Project: Spectrum | Prototype Repairs & Updates

We’ll take it into account and will share more information about the warranty later.

4 Likes

This is great to see! While I have no technical skills that would enable me to do this the fact things are not locked and soldered in a way that makes user repair impossible.

Prob not entirely planned but looks quite modular and easy to work with.

5 Likes

Thanks for the insight! Never would have thought so much issues could arrise with being able to provide replacement parts.

3 Likes

Having hung a few TVs and monitors now using VESA, it comes down to using the correct screws. According to the videos, it seems as if the Spectrums actually come with their own screws pre-installed in the screw holes, and the metal plate that actually serves as the VESA mount itself underneath the back cover is what actually limits the travel of the shank - the head cannot go any farther than the plate.

However, since there seems to be a part of the plastic back actually in the recessed hold for the VESA mount (see 1:20 to 1:50 of the video above), there is definitely a concern, as if that plastic gets degraded in some manner (or, perhaps, broken off by an overenthusiastic user like myself who always likes to get just that extra little bit of torque on the screw) then it would allow for the shank to travel that much further into the hole. Even if it is only a single mm, that could be devastating.

So, yes, as the monitor ships I doubt there will be an issue if you use the screws that come with the monitor, and even less chance of a PCB strike by the shank of the screw(s) with a mount (as the mount will add greater spacing, limiting shank travel even more). Really, the only things you’ll (possibly) have to be worried about are:

1. If you use a different screw with a longer shank, or
  2. If, after using a mount for some time, you revert to using the stand, and attempt to put the screws back into their respective holes, but the back cover in that recessed area is damaged / degraded / flat-out missing.

Still, though, a ‘cap’ or spacer or divider or something to prevent the screw, any screw, to travel past a certain point would be a really good idea. Not only because of possible PCB damage, but also panel damage.

5 Likes

Nice text. Normaly there is a Stop that you cannot damage the panel with the shipped screws, only if you Use Other, longer or sharped screws like you Said.
But I am also rethinking buying the stand

3 Likes

It’s 120.8mm × 120.8mm × 5.25mm.

It’s not something we plan to work on.

Yes. Spectrum has a metal cover at the end of the four screw holes. See the picture below:

Four screw holes
The tiny hole at the end of the four screw holes is created by a cone-shaped drill that manufactures the screw holes.

Typical 100mm × 100mm VESA mount screws have the same threading as that of Spectrum’s four screws at the back. Therefore, as long as the VESA mount manufacturer sticks with the standard, Spectrum should be compatible with the screws that come with a VESA mount.

11 Likes

I like how all the screws are “of the shelf philips” or “+” ones. Whenever I Open a device And find 4 or 5 different kinds of screw heads not even from the same family and “exotic” ones… Ugh!

Plus the pieces don’t need to come in at weird angles, or are glued, or fused using ultrasounds… very nice.

The whole device is going to get a very good repair score on iFixit for sure.

Good job on the video BTW, you don’t need to be a profesional Youtuber. Ofcourse a Cat appearence would have made it much better. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

That is excellent news. So, unless you really do try to massively over tighten the screws into the mount, you should have 0 issues with the setup. Using standard threading is a big bonus for all the VESA mounts out there that supply their own screws, as well.

Thanks!

4 Likes

These are M4’s correct? Do we know the recommended length? I think 10-12mm is pretty common.

2 Likes

Yes, they’re M4. I have confirmed that 10-12mm is the recommended screw length for connecting a VESA mount to Spectrum.

5 Likes

I’m surprised it’s so easy to open it up. No glue or proprietary screws. I see there are many experts about product repair in this thread, it’s very interesting to see all the details I normally would not consider about this topic. I hope Eve can provide some parts for repair at the users risk, but reading some very detailed comments in this thread I can see the reasons why it might not be very convenient.

9 Likes

One thing to bare in mind is EU/UK customers have just gained the right to repair covering a number of electrical goods which includes monitors. This is only for professional repairers, but does mean that rather than having to ship the monitor out of the country, you can get someone who runs a repair business to fix it as the manufacturer has to provide them with parts and instructions to repair.

Hopefully EVE is well aware of this law and is preparing appropriately.

10 Likes

I actually read a little about that today on the news. Pretty interesting read. I think the example that was given was how washing machines life span could be higher with the right to repair law etc.

