Project: V | EVT Development Sample Inspection

vuclb

Beloved community,

Earlier our Community Editor Nick (@Techmo) reported our hands-on impression of a new V EVT prototype. Now that our team has completed reviewing the development sample, here I bring you a handful of meaningful discoveries behind the scene.

Speaker tuning

We carefully tuned the speaker via Realtek Audio Console to provide a reference point for our engineering team to improve the default music listening experience. Clearer tune separation was achieved with a few up and down tweaks to the equalizer. We recorded a before/after comparison video using a microphone plugged into the prototype; have a listen yourself and see if you can tell the difference!

Moving forward, our engineers will focus on optimizing the sound balance and sound stage based on our recommendation.

Flexible power

Modifying the power level at which the prototype’s CPU runs is as simple as entering two sets of numbers in its basic input-output system (BIOS).

P1001707
Power Limit 2 sets the initial boosting power limit for a period controlled by Power Limit 1 Time Window and thermal threshold; Power Limit 1 determines the long-term power limit.

Combined with adjustments to the firmware, these settings will allow us to provide great presets, such as complete silence and maximum performance. We will preserve as many options in the BIOS for advanced users as possible to allow them to dial in their ideal settings to best match their use case.

Fan adjustment

The prototype comes equipped with a two-point linear fan profile that allows adjustment to its start- and endpoints.

P1001708
Temperature and fan speed percentage can be entered to define a point on the fan profile.

We will explore the possibility of implementing a fan curve control in the BIOS and optimize fan profile based on noise level measurement of fan speed in 10% installments.

This has been the first phase of optimizing the speakers, power levels, and fan curve of the new V; besides, we are looking into improving details such as the color matching and gap tolerances around the entire housing. More testing will be conducted as development continues to the next stage, design validation testing (DVT). So stay tuned, and talk to you in the comments!

nlbanner

15 Likes

Thanks for the update. Coming along.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. I hope you focus on the display. At least 100hz and no blue light for the eyes.
We are waiting for the next update.

5 Likes

Thanks much for the update. Can’t wait to get my hands on this new V! Are we still roughly looking around an October-November finish date for these?

1 Like

Hey, @jsrail! I haven’t seen you around lately, so welcome back! :grin: Currently, our best estimate of the start of shipping is still Q3 this year.

2 Likes

Can you be more specific? 1st July or 30th September?

1 Like

I’m curious about that too. Trying to decide whether I wanna preorder this or get a bundled Surface pro 7. Both are looking to be around the same price rn

what about Windows 11… :thinking:

3 Likes

Users of the new V should be able to migrate to Windows 11 when it comes out. :grin:

3 Likes