’t just throw stock in and hit the print button - everything has to be carefully calibrated, and that means a lot of initial test runs just for this purpose.

Black dye close-up-Enhanced
The black dye used during the printing process, currently awaiting a calibration run.

Prepare the red dye-Enhanced
Preparation of the red dye for calibration phase.

Stages

Referring to my earlier analogy, the stock is fed through a series of machines that print each of the colors separately. It’s like that color laser I mentioned - only much, much larger in scale. During the calibration phase, though, different pieces of stock are run through each color print phase, so they can be assessed individually and the machines calibrated before a full test print phase is run.

IMG_9500
Grant (@Lore_Wonder) behind the scenes during a box wrap print calibration - notice the stock only has blue printing on it currently. During this phase, each color is run through to verify the various parameters necessary to achieve the final print run.

Validation

After the test prints are completed, they are validated for color accuracy. The technician here is a quality control auditor, in that he is auditing the accuracy of the colors applied to the print in a variety of areas.

Measure color properities of the quick start guide-Enhanced
Evaluation of the color print using the printed calibration at the edge as well as random spots in the print area of these Quick Start Guide samples. The device’s results are used to determine if the sample will be accepted or not. If accepted, the final print phase can begin, but if not, adjustments will need to be made and another test run performed.

Stacks

Once samples have been validated and are accepted, they are ready for the box manufacturing phase. This includes the box wrap as well as inserts.

Mass-produced quick start guide packaging print-Enhanced
A stack of the Quick Start Guide inserts for the V.

Here’s is a video combining all of the above steps.

Box manufacture and assembly

Now that the exterior and interior prints are done, the boxes are manufactured, and the required prints are attached by glue to the boxes, to folded appropriately to be inserted in the box. During this phase, the different pieces that make up the boxes are assembled, covered with appropriate paper, wraps, and any interior pieces are also assembled. This process goes a bit faster as the prints are ready and can be adhered to the box upon assembly, and while parts are automated, such as the application of glue, the majority is performed manually.

Assembly

The box assembly is performed through several steps, using a lot of human interaction to complete. Cut pieces are shaped, glued, covered with paper, touched up, and any insert pieces are also assembled.

Comic V packaging assembly factory
In a change, here is a comic of the assembly line during box construction phase.

Assemble adapter box inner structure-Enhanced
Forming of the insert for the accessory box.

Here is a mashup of the box assembly.

Packaging all of the items together

It’s boxing day, it’s boxing day! No, really!

After all of the above, it’s finally time to start packaging the Vs and the accessories in those visually appealing boxes. But, it’s still not a simple process. You can’t just grab a V, drop it in the box, and call it a day! There is a fair bit of prep work involved. The units need to be cleaned thoroughly, then protective layers have to be applied, and then inspected, prior to being placed in its box. Add in the Quick Start Guide, and then the box top, which is placed in a very specific way, and you have the final complete package - ready to ship.

V packaging family-Enhanced
The V family - all boxed up with nowhere to go. Well, not on that day, anyway.

Now you know I’m not going to leave you hanging with a single pic, so for your viewing pleasure, the last video - the boxing process.

So, there you have it. All of this to not only protect the product until you have it in your hands, but also to make it look good - even if you just look at the box. It’s beautiful to look at, and yet, while aesthetically pleasing, the boxes themselves are rather minimalistic. Who says good things don’t come in small packages?

Oh, and before I go - a little birdie told me that these boxes are about to make some big moves. So, we need to start publishing files - drivers, firmware, and the like, right? And don’t forget - straight out of the box, they’re ready to upgrade to Windows 11 - if you so choose. Until next time, then.

nlbanner
websitediscordtwitterfacebookinstagramyoutube

22 Likes

Thanks a lor this update and the nice video about how the packaging is made.
I am a little impressed by the large printing machines, even if the workplace would be too noisy for me.

4 Likes

It’s always surprising to me when I learn just how many aspects of modern tech aren’t fully automated. I even expected that packaging would be mostly automated based on how precise and clean everything looks nowadays.

