Project: V | Build Your Own V

Hi community,

Everyone uses their computer differently, even when people use them for the same thing. So it stands to reason that the ideal computer is different for everyone. Time to explore the world of stock-keeping units and how you can influence which ones we’ll carry!

What are SKUs?

In inventory management, stock keeping units (SKUs, pronounced ‘es-kay-yoos’ or ‘skyoos’) are distinct items for sale. That can mean completely different items (for example, an HDMI cable and a power adapter) or variants of the same item (Spectrum Model 2 and Spectrum Model 3). Keeping track of these is important when planning transport, fulfilling orders, or managing warehouse space.

Especially that last one, storage space, can make managing large numbers of SKUs an expensive business. After all, you wouldn’t want to ship the wrong product by accident because different items are piled up together, and keeping things tidily separated requires more shelf space.

Increasing the number of SKUs by having more variants of a product also adds complexity to the assembly line. The more different versions of something need to be made, the more attention needs to be paid to which components are added (or not added!) along the way. And of course, someone needs to plan and keep track of all of it to make sure the product is assembled correctly, and the completed product ends up in the right box or on the right shelf.

All of that makes it important to keep the number of SKUs as low as possible, especially for a small company like Eve. But in the introduction we mentioned how everyone’s use case is different, and ideally we’d give everyone the V that perfectly suits their needs. Ultimately we end up somewhere in the middle, offering a small number of different models that closely fit our end users.

That makes for a challenge, though. If we build all the possible combinations in the survey below, we’d end up with 128 different types of V. But let’s see if we can bring that number down significantly based on your input!

Informed decisions

To make informed decisions, we understand that you need to know what the trade-offs are. In this case, that trade-off is the price: a faster CPU or a bigger storage drive costs more money. We have tried to give realistic price indications based on our partners’ and suppliers’ information, but it is important to note that these are rough indications at best. There can and will likely be differences in the final product pricing.

Build your own V!

In each category, pick the option that best resembles your ideal V, so we can get a good idea of the combinations of hard- and software that our fans are looking for!

Choose your CPU

The central processing unit (CPU) determines the overall performance of your device. A faster CPU can get tasks done quicker. In the V the CPU model also determines overall graphics performance, as the graphics processing unit (GPU) is built into the same silicon. This means it also has a big effect on photo- and video editing as well as games. We won’t be able to run benchmarks for exact comparisons until we have advanced prototypes, but listed below are rough indications of the performance gain of the i7 model over the i5 model. We’ve covered our Intel Tiger Lake CPUs in this topic.

• Core i5
    Default performance
  • Core i7
    I’m willing to pay around $200 more for
    Up to about 16% faster in generic tasks
    Up to about 18% shorter photo- and video render times
    Up to about 20% higher frame rates in games

0 voters

Choose your memory

Random-access memory (RAM) determines how much your computer can do at once. We’ve covered it in-depth in this topic, and even included a helpful video!

• 16GB
    Default memory capacity
  • 32GB
    I’m willing to pay around $150 more for
    Double the memory capacity

0 voters

Choose your storage

The V uses solid-state drives (SSD) to store your files and programs. The capacity determines how much stuff you can keep on your V before it runs out of room. We’ve talked more about choosing the right capacity in this topic.

• 256GB
    Default storage
  • 512GB
    I’m willing to pay around $100 more
    (compared to 256GB) for
    Double the storage capacity
  • 1TB
    I’m willing to pay around $200 more
    ($300 compared to 256GB) for
    Double again the storage capacity
  • 2TB
    I’m willing to pay around $400 more
    ($700 compared to 256GB) for
    Double yet again the storage capacity

0 voters

Choose your display

The display is the most eye-catching feature of our V. Every V offers amazing colors and a great pen and touch experience. But we now offer two options, with our 4K Ultra-HD panel offering double the resolution for sharper images and crisper text. We’ve introduced our displays in this topic.

• 1920x1200 'Full-HD+'
    Default display
  • 3840x2400 '4K Ultra-HD+'
    I’m willing to pay around $50 more for
    4x the sharpness and detail

0 voters

Choose your wireless connectivity

LTE lets you connect to the internet even when there is no WiFi available. This allows you to connect your V to the world, no matter where you are. Of course this will require a SIM card from a mobile carrier, with the associated cellular data fees. And if you were so engaged with the mobile internet that you didn’t see where you were going and got lost, satellite-based navigation lets you find your way again by telling you exactly where on earth you are.

