Project: Spectrum | Specs & FAQs

I get that, but that was one of my concerns with the panel they’re using. I’m a fan of HDR, and with HDR you want your brightness (panel lighting, not black level) maxed out. I had hopes with the talk of FALD with this panel, but they’re not going that route. Just take a look at the LG 27GN950-B black uniformity, which is the same panel Eve is using.

3 Likes

I don’t think any monitor without full array local dimming will be good for HDR. IPS is also limited by the contrast ratio inherent to the tech. It is just not going to be as good as a VA panel without FALD, but you will get more accurate colors. OLED is of course the best for HDR, but very rare for monitors and more so for gaming ones. Only one I know of that can qualify is the LG CX 48” at $1500.

4 Likes

Like I said, I had hopes when they were talking about FALD but they opted for edge lit. Bottom edge lit at that. They mention global dimming or 16 zones, most likely it’ll be 16 zones of bottom lit local dimming.

Here’s the panel they’re using from LG in LG’s 27GN950-B, this is also with local dimming…

Here is an example of what you typically get with a bottom lit local dimming, it is still very unclear why LG’s black uniformity is very poor…

If I had to take a guess, the Spectrum will perform very similar to the LG 950

3 Likes

Given that spectrum uses the same LG panel, that would be a pretty safe bet, as IPS glow is greatly influenced by the panel manufacturing process (ie how the layers are assembled, how much pressure is used and how evenly it is applied during assembly and also by the panel frame design)

4 Likes

The panel rtings got had a defect which affected the black uniformity. However, a pretty high percentage of their monitors has the said defect. They have a problem with the sealing if my memories are good. Anyway, Eve is using a different backlight afaik so we can’t really guess the black uniformity whatsoever.

4 Likes

A little while back Eve said they switched back to the LG backlight. I think they are still using a better polarizer.

3 Likes

I expect the 3rd post today as the 2nd one was exactly 2 weeks ago and the 1st one was exactly 4 weeks ago + shipping is in 2 weeks, hope I am right!

4 Likes

Keeping my eyes peeled too, hope there are no further delays but I am getting quite nervous due to lack of updates at what I would have thought would be an update heavy time.
Not sure I can wait until summer (if delays are announced) or later…

3 Likes

I’ve read a few things that where posted somewhere recently; I’m unsure as to the accuracy of the posts. I’m sure we will have more information soon though.

3 Likes