Project: Spectrum | The Assembly

Spectrum! Assemble

Hi there community!

This topic is another follow-up to the topic I shared last week about ES07DC9’s 1st mass production run. This time, I would like to share how a fusion of different parts can form one beautiful piece of hardware.

To do this, I will be covering the process step-by-step. There were a few points that were not mentioned in the previous topic, so I will add them here. Think of this as a journey we like you to indulge in by learning about how the assembly goes for ES07DC9, from start to finish!

Let’s begin…

Assembling the unit

We start with the star of it all, our glossy panel, already fitted with its casing and circuitry. This whole set is what we call a liquid crystal module (LCM). This is the first part that goes into the assembly line.

Glossy panel unboxing
Glossy LCM unboxing.

Then, we have prepared the metal boxes that house ES07DC9’s mainboard. The mainboard has been pre-fitted in the box as part of a separate assembly process, meaning that we will no longer assemble the mainboard as part of the mass production. This was done for the sake of efficiency.

Metal box
ES07DC9 metal boxes on standby. The chassis is placed upside-down, exposing the ports.

The metal box comes next to join the assembly line. It is placed to the left of the LCM it will be paired with, then its serial number is scanned to identify and record the pairing. The purpose of identification is to help us track the complete history of the units as a whole in case we encounter issues or bugs. We can track the production batch and its base firmware for troubleshooting with the serial number.

This pairing will stay during the entire mass production and after it becomes a final product. Talking about commitment!

Scan LCM and metal box

Mainboard barcode scanner
Each metal box is paired with its LCM to the left. Here, the barcode on the mainboard is scanned as part of the recording process.

Even though they are placed side-by-side at this stage, the actual physical pairing between the box and LCM will not happen yet, as we will start with assembling other parts first. Namely, the LCM and the middle frame:

Middle frame

Middle frame attachment
Preparing and attaching the middle frame to the LCM.

Then, we attach the wirings to the assembled unit. These wirings are responsible for connecting the panel with the mainboard. A precisely cut insulated rubber tape is used to secure the wires.

Tape dispenser

Taping the wires
Tape dispenser used to cut the tapes into size, then applied carefully to fix the position of the wires.

Then, we attach the metal box with the LCM.

Metal box

Metal box wire installation
Wires connecting LCM and mainboard are plugged in, then carefully fixed inside so as to not interfere with the frame, which will be installed later on.

Finally, we prepare the back frame. The back frame is fitted with a small board responsible for joystick input on the back of the monitor and the power button. This small board comes with a thin connector wire which connects to the mainboard. It is also the final wire to be connected before finally closing the body with the back frame!

Back frame preparation

Back frame installation

Screw-in
Small board is attached to the back frame, and the wiring is connected to the mainboard. Once the back frame is installed, screws are put in place to secure the back frame with the rest of the body.

Once the back panel is well secured, a sticker with the unit’s serial number is applied to the back of the unit.

Apply sticker on the back
Sticker application. The part is cleaned, then the sticker is put carefully onto the back frame.

As the last part of the assembly, the monitors are plugged in to run a preliminary video input test to see if it can display video input. If not, it will be taken out of the line and handled separately. To be reassembled if necessary.

Preliminary video test
Preliminary video test to check the monitor’s basic function before entering the next testing phase.

Screen calibration and testing

After the assembly, the monitors are transported to the burn-in room, where they will undergo a burn-in test, followed by a trip to the dark room to individually calibrate their screens (Delta E & white point calibration).

Transport to the burn-in room
ES07DC9s are taken to the burn-in room.

Delta E calibration
ES07DC9s under Delta E calibration in the dark room.

Final touches

Once they are done with their treatment in the dark room, the monitors are then transported back outside for packing! But before going into the box, the units are thoroughly cleaned with pure water to get rid of any dust and grimes. We use pure water instead of alcohol to ensure that the monitors arrive in the best condition possible.

Thorough water cleaning

After cleaning, each unit is packed carefully and protected in a sleeve before being securely placed inside the packaging.

Putting monitor into sleeve
Putting the assembled monitor into a non-woven fabric sleeve to avoid scratches during transport.

Label sticker on box
Carton label put neatly to the side of the box.

Road test

As mentioned a couple of times before, as part of the first mass production run, we did a road test for the ES07DC9 units produced during this 1st mass production run. This checks the device’s integrity when subjected to typical shipping conditions. We have put together a video for you to watch and hopefully it can give you a general idea of how we prepare for the road test.

Closing thoughts

That concludes the update for this week! We hope you guys are as excited as we are and get some knowledge of how the production goes for ES07DC9. For the next topic, we will talk about quality control (QC) for the units post-road test. If we receive a positive outcome on the QC, then we will proceed soon with the next, even bigger mass production. We will let you guys know once we have more news on this.

Sidenote: topics moving forward

With the possibility for one of our team members, Grant (@Lore_Wonder) to visit the factory, we had the luxury of getting as many images and videos as we could for this topic. For this mass production run, we ended up with over 900 images and over 23 gigabytes worth of videos!

For this topic, we have put a lot of images to guide you from start to finish. We have also put a few GIFs in here (which has not been done in a long while) to provide a more interactive way to explain how things happen! However, with so many details to show, we ended up in a dilemma, as we were unsure if having so many images on a topic was attractive for our readers or in other words, should we go for the “less is more” approach.

Therefore, we would like to hear directly from you, our readers, to give us a general idea of how we should continue regarding our visuals (i.e., images and videos), in case we have plenty to show to our readers. Should we go all-in with the images? or is it better to set a certain limit?

