Project: V | Fully Functional Prototype

vbaotb

Beloved community,

I’m back from my holiday! It was wonderful to have a trip with my friends. Together, we paced alongside the Yangtze River, explored mountains, parks, and had lots of fun photographing the awesome scenery. Now, I’ve flown to Shenzhen to visit the manufacturer of the V and bring you our latest progress on this front.

P1003852-Enhanced-2
Captured in Chongqing, China by me on July 19th

We’ve come so far

The Keyboard, Pen, and V Tablet are now working together seamlessly. Moreover, after meaningful tuning, we are ready to reveal the benchmark scores we obtained from the latest prototypes.

Below are other benchmark results we’ve documented using one of the development units. We are aware that tests such as Fire Strike or Time Spy, do not match common use cases for the V. These scores are included for reference only and are subject to change, as we will continue to seek the optimal balance among performance, thermals, and power draw.

Benchmark Score
PCMark 10 overall 4638
PCMark 10 Essentials 9164
PCMark 10 Productivity 6652
PCMark 10 Digital Content Creation 4445
3DMark Wild Life 11198
3DMark Sky Diver 11876
3DMark Fire Strike 4161
3DMark Night Raid 12743
3DMark Time Spy 1329
Detailed benchmark information

Device 1, ‘2017’, Eve V (2017) EV054CA mass production unit:
Intel Core i7-7Y75
16GB dual-channel 1866MT/s LPDDR3
512GB NVMe SSD
2880×1920 8-bit IGZO IPS panel
64-bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 21H1

Device 2, ‘2021’, Eve V (2021) prototype:
Intel Core i7-1165G7
16GB quad-channel 4266MT/s LPDDR4X
1TB NVMe SSD
3840×2400 10-bit IGZO IPS panel
64-bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 21H1

Tests were run after a clean install of Windows with all available updates and drivers. Devices were connected to AC power during these tests.

benchmark 2017 2021
PCMark 10 2794 4638
Essentials1 6476 9164
App Start-up score 8370 11668
Video Conferencing Score 5726 7936
Web Browsing Score 5668 8312
Productivity2 5047 6652
Spreadsheet Score 5785 5926
Writing Score 4404 7467
Digital Content Creation3 1813 4445
Photo Editing Score 2434 7474
Rendering and Visualization Score 1039 2435
Video Editing Score 2358 4828

1 The Essentials test group covers the most common ways that people use a computer.
2 The Productivity test group measures system performance with everyday office applications.
3 The Digital Content Creation test group reflects the demands of working with digital content and media.

benchmark 2017 2021
Wild Life1 1984 11198
Sky Diver2 2953 11876
Graphics Score 2881 13226
Physics Score 3491 8199
Combined Score 2830 10874
Fire Strike3 802 4161
Graphics Score 897 4949
Physics Score 3753 9261
Combined Score 270 1396
Night Raid4 3472 12743
Graphics Score 3940 16676
CPU Score 2076 5455
Time Spy5 312 1329
Graphics Score 276 1215
CPU Score 1267 2862

1 Wild Life is a cross-platform benchmark for high-end smartphones and lightweight notebook computers.
2 Sky Diver is a DirectX 11 benchmark for systems with mainstream graphics cards, mobile GPUs, or integrated graphics.
3 Fire Strike is a DirectX 11 benchmark for high-performance gaming PCs.
4 Night Raid is a DirectX 12 benchmark for mobile computing devices with integrated graphics.
5 Time Spy is a DirectX 12 benchmark for high-performance gaming PCs.

We’d love to hear what you think about our latest progress of the new V. Stay tuned as we ship your V (2021) orders in Q3 this year!

nlbanner

22 Likes

Q3 this year has already started. Is the new Eve really ready in 2 months?

That would be amazing! I was expecting it to take way longer.

Hopefully there are less delays than with spectrum.

4 Likes

Looks amazing! It looks pretty powerful, I wonder how it compares to last gen and to similar 2-in-1’s. Sketching with the new pen looks much smoother and more accurate than the previous. I would like to go in depth with the keyboard and pen sometime. I also wonder how close it is to sending review units out. It’s great now that shipping Spectrum is underway and Eve can focus on the new V, which I know has been in development for some time now. Can’t wait to see more!

