Project: V FAQ

Are you able to provide even a rough estimation of launch date? This year, first half of next year, end of 2021? It’s important as the launch of USB4 (2020 Q4) is going to lead to a lot of people replacing their laptop/tablet.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing out the significant impact of USB4 launch. When it is the time for us to reveal the launch date, there will probably be a dedicated topic explaining all the details about it.

1 Like

have you tought to use HBM2E for CPU memory instead of LPDDR4/5? this kind of memory cost more than traditional DRAM but in few years price per die decrase

2 Likes

We appreciate your advice regarding the RAM type selection. We have not locked down the RAM specs yet and will take HBM2E into account.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record if this has been asked before but my computer is getting up there in years and I’ll be needing a new one. Is there a release timeframe for the new V?

2 Likes

Hi, @Konner_Moshier!

We welcome your questions.

We are still early in the development cycle. As more specs are getting locked down and the design concept finalizes, we will announce the new V’s release at an appropriate time.

1 Like

Any idea what colour space the new v will cover? P3? Rec 2020? I ask this because I’m a filmmaker, and I love my V. Would love for it to be powerful enough for editing 4k video, and considering the first v had such great colour, would love to make this work with the new device. Also, god damn, it’s great for modelling 3d assets too.

1 Like

We don’t know yet. Lots of specs are specific to certain components and those haven’t been locked down yet as they are depended on other components which haven’t been locked down yet.

A better way to help us pick and choose is to tell us what you want. In your example, what color space(s) and other display specs would be ideal and what would be minimal requirement for you?

4 Likes

Hey! Well, I think at least 100% sRGB and Adobe RGB would be great, it would also be very very helpful for photographers. I think this might become a great market to aim at now that you’ll have a built in full sized SD card reader. Hell, probably people will use the new V to tether to their cameras on shoots so their clients can see pictures on the screen in real time. So 100% sRGB and Adobe RGB I think is a must, but I am pretty sure your igzo screen on the first v handled that easily.

For video, the new biggie standard that everyone wants is dci-p3 colour and true ten bit colour, not the 8bit+FRC. That would blow people in my profession away colour wise. But obviously this is all subject to cost. HDR 600 would also be excellent. It’s difficult to know when the new V will come out, and what panels with what color spaces are available, but yeah, the most dci-p3 you can handle.

2 Likes

A question is important to be asked. Sorry if it was already.
Will the new keyboard works properly without the Ribbon’s cable problem?
I mean, will it work more than 6 months at least without to break?
Thanks

1 Like

1st Gen V’s Ribbon cable issue is on our watching list of improvements, and we strive to make the new V’s keyboard the best we can within our timeline and budgets. You can read more about it in the following quote.

4 Likes

will there be a very rough period / quarter of year when the new V can be shipped?

2 Likes

As you can see, the new V’s design has yet to be finalized, and finding suppliers for all components and determining logistics also take time. We expect the shipping estimation becomes available at a later stage of the project.

1 Like

I have been searching around the community and can’t seem to find anything from Eve (though many things from members) on 2 key issues for me:

1. Glass replacement
  2. Battery replacement

As some know I dropped my original V1 at 3" over smooth cement tilted at about 15 degrees and it cracked the glass so bad that I couldn’t access the V by keyboard or pen losing stuff on it that hadn’t gone through its regular backup yet.

So I bought the half-priced V1 out of remaining stock though Covid kept it from getting to me for 5 months. Battery so-so around 5 hours computing but those were old and so I though no biggie cause it was half-priced and it worked when plugged into the wall outlet. But a couple days ago I noticed after being all day on the charger while I was out of town, it had not charged at all, then barely able to get to lock screen which stated “no battery present”. That was a shock! Nothing has ever happened to it so I at a loss so I sent a note to tech support and we’ll see what they say.
But my reason for all this worldliness is that one thing can happen and all your money goes down the drain and I haven’t seen any answers yet (in my forum searches) on what the plans are for the V ver2 and the issue of glass and battery replacement. Does anyone know anything yet? I cannot buy another V until this is answered as 1 accident and 1 unknown something has occurred while I have spent about $2,500 in the last 2 years. I have 2 17" HP laptops that I bought in 1997 that still run, though they won’t support windows 10!
I really love my V’s but I need to have them repairable, at least battery and display or it just cost me more money than I can afford. My wife is just about to hit me with baseball bat because of the battery issue on my 2nd V1! So, if anyone has any info or if Eve has just not made a decision on these points yet, please post. I have times where my seizures bother me so I am not always able to be on the forum here. Thanks.