Feel free to fill in the polls below, and of course, feel free to drop a comment as well. Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Fun facts

• We have a total of 21 visuals on this topic (16 still images, 4 GIFs, and 1 video). We could’ve cut it down to about half the amount of visuals by removing multiple images in each action.
  • The GIFs were made from 5.8K resolution video footage! We had to reduce it to sub 350x260 due to file size restrictions. This is where we had to make sacrifices: we think GIFs are an excellent way to engage readers, but it lacks details and visual quality due to extreme downsampling. On the other hand, using only images provide great detail but may be less interactive. To get the best of both worlds, we try to use GIF accompanied by a still image wherever possible.
Use of visuals per action point
  • More is better! (having more than one visual per action point)
  • Less is more! (just one visual per action point is enough)
  • I like text more than visuals!

0 voters

GIFs in the topic
  • More GIFs please!
  • I prefer static images over GIFs

0 voters

nlbanner
websitediscordtwitterfacebookinstagramyoutube

8 Likes

Hi @Cas. Many thanks for the informative update. One quick question. From your previous message, that’s very fair that you won’t be shipping the glossy model (ES07DC9) until the backlog of matte model (ES07D03) orders have been shipped. Though, given the backlog seems to be 4-6 months at the moment, the glossy buyers may have a little bit of a wait.

Will you also be ensuring that those that ordered the glossy model receive it before the reviewers do? I would imagine that those that backed ES07DC9/ES07DC1 a while ago would be somewhat upset if they are left waiting for their shipments while reviewers (and others that haven’t paid for them) receive their ES07DC9 units very quickly.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Indeed exciting, with all the materials you mention, it sounds like material to do a documentary on how the best monitor in the world is made! haha :smiley: can’t wait for it!

3 Likes

So since this seems almost ready to start shipping, what’s the current timeline on getting them out?

1 Like

Maybe I missed it, but where does this leave the 2k models? It’s getting exhausting to hunt for updates for the model I backed nearly 2 years ago, and still not have it while the 4K seems to be getting almost all the love.

3 Likes

Yes what about the glossy 1440p,. 240Hz models??? When are they going to be available?

Thank you for this detailed update with photos and videos. Seems like it’s all on track to ship in June and have last mile delivery in July (hopefully right). Can’t wait to see it on my desk :slight_smile:

Hope all the outstanding matte orders are sorted out too, including the refunds

2 Likes

So if these are all “pre-loaded” with firmware 107 - why haven’t we received it yet?

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Review units are meant to be sent out before the units are made available to the public so they can have their reviews ready by the time units are available. It is a common practice in tech.

I completely agree with you, though!

Currently, we are still looking at the end of the month. I can tell you that the next mass production hasn’t happened yet, but it might change in a few days.

It is currently still in development, with the latest update being the most recent news for it. We will publish another update once we have made a progress on it.

Estimated shipping is still in Q3 2022.

Because even though they are based on the same firmware, there are two versions of firmware, each for different models, and each needs its own separate testing. There were minor issues during testing which causes the firmware update for ES07D03 to be slightly delayed, but it should be ready soon.

Just FYI, ES07DC9’s firmware will be called version 100 as default, even though it is based off version 107 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sheeeshh @cas always got the juicy updates! :fire: GIFs for sure!

5 Likes

Ah I figured these were the first 1000 units. I figured I’m part of the first 1k, ordered like when it opened lol.

1 Like

Bless the Eve company for creating the world’s first 4K 144HZ Glossy Monitor and a mass produced one at that I just wish I could buy your monitor on Amazon.
I still think I am dreaming that this is even a possibility I will be getting one for sure as this will be the perfect monitor for emulating CRT royale shader (It’s a special advanced complex shader for retro emulators that emulates every aspect of a CRT TV and it requires 4K resolution on a small as possible display for a higher PPI and it also requires a Glossy Display at that with as deep contrast as possible)
Other things I will be doing with this monitor is Valorant, CS GO, and lots of programming and reading thanks to the beautiful glossy display it will have 0 and I mean ZERO nasty haze and grain caused my yucky Matte displays. Plus far superior color contrast etc
Finally PC users have a proper glossy display I was so close on buying a Apple imac just to ghet a glossy display thank god I waited.

3 Likes

@Aethel Can you please give us an updated on shipping for current matte orders? It’s awfully silent in the Shipping thread when it comes to Eve community managers. I know my specific need isn’t going to make much of a dent, but I need to be able to line up a monitor by end of June (which is the end of Australia’s taxation year) for the company. If I’m not going to receive it by end of June, I need to know so I can initiate a refund and buy an LG (which is now in stock in Australia). The ‘any day now’ line has been the same line for the last 8 weeks plus.

Hey @WesMantooth and everyone else for that matter,

As I personally can not give you an exact ETA on when you will get your monitor; this month is still the plan and orders started moving at the beginning of this month and express orders are to be picked up by courier! If you would like you can DM me your ticket & order ID and I can have support to reach out to you with a tracking update!

2 Likes

@Aethel I thought that, under the new logistics approach that Eve have implemented, there were no longer express orders, which is why you can’t select express shipping when you order. I could be wrong.

Hey @Phil

Yes, I was speaking of existing matte orders that had been placed in the past with express. You are correct though for orders that are placed moving forward.

2 Likes

So express shipping will still be honored for those who had no choice but to select it back in January for their matte orders? Even the orders that then upgraded to gloss?

Great update! Love seeing the 4K Glossy Spectrums being assembled! Looks like everything is going very smoothly. Hopefully the shipping of the monitors and computers won’t be held up by any more delays. Can’t wait to have a Glossy Spectrum on my desk!

4 Likes

Yup! As far as I know express orders will still be honored and you will likely still get priority. I’ll check with someone who should know for certain and update my answer if my understanding is incorrect.

Best,
Steven

I won’t mind an hour long video. This is very interesting.

2 Likes