5 Likes

Thanks for the comprehensive update @nkyadav

6 Likes

“stay forever!”
(Name that game)

1 Like

In addition to Niraj’s great topic! I come with some much anticipated news on the shipping of these orders.

As you may know, there have been unavoidable delays due to the COVID situation in China. We have been hard at work behind the scenes to find an alternative method of shipping out orders. Because of said restrictions, travel arrangements continues to be limited in China and we have been unable to have units delivered to our Hong Kong distribution centre, but good news! We have been able to arrange an alternative process where we will be airfreight shipping V units in bulk to our regional locations.

We have taken this approach to get your devices to you asap, and avoid any further complications caused by the ongoing restrictions in China. Once arrived regionally, we will arrange for couriers to collect and deliver orders. We will have more specific information soon, but we can currently estimate that couriers will begin collecting orders regionally within the next 14 days.

We want to express our apologies for these unavoidable delays but thank you for your patience and understanding.

10 Likes

Out of curiosity, are both express and standard shipping being sent to the regional warehouses and then couriered from there? Or are there still going to be differences in those methods?

2 Likes

To my knowledge, the V went on sale with only the express shipping option available. So shouldn’t be any issues. If you have any information to the contrary please let me know, I’ll get it looked into.

3 Likes

Oh, good to know! Thanks for the clarification. It’s been so long since I placed my order that I really couldn’t remember.

5 Likes

Looks great are you planning on shipping them to the people who paid in December 2017, and didn’t recive a computer or a refund Im sure im not the only one still waiting. I know you will just delete this post, and just move on nothing to see here

2 Likes

Will you have distribution in USA or LATAM?

1 Like

Always interesting to see how these kind of products get made, assembled, packaged, shipped, etc. I remember having a client years ago that manufactured air filters, for computer use to surgical and scientific uses. Even though I was there for various supervisory accounting services, I often got tours of the facilities and got to watch various factory lines running. On a funny side note, watching the line employees assembling the boxes reminded me of a time while I was attending business college and worked a graveyard shift at a cannery standing on a belt line picking out bad pieces of fruit during peach season. The smell of the peach chemical wash and the fast moving line and within 3 days I had developed “belt sickness” where you get dizzy and nauseous while working on the belt line. Fortunately I was rehired shortly when tomato season started and worked as a “grey hat” in quality control which just meant I tested samples of various types from various growers which took about 1/3 shift then slept or did school homework the rest of the shift at my boss’s desk until he came in 30 before I left. Oh, the good old days. But I have a tremendous amount of respect for all those people working in the factories and such making my “V”. I know what it is like to work a hard job just to pay your bills and hopefully raise your standard of living. I hope these folks are getting paid at minimum a living wage and they should be paid more for how hard they work. Off my soap box now.
Looks like mine should be heading over the Pacific soon. Thanks for the update!

5 Likes

Let me double check, I’m pretty sure we have USA distribution, not sure if that serves LATAM or if we have something separate for that region.

I worked for Frito Lay on their assembly line for a couple of years, just stacking boxes of chips. Upward mobility was OK at first, then stagnated, so I eventually left. This was also during my stint in college. At least there we were making much more than minimum wage, and their benefits were not too shabby either. Still when it was time to move on, I moved on.

I noticed you said ‘peach season’ - I live in GA, so peach season is a big thing here lol. I used to live near a locally famous packing plant that offered customers tours of the facility, lots and lots of live (in-season) fruit as well as canned and even pickled (on some occasions) varieties, along with random ‘old country store’ items, and even has a restaurant there with lots of fresh fruit-derived desserts.

Those packing systems are no joke though. Neither were the ones at Frito I worked at 25 years ago.

3 Likes

Will our machines be arriving next week?

Can we please have some confirmation?

3 Likes

Surely by now someone from the Eve team can say something. Any update would be welcome.

4 Likes

So are our Vs being delivered this week or not?

If not now, when???

6fxjdk

1 Like

so, is that you waiting or the delivery guy not able to deliver? :grin:

Us waiting for delivery from a company that takes money but doesn’t deliver.

1 Like

If you are near to Adelaide you should go check these guys out in the meantime.