5 Likes

Can’t wait to run it in my business! Thats a device exactly for my usecase. 50% on construction sites and 50% in the office. Data always available even on applications who just run on windwos…
The only thing I need to know… Can it run two of the lower spec spectrum???

4 Likes

Hey, @SimulatedScience!

As all the functions are there and we’re doing fine-tuning, V (2021) is on track to be shipped in our estimated Q3 this year. We’ll continue to bring you more behind-the-scenes looks and future progress, as well as the story of some exclusive concepts that we experimented with along the way.

It’s also our hope! That said, unexpected setbacks, together with incredible achievements, are the natural progress of a project. These are clearly visible to our community and customers because our team provides deep insights into each of our crowd-developed projects. Of course, we will do our best to bring your product ideas into reality as always.

Hey, @Techmo!

Do you have any suggestions of the type of content we may demo that fits your interest?

As soon as we are ready to ship to our customers!

Hey, @dibadibadu!

Because the V (2021) supports DisplayPort 1.4 Alternate Mode via both of the ThunderBolt 4 ports, it can drive all current Spectrum models at their maximum resolution and refresh rate.

7 Likes

and two of them at the same time??? aka a three monitor setup?

2 Likes

Looking good, looking forward to receiving my order. Hope is early party of the quarter. Suggestion I like to see egpu support games through the thunderbolt port

2 Likes

Ah! I see what you mean there! I read your initial comment as whether it can drive the two lower-tier Spectrum models. I’ll bring this question to the team and get back to you once we can provide you an appropriate answer!

5 Likes

I am also really excited about the update and the benchmarks.
What I would like to know is how loud the cooling fans are when stress testing.

Edit: and how well the palm rejection is, because in the demo you didn’t put the palm of your hand on the display when you were drawing with the pen (which looks awesome as well!).

3 Likes

Hey @nkpp, In the video the sound is available to “show” the sound of the fan after it had just completed a full load.

I’ll pass your queries onto the team in-regards to palm rejection.

3 Likes

@Lore_Wonder For the keyboard, I’d like to see a closer look at pogo pin connectors, flipping the keyboard around, a look at the keyboard layout, how thin and light it is compared to 1st gen, the usb c charging port, led backlighting, see the size of the track pad compared to 1st gen, and the look & feel of the Alcantara fabric.

For the pen, I’d like to see if the design is different (round or flat on sides), a look at how writing and drawing with Wacom’s AES 2.0 compares to previous tech, and seeing if the pen can be stored on the tablet or keyboard.

A good first look at the V, pen, and keyboard together!

4 Likes

This looks great. How soon can Linux testers get our hands on samples?

3 Likes

It lives! Eve is coming.

4 Likes

Its looking good, have you tried running Windows 11? If yes how does it behave?

1 Like

Your support agents are saying Q3 or Q4.

2 Likes

I know this is a bit off topic but now that the device is almost out, have you guys considered partnering with other companies for developing third-party keyboards? I think a Brydge keyboard would be perfect for a lot of people, since the hinge makes it more like a laptop and it also restores the bluetooth functionality that we lost from the prev gen.
I noticed some other people mentioned wanting it too in other threads. My only concern is that the Eve V2 might be too heavy for a brydge keyboard to counterweight.

4 Likes

Hey, @dibadibadu!

We’ve tested plugging in three ES07D03 Spectrums into a V (2021) prototype, albeit the Spectrums used here are a mix of development samples from different stages.

IMG_8513

We confirm that, at the very least, the latest V prototype can drive three external displays simultaneously in 4K at 30Hz with 8-bit RGB uncompressed, plus maxing out its internal display resolution and refresh rate. In addition, we are looking into more detailed information on the bandwidth and CPU behavior when more than one external monitor is connected.

10 Likes

sorry but… it is silly to use a all dark background so one can hardly see the device itself, only the screen. Are there videos where you can see the device?

Wow… I could actually do some general 3D modelling on this one! I’m excited to finally upgrade! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3 monitors!? Is that a feature of Windows 11. I only ask cause I thought Windows 10 had a limit of 2 external monitors

1 Like