• WiFi 6 & Bluetooth 5.0
    Default wireless connectivity
  • WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, LTE & GPS
    I’m willing to pay around $200 more for
    Cellular connectivity over 4G LTE
    Compatibility with GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou, QZSS

0 voters

Choose your operating system

An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware, software, resources, and provides common services for computer programs. The V is built for the most commonly used OS – Microsoft’s Windows 10. But some users may require additional features that are only available in its more business-oriented Pro variant. You can learn more about the exact differences on Microsoft’s website.

• Windows 10
    Default operating system
  • Windows 10 Pro
    I’m willing to pay around $50 more for
    BitLocker, Microsoft Update for Business, Remote Desktop, Assigned Access, and other features

0 voters

Share your thoughts

We’ve got some great V news coming up in the weeks ahead, so keep an eye out for more updates. And don’t forget to leave a comment below. What drove your choices in today’s survey? What V features are you most excited about? Let us know!

nlbanner

24 Likes

Engine capacity cannot be displaced by anything than engine capacity …

8 Likes

When the original V was being designed I was disappointed there would be no GPS. However, having had my V since the i7, 1TB version became available, I realise now that I would only ever have used it occasionally and would almost never have actually needed it.

A fast processor, lots of memory and a big SSD are, however, essential. Even if not all the time.

17 Likes

@brightonBreezy rather than GPS I always thought of LTE capability to be sweet (as I tend to move around a lot). Given how often I would actually have needed it in the past three years, $200 sounds a bit too much for me though.

A similar thought applies to the CPU. While I would want an i7 CPU, $200 for the upgrade from i5 seems a bit steep (depending on the specific models).

Alltogether, there’s two things making answering this poll rather difficult:

• Information: Not knowing the estimated price for a base model (which the “around xxx more” prices can be compared to), I cannot decide which upgrade I would take or not in order to hit a personal target price. Hence, results might not actually represent the most desired SKUs in the end.
  • No middle ground: While some features may be desired, the estimated surcharge may be percieved too steep (to some extent, this goes back to a personal target price again). It might be interesting to also offer a “wanna have if significantly cheaper than the estimation” option. That information might be particularly valuable when trying to reduce the number of SKUs (remember first Gen V :wink:).
15 Likes

A Linux version will be fun!

48 Likes

Yes. Or at least, I’d love to see an option to have the V without any operating system so I can install my own.

36 Likes

Why not AMD for the CPU?

51 Likes

I would have liked to have manjaro Linux on my device. But that’s the only change I would make.

10 Likes

Please consider high screen refresh rate and stylus pressure sensitivity.

22 Likes

Hope this is good sign that things are moving.

2 Likes

Is not here but am willing to spend $200+ more for a 1080p@120hz screen. Not going to buy anything 60hz anymore.

@AdnanK Would like AMD too but think you would lose Thunderbolt.

11 Likes

In short, no suitable AMD options were available to our project when we had to settle down on a CPU choice to advance the new V’s design. You can read more about its reason in the linked topic.

We have locked down the new V’s panel choices at this point in the project. No high-refresh options were available to us.

The new V Pen will use Wacom’s Active Electrostatic (AES) 2.0 technology, which provides 4096 pressure sensitivity levels.

No compatible modules are available to us to enable 5G support.

The new V’s memory will be soldered due to space and structural limits.

7 Likes

Appreciating that tethering usually slower than LTE plus the increasing ubiquity of wifi I don’t think it is worth the premium

2 Likes

I would prefer a 1440p display with a 120hz display but that’s not on the list of options. In this day and age 60hz is old news.

10 Likes

A 4K display on a screen this small (13.4") doesn’t make much sense. Further, it would be more taxing on the (already performance-limited by way of thermals and power) CPU/GPU, and have knock-on effects on battery life.

As I write this, it’s 70/30 in favor of 4K, but if anything, being stuck with 4K and not having the option to not have it is a huge deal-breaking problem for me because of these tradeoffs. If you’re going to have multiple SKUs, this would be a great place for an option. As with any mobile device, flexibility and longevity are more important than raw power.

26 Likes

This and it’s also a massive unnecessary drain on battery life. No thanks.

14 Likes

I get that the 256GB would be cheaper but I don’t think it should even be an option. My boot SSD on my pc has windows 10 pro and some of the other softwares I use and its already taken 130GB and assuming I keep my other files on other drives I don’t think 256GB is enough for anyone, especially if you want to play any games on it. 512 should be just about enough for most people so I think the base model should come with that

8 Likes

I am really surprised to not be seeing any AMD Ryzen options here. It offers way more performance and better thermals than Intel does. Would love an Eve with Ryzen

5 Likes

It’s probably way too late in the design cycle for that. Ryzen only started properly kicking Intel’s ass relatively recently. Also, I think Intel’s IGPUs are a bit better right now, though I could be misremembering.

1 Like

I would also like to see a smaller version, kind of like the surface GO.

1 Like