Project: V | Keyboard Focus

I also received this email yesterday.

This is a real letdown for me, as I need the V to write long texts in German.

The German keyboard layout not only differs from the ANSI one in terms of umlauts and the german ß, but it also has a completely different placement of keys.

Now I have three options, the first one would be to take it and change the layout in the Windows settings (will lead to confusion because all symbols are in different places), the second one would be to exclude the keyboard from my order and use an on-screen-keyboard (I won’t have a screen cover and OSKs are bad anyways), or to cancel my order and buy another, most likely not as great convertible.

I have been waiting for two years to receive my V, and was one of the first people to pre-order.

My question is:

Is there ANY chance that I would be able to buy a German layout keyboard anytime in the future?

4 Likes

Hey, @nkpp,

It is unlikely. Apart from an on-screen keyboard, a third-party Bluetooth or USB keyboard may also be a viable alternative.

This is not a real alternative. I decided on eve because i would get a complete package but that is no longer the case, it is a very, very big limitation for me. And I don’t know if I can make this compromise.

2 Likes

Note also that bluetooth/onscreen keyboards do not function with BIOS and the bitlocker PIN, so if you want to change the boot drive, change BIOS settings or have a bitlocker PIN, you must have a USB-C keyboard (if you don’t have the Eve US keyboard with Pogo pins).

I am in the same situation like you.
I really need the german layout keyboard.

This was a real dealbreaker for me, so i decided to ask support for a refund.

Yes, I would imagine that most people outside the US will cancel their orders. One problem is that you can’t even use stickers as a possible solution because the keys are positioned differently with the single-key height enter key.

Without a german Layout, I’m out will see whats Microsoft will present on 22 September. EVE2 looks now it is perfect only for US Clients.

3 Likes

I was one of the people affected (I wanted a UK keyboard). However, the keyboard on my V 2017 failed some time ago and I’ve been very happily using a cheap wireless USB keyboard from Jelly Comb since then. Despite being cheap I find both the keyboard and mouse good to use so will continue with that setup.

Far more of a problem for me is not being able to get the new V with a UK charger.

Note that the V2 doesn’t have any USB-A ports so you’ll need to use a dongle if you’re using a keyboard with a wireless receiver.

Actually, one should ask for a refund as a matter of principle…

1 Like

Bugger! I hadn’t thought of that. Ah well!

Will ever exist a Portuguese keyboard layout?
Will be difficult to go for the new V without it…
Regards

Hey, @ampsousa

Unfortunately, we are only able to offer the US ANSI layout.

HTH

What about a “blank” keyboard with an agreement with a good quality key stickers provider? Invest on finding a good quality key white transparent sticker and make it available to customers.
For this to work, there should be an option for a “blank” keyboard, to just stick the letter/character it self
Your thougts?

1 Like

Hey @ampsousa

That is an intriguing idea. Would you be willing to explain this more, and in greater detail, perhaps even including a mock-up if you’re able to?

1 Like

@ampsousa That will not work. The ANSI keyboard has a single-height enter key, and the ISO keyboard has a double-height enter key. So it’s impossible with stickers to map an ANSI keyboard to an ISO keyboard. It would only be possible if Eve offer a “blank” ISO keyboard in addition to a US ANSI keyboard.

This web page illustrates the issue well:

The second (more minor) issue is that the stickers do not work with a keyboard backlight. The lettering in the keys is transparent to allow the light to go through (and light up the letter) while the rest of the key is not transparent. That would not work with stickers.

3 Likes

… such a partner that denied us the layouts that we ordered. I am sure you evaluated the numbers of refunds because of the lag of a right keyboard. If there is enough demand, how does the team feel about the idea of selling keyboards other layouts standalone in the future when the partner takes back their restriction? Or with the idea of developing a keyboard dock for the V?

Hi @Archoran,

It is unlikely that more layouts become available in the foreseeable future. Regarding the reason for the current keyboard availability, it is explained by our previous comment.

1 Like

Such a shame you’re not producing other keyboard layouts besides US anymore. Any idea if these will be available in the future?

2 Likes

i hope we will be available to order other layouts later. It is realy a shame only us keyboards are available. I’m looking for an other manufactor