We will have a new V specific warranty at a later stage of the project; meanwhile, our support team is always willing to provide an appropriate solution to our customers’ existing Eve devices, no matter how long they have been bought. We suggest you contact them if you would like to replace the glass & battery of your 1st-Gen V.

2 Likes

Hey sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but I have had the following questions for a while now:

• Will the keyboard be bundled with the V? I’m planning on buying a wireless HHKB to carry with me, as I’m quite used to the layout, so I wouldn’t really need the detachable keyboard. Maybe you could take the Spectrum’s approach and sell the pen and keyboard separately.
  • What’s the target price? I know this is a high end device and a the price tag will reflect this, but I’m looking for something that could compete with the iPad Pro at around the $1,000 mark. This leads to the following question:
  • How customizable would it be? e.g. RAM from 8gb to 32gb, CPU from i3 to i7, storage from 256gb to 2tb. Was this discussed already?
  • Have you considered enabling the V to work as an external display?
  • What’s the refresh rate of the panel? The added smoothness of 120hz would be a great plus over many competitors.
  • How many m.2 slots? 2 would be ideal for a raid configuration.
  • LTE capabilities? Is 5G an option? I feel like it’s too early to go for 5G and it would drive the cost up.
  • What’s the cooling solution? A vapor chamber with a single fan with passive mode and full RPM control would do wonders.
  • What accessories are being considered? keyboard, pen, possibly an eGPU and what else? A carrying case, backpack, a sleeve, a magnetic stand, and wireless headphones or earbuds come to mind.
  • Did we reach a consensus regarding the inclusion of USB A ports? I’d prefer only type-C ports as the A ports add needless bulk.
  • What’s the ETA?

Thanks in advance for your time. I’m eager to see how this project turns out.

1 Like

Hi, @Juan_Carlos_Orozco_L! Welcome to our community, and thank you for your questions.

It is the most likely that the keyboard will be sold together with the V; in our view, the V is a true 2-in-1 when its keyboard accompanies it; we disagree with the Surface devices’ approach of making the keyboard a separate accessory. We separated the stand for Spectrum because, based on our community survey, 46.6% of users put the bundled monitor stand away (and use a VESA mount) when they purchase a new monitor. We decided to separate the stand to make the roughly half users who do not need one save on investing in the stand.

It will be decided and revealed at a later stage of the project. We have yet to finish the new V’s design, find suitable suppliers for all its parts, and evaluate the cost.

It is also to be determined; we have discussed RAM, CPU, and storage before. According to our community poll, the majority of our members agree that RAM below 16GB is not sufficient for an entry-level device, and most members agree that either 16GB or 32GB makes sense in a 2-in-1 device. We will be using Intel Tiger Lake processor with Xe graphics. We are interested in i5 and i7 options because, according to comments, many members suggested that we make no i3 options for fewer SKUs and cost-saving. For storage, most members’ use cases require either 512GB, 1TB, or 256GB of storage, and 256GB suits the entry-level needs.

We will check if the new V supports Miracast to enable Projecting to this PC feature.

It should be detailed in the next Project: V FAQ.

The new V is most likely to have a single, non-user-serviceable M.2 PCIe SSD because members are split between the three available storage options: a soldered PCIe, a user-replaceable M.2 SATA SSD, and a trapped M.2 PCIe SSD; a trapped M.2 PCIe SSD is preferred by our manufacturer.

We would like to offer LTE support because more than half of our members voted for either LTE is nice-to-have or must-have. More details will be revealed in the next V FAQ.

Because the Tiger Lake processors that we will use require active cooling, the new V will have a fan inside. We aim to offer a fan stop mode and carefully tune the fan curve. The cooling system is under development; we will provide more detail down the line.

We will discuss accessories for the new V after the big design reveal and the follow-up FAQ.

Yes, we did. To our surprise, the majority of our members prefer slimmer side bezels over the presence of Type-A ports – members’ view of Type-A’s necessity has certainly changed from the time of the 1st-Gen V. We got rid of all Type-A ports as a result.

As you can probably tell at this point, it is yet to be determined.

We hope our reply helps to answer your questions!

3 Likes

@Lore_Wonder is that a tease? :open_mouth:

1 Like

You caught it! :ok_hand: Yes, we will list more detailed specs in the next V FAQ.

3 Likes

does it makes sense to wait for this godlike device or should I buy another one now (according to the expectable release date)? Also do you plan to reduce prices for students? 16Gb sounds a bit overpowered for entry level devices because I think entry level devices just are being use for watching netflix, doing some researches and mostly using word, one note, … May a bit gaming. Will the 2-in-1 keep up a day, 12 hours?

1 Like