Project: Spectrum | Warranty Open Questions

I looked it up myself, you make a declaration in order to waive the VAT: Using outward processing to process or repair your goods - GOV.UK

You do not have to pay duty on goods that have been repaired or replaced free of charge under a guarantee. You must show us this guarantee.

It’d be good if Eve were able to do most of the paperwork here for us though (assuming they don’t just set up a fulfillment center in the UK). Presumably this is how most other established companies handle claims on their guarantees that get sent out of country.

3 Likes

That’s for business, not for private individuals.

2 Likes

It was broken down £80.42 VAT, £48.58 duty and a £12 fee to Fedex for paying it for me. They said VAT would apply on the item value but I may be able to get the duty back from HMRC. To sort it out for me they wanted another £53 so would have been more than the duty.

I’d have preferred it if the company at least gave me the option to pay it up front, but they chose to let it be a surprise instead and not declare it as a warranty replacement.

This was based on a declared value of $499 by the way, so the 4K Spectrum fees would be higher if they had to import a warranty replacement. Hopefully they can replace via local warehouses instead to get around it.

2 Likes

Jesus, that’s outrageous. Hard luck there.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the company that will fulfill these orders are based in China, and that they are not bound by US or EU consumer law.

3 Likes

No. By definition if a company is selling a product to person in a particular area, they must comply with all local laws.

6 Likes

It will be excellent if Eve does this for the spectrum.

1 Like

It may not have been technically covered in their terms, but they covered it nevertheless.

1 Like

Besides the initial warranty, I would love to see an option to add on something like what Best Buy offers with their geek squad for an additional price.

2 Likes

If the product was purchased from a European store, the following rights should be respected:

Under EU rules, a trader must repair, replace, reduce the price or give you a refund if goods you bought turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised.

Guarantees for faulty goods

Free of charge, 2-year guarantee for all goods.

You always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right, however national rules in your country may give you extra protection.If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund.

No matter how much you pay for product quality or an extended warranty, they cost nothing if warranty service and customer support are not offered in return. :frowning:

8 Likes

Good idea. The monitors that tend to “stick around” on my desktop are the ones I know I can repair after the warranty period is over. It just makes it feel more “mine”. And they’re also the ones I recommend to other people…

4 Likes