Project: Spectrum | Status Update

better take a bit more time to deliver the most perfect product then keeping the deadline and deliver a buggy one - hardware can’t be fixed after customer got it, only software can.

7 Likes

Moreover, it provides a unique viewing point of Spectrum through the eyes of 3rd-party reviewers. We have done our ‘review’ of samples, or inspection to be precise, intending to identify problems to improve Spectrum.

The Spectrum promo states that it is best (for its price) monitor for gaming and content creation. I need to ask you to pay attention to the content creation area also (I mean text, photo, art, CAD, etc). It seems there is to much attention to gaming and it worries me that content creation features and qualities will be sacrificed in favor of gaming.

1 Like

I also miss one important content creation feature on spectrum, which is Adobe RGB, and more different color spaces.

1 Like

I also miss one important content creation feature on spectrum, which is Adobe RGB

I doubt that it’s possible to expand color space at this stage, but I think it’s important to have an option to store color profile in the monitor h/w that should have enough electronics resolution to not loss color bits during various conversion on a way of a signal. It should have good s/w support for the h/w calibration process. I think it’s not important to have many precise factory calibrated preset color profiles because every content creator will (and should) recalibrate his monitor from time to time.

2 Likes

I agree with you! The panel itself determines Spectrum’s 98% DCI-P3 coverage target.

Spectrum will be able to store a color calibration profile; the exact formats supported are being explored.

Could you please explain its meaning to me?

Do you mean user calibration? Does its software require a monitor to support it? I have a SpyderX; except brightness adjustments and a few other OSD tweaks to switch on user-defined settings, it does not appear to require software support from the monitor.

Are there any other content creation features except the color space and profile storage mentioned that are vital in your opinion?

3 Likes

If we have a 8-10 bit input signal and we apply some math to it inside a monitor it’s important to have enough intermediate resolution to not lose fine signal details, to not clip or saturate it. E.g. if we have a 10 bit input signal then it will not have any sense if we have only 8 bit math inside a monitor, even if we have a 10 bit path inside a monitor it will work ok only if we don’t apply any math to the signal (e.g. gamma, brightness/contrast, color profile conversions, etc), otherwise we will lost some details during calculations. So there should be some reserve.
Some advanced monitors use 12-14 bit internal color engine.
Please look here for some further details:

Yep, I mean a software and hardware support for user calibration.

It seems that your monitor doesn’t support storing calibration results inside it, all math in this case is done on a software side (OS and/or special software that handles color profile). It’s the simplest way of least quality.
AFAIK, all monitors that support storing calibration results (and have an advanced color engine to do math) require special software support.
E.g., I have an Eizo CX241 monitor and to fully utilize its abilities it requires a special software (Eizo ColorNavigator) for user calibration.

I’m not sure that we are talking about the same thing when mentioning color profile storage.
I expect that stored color profile will be used by a monitor color engine to do math to correct input signal before displaying it, isn’t it? So, it makes possible to calibrate a monitor to, e.g., sRGB profile, store calibration results inside the monitor and then don’t bother about some special color profile on a software side, all input signals will be treated and displayed by the monitor as sRGB, it gives more room to express useful signal data through the 8-10 bit/channel of an interface, it gives more precision, it allows to have more or less correct colors when software doesn’t support color management.
Except color spaces and precise math for smooth color ramps, it’s important to have a good screen uniformity for color and brightness (and/or a user controllable uniformity compensation mechanism), a good color stability over warmup period. For text and CAD it’s important to not have too grainy screen texture (I hope we completely left it in the past).
I don’t ask for hi-end professional features (like PiP or integrated color sensor), but I think that precise color work is the must for a good monitor if it targets content creation.

I will be glad if more people will express their expectations and requirements to the monitor in application to the content creation.

4 Likes

Hi there, it has been a few weeks since I posted this

…and are there any updates for this? I guess it is firmware stuff so hope it works when it gets released.

2 Likes

A test of how Spectrum works with a Mac by plugging it into a Mac will be conducted with more mature firmware, which will take some time to come out.

3 Likes

I agree - the matte paint looks much better. When you run your fingers on the surface, how is the feel of it?

I know most people won’t care much about this but it’s always great to have a product that feels great when holding/carrying the monitor :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

So a small follow up on that, so the QHD @ 240hz model will also support DSC? So theoretically you can get 10 bit color over display port 1.2 @ 240hz? Would it support DSC through the usb c connection (display alt mode) and allow some of the bandwidth to be used on the usb ports on the monitor?

2 Likes

@Lore_Wonder Hi, I’m really not a tech head when it comes to monitors but I would like to ask will the 4k 144hz monitor be able to run the PS5 in 4k 120hz ? I know these will include HDMI 2.1 but I want to make sure I get the best monitor possible for my PS5.

2 Likes

Yes the model 3 will be perfect for the PS5 since it accepts HDMI 2.1.

3 Likes

How can we expect the USB C Port to work? I imagine my MacBook or any other Laptop with USB C powering the 4k 144 Hz Spectrum. I would like to connect an ethernet adapter, a Logitech Unify dongle, an external SSD and my speakers with the 3,5 mm jack.
All whilst being powered through the monitor and the single USB C cable.

I am a bit confused since the spec says the monitor supports DP 1.4 through USB C and according to Wikipedia it’s bandwidth supports a maximum of 4k 120 Hz whilst using DSC.

Using DSC with HBR3 transmission rates, DisplayPort 1.4 can support 8K UHD (7680 × 4320) at 60 Hz or 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) at 120 Hz with 30 bit/px RGB color and HDR.

I don’t see how it pays off.

3 Likes

Our team members who got their hands on the samples described the feel as “smooth.” It feels great!

Yes, it will.

Because DP 1.4 introduces DSC support, which should not be compatible with DP 1.2 devices, I do not expect it to support DSC via DP 1.2. Of course, testing can confirm the real performance.

Its 100W Type-C port should support DSC via DP 1.4 Alt Mode. I need to confirm if the USB bandwidth is shared with the display data bandwidth to see if there is an impact on the bandwidth requirement.

As @darkguy2 has pointed out, it should be perfect for this task. As you can see, it is already on our test list, and we will ensure it works as advertised.

The Spectrum itself will be powered by its external power supply, including a power brick and a wall plug; it can power your MacBook via the 100W Type-C USB Power Delivery.

According to the bandwidth calculator @JayD mentioned a previous post, with DSC, 10bit 4K@144Hz can be achieved via DP 1.4. Some 4K144Hz monitors without HDMI 2.1, such as LG 27GN950, use DP 1.4 (DSC on) to achieve 10bit 4K@144Hz.

4 Likes

I have One feature request that should still be possible:
USB powering, even UDB C 100w power when monitor is off toggle (on/off).

7 Likes

In this case, the devil is in the detail! Both paints are matte. I would say one is fully matte the other one is semi-matte :slight_smile: the idea of having semi-matte is exactly the one of not killing all the details. A tiny bit of gloss (or gloss in general) can help in making the volumes look sharper, and the product look more defined and premium :wink:

6 Likes

Just curious as to whether or not we have any new updates at all? Super pumped to receive the 4k model. YEET

5 Likes

Hardware Unboxed recently mentioned the spectrum in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLloPklznPY. Do you plan on sending them the 1440p 240hz and 4k 144hz preview models? If you weren’t, they’d be the best to send monitors to as I believe they make the best reviews on monitors with extensive testing.

9 Likes

This thread is the most up-to-date update provided by EVE. Considering it was only posted 6 days ago, it’s probably a bit premature for EVE to provide any meaningful update.

5 Likes

Yea I was just curious.

2 Likes