Project: Spectrum | Packaging Evolved

Of course, manufacturing the monitors through a company such as EVE is a necessary evil when it comes to sustainability given that they most likely don’t have what’s needed to make the product itself 100% ethical/sustainable. This doesn’t mean that we can’t try and push for it.

As people have pointed out on here, the sustainability aspect here boils down to sustainability. The people want to know if they can recycle their packaging, eliminate the need for EPE and any form of plastics and generally have a small but worthwhile change to the design so that it’s more environmentally friendly.

This isn’t a great argument considering you’re not buying the spectrum to move it around in it’s packaging box.

My two cents:
Monitors, like desktops and the like, are usually stationary and are set up in a space for long times. If you’re constantly moving then I’d suggest investing in a proper case (trust me, you’ll look much more professional than having a cardboard box with a sweet plastic handle)

6 Likes

if I fly, but mostly its driving around and I just don’t use “travel” stuff for that. My current monitors box is beat to hell, no handle, but very easy to put and take out. I know one weird use is not a trend, but it is super useful to me to have an easy to reuse box for electronics.

2 Likes

I will fashion my own handle and will use box for intended purpose or repurpose.

2 Likes

Will most likely keep the box during the warranty period.

And a slight redesign of the packaging would eliminate the need of a plastic handle.

3 Likes

I always keep the boxes of high-end stuff, ideal if you need to transport it for whatever reason.

2 Likes

If I’m being honest, the only time I’ll more than likely reuse the packaging is if I’m moving, or when I’m selling the monitor when the spectrum II, comes out! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have used plastic handles on multiple monitor boxes and I have to say: It’s 100% worth the extra cost/materials. I’ve had to transport different monitors in a variety of boxes. Hands down the boxes with the added plastic handle are much easier and safer to transport. It’s not a critical box feature by any means, but I would use it extensively over the monitor’s lifespan.

7 Likes

It’s important to remember that just because we do things our own way and have our own preferences and are around people who do and act similar doesn’t always mean that the majority would do it or have it your way, with our without the handle. Plastic can be recycled just as cardboard and other things can. The purpose is to have the ability to hold the box and transport it in the safest and easiest way to prevent accidents that could in itself cause waste when having to ship it back and forth, repair or replace, etc. I most likely won’t have to use the handle once I open the box and setup my monitor but I fortunate enough to not have to move for living or work, but with the pandemic, nothing is certain. Basically it comes down to this: I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

5 Likes

Well said. We must not forget that the primary purpose of the packaging is to protect the monitor during shipping. Everything else is secondary and should not infringe on the primary purpose.

5 Likes

No need for plastic handels or even paint on the box. Buying a new monitor is enough harm to the environment.

2 Likes

I rent and move around every 1-2 years, I still have my computer case box and monitor box for protecting them in transit.

4 Likes

Great work on trying to be sustainable with the Spectrum’s packaging. I love seeing its development. I would like to see the plastic handle. I know it’ll add plastic and price to the package. I like to hold onto my boxes for transporting my monitors from my home and office or to other locations. I do it about 5 times a year, but find the original manufacturer’s package to offer the best protection.

4 Likes

I will be packing up and moving my spectrum quite a bit. I move my gaming setup often, I pack up my pc, my PS4, and my monitor, load them in my car, and drive 1-2 hours with it just to unpack it for the weekend, pack it back up, and then unpack it again when I get home. I currently just throw a blanket over my monitor to keep it from getting scratched. Having a re-useable package would benefit me greatly. I use the original boxing for my oculus rift when I need to pack that up as well, and it is awesome to have, everything fits nice and it has a convenient handle. I am hoping the spectrum will be the same.

3 Likes

I appreciate the inclusion on this. And I do like to keep the box around for ease when moving. I at least used to move fairly frequently (it has been a bit) so I like keeping it around.

2 Likes

I don’t see myself using the box much. I have some monitor bags for if I need to move it like I have my current monitors.

2 Likes

I do save my monitor boxes, but rarely actually use them. I’m fine without a proper handle. I’d probably hold the box from the bottom anyway, so that the hole doesn’t need to carry the whole weight of the monitor. If the monitor and box was bigger (like 32"), then it would be different, and I’d want to at least have holes on the sides.

2 Likes