5 Likes

Some of the better pieces on this:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/right-to-repair-moves-forward-for-your-broken-devices-but-campaigners-want-to-go-much-further/

New rules introduced March 1 mean that all new washing machines, hairdryers, refrigerators and displays – including televisions – sold in EU countries must be repairable for up to 10 years.

https://ecostandard.org/wp-content/uploads/ECODESIGN-PACKAGE-BRIEFING.pdf

The regulations will now cover TVs, monitors and some signage displays which is a big improvement in terms of coverage scope, and the levels will better reflect market evolution, notably in terms of standby and on mode consumption. The estimated energy savings from this revision amount to 40 TWh per year by 2030, equivalent to powering 10 million electric cars for a year.

In addition, the new legislations include repairability and recyclability requirements, which are urgently needed to reduce the considerable environmental and resource footprint of such electronic devices. A ban on halogenated flame retardants in parts of the products is also included.

Personally, I’m pretty excited about widespread adoption of efficient standby modes.

It looks like the official EU document is this one:

From eur-lex.europa.eu (excerpt)

5. Design for repair and reuse

(1) manufacturers, importers or authorised representatives of electronic displays shall make available to professional repairers at least the following spare parts: internal power supply, connectors to connect external equipment (cable, antenna, USB, DVD and Blue-Ray), capacitors, batteries and accumulators, DVD/Blue-Ray module if applicable and HD/SSD module if applicable for a minimum period of seven years after placing the last unit of the model on the market;

(2) manufacturers, importers or authorised representatives of electronic displays shall make available to professional repairers and end-users at least the following spare parts: external power supply and remote control for a minimum period of seven years after placing the last unit of the model on the market;

(…)

9 Likes

Apparently you also need to keep a copy of the firmware accessible for a long time (same EU document):

From 1 March 2021, the product manufacturer, importer or authorised representative shall make available the information set out below when placing on the market the first unit of a model or of an equivalent model.

The information shall be provided free of charge to third parties dealing with professional repair and reuse of electronic displays (including third party maintenance actors, brokers and spare parts providers).

1. Availability of software and firmware updates

(a) The latest available version of the firmware shall be made available for a minimum period of eight years after the placing on the market of the last unit of a certain product model, free of charge or at a fair, transparent and non-discriminatory cost. The latest available security update to the firmware shall be made available until at least eight years after the placing on the market of the last product of a certain product model, free of charge.

(b) Information on the minimum guaranteed availability of software and firmware updates, availability of spare parts and product support shall be indicated in the product information sheet as from Annex V of Regulation (EU) 2019/2013.

There’s a lot of good stuff in there, like this gem here on notifying the user when e.g. overdrive increases power draw:

2. Forced menu and set up menus

Electronic displays may be placed on the market with a forced menu on initial activation proposing alternative settings. Where a forced menu is provided, the normal configuration shall be set as default choice, otherwise the normal configuration shall be the out-of-the-box setting.

If the user selects a configuration other than the normal configuration and this configuration results in a higher power demand than the normal configuration, a warning message about the likely increase in energy use shall appear and confirmation of the action shall be explicitly requested.

If the user selects a setting other than those that are part of the normal configuration and this setting results in a higher energy consumption than the normal configuration, a warning message about the likely increase in energy consumption shall appear and confirmation of the action explicitly requested.

A change by the user in a single parameter in any setting shall not trigger any change in any other energy-relevant parameter, unless unavoidable. In such a case a warning message shall appear about the change of other parameters and the confirmation of the change shall be explicitly requested.

I figure most of this stuff is part of Eve’s general certification in different markets, hopefully you’ll have it all covered :slight_smile: or face the wrath of EU institutions & residents! (Not myself, I’m just watching from Canada.)

12 Likes

This is very interesting. Just like with the adoption of RoHS, this new right to repair law in the EU will undoubtedly lead to an increase in the cost of goods sold (COGS), which will ultimately lead to higher retail prices (COGS + margin % increase) or require balanced cost reductions in other aspects of the product. Of course, some products just wont be marketed in the EU as a result of this.

5 Likes

The EU is such a big market though. Companies would be missing out on a lot of potential custom; If companies decided not to sell their goods, because the users have a right to repair.

Only time will tell I guess.

I suppose the law probably would dissuade the companies from purposely manufacture tech to break. Looking on the pros side of the law.

4 Likes

Whether it breaks or not is beside the point. Either way, they will face the expenses associated.

2 Likes

You don’t think a user should have the right to repair? I can’t see it affecting prices that much to be honest. We will have to wait and see I guess.

2 Likes

I do think users have a right to repair, but what this law mandates is going well beyond that simple right, it forces companies to maintain an orderable repair parts inventory (and all the supporting infrastructure) for a lot longer than the warranty period. That doesn’t happen for free.

I also think this sort of thing hampers start ups and favors the mega-corporations that can absorb/spread out the costs more readily.

8 Likes