Project: Spectrum | OSD and Firmware Improvements

Spectrum supports storing a lookup table (LUT) calibration profile in its firmware, which will be used to store the correction values from factory calibration. Spectrum requires a specialized tool and compatible software from the chip manufacturer to adjust this LUT. User-upgrade firmware allows us to release a new firmware file that can be flashed onto the monitor to replace the previous version; however, it cannot enable the communication between the hardware LUT and a user calibration tool.

Based on my current understanding, to allow user hardware calibration, Spectrum requires software to communicate between the hardware LUT and the many calibration tools a user may have. This is not something we plan to work on. However, we are looking into the possibility of open-source firmware support, which may allow power users to have more control over how Spectrum communicates with a calibration tool.

7 Likes

Just wondering because I can’t find it anywhere, will this screen work with a macbook via usb-c?

2 Likes

It should work fine I think, previous messages in other topics explained that the team is testing diverse setups with spectrum. I guess we will hear more once the final tests are complete

2 Likes

(Thanks, @Pollux161!)

On top of what was said, upcoming Spectrum compatibility tests will cover multiple MacBooks, including the latest M1 MacBook Air.

5 Likes

Look forward to seeing how it performs with Macs, my Apple sanctioned LG Ultrafine 5K is actually a bit of a pain with my Mac mini (Intel).

Will also be interested to see how it performs in eGPU set ups (happy to assist there… :wink:)

3 Likes

The Crosshair style has not been confirmed yet; we are aware that a simple dot in the middle is the most popular request in the community so far and will take it into account when we decide on it.

5 Likes

I see, thanks for clarifying.

3 Likes

Building on my other post regarding EU regulations, would it be possible to show the estimated power draw (in Watt) of display modes when switching between them? Instead of just showing the “higher power demand than the normal configuration” (which seems mandatory now? or maybe I’m misreading the text), I think it would be neat to have an idea how much power is being drawn at 60 Hz, 144 Hz, at different overdrive settings if that makes a measurable difference, or at various levels of brightness.

Bright, high-res, high-frequency monitors like the Spectrum will at full function naturally suck more power than an entry-level 1080p @ 60Hz monitor, as evidenced by the external power brick. It would be neat to have an approximate insight into how much power one could save by switching to a different preset. Perhaps this will be part of the spec sheet, having it integrated in the OSD would rock though. Personally, I’m hoping to switch between a basic work/casual preset, which will hopefully limit power draw as well, and a gaming preset which can be a little wasteful for a few hours but that’s okay.

5 Likes

This sounds a very interesting functionality. My guess is that the team must be under a lot of pressure to finalize the firmware before the deadline, meaning adding such a setting could become difficult, but if the firmware becomes open-source, who knows, maybe the community could come up with such a functionality…

4 Likes

Yep, definitely a nice-to-have rather than a hard requirement. I figure they have enough on their plate to just finish the specified functionality and pass all the various certifications (VRR and regulatory).

4 Likes

Sorry if I’ve missed it but any progress on hdmi 2.1 working with next gen consoles? That’s my only use for the monitor and eager to hear how that it’s working and with 120fps

Cheers

5 Likes

Any news on my suggestion of an “instant standby” feature? :slight_smile:

It’s really important to not have a “no signal” screen, but rather just the image with an instant standby off/on, just like Apple’s displays!

8 Likes

Please @Lore_Wonder can you give me / the rest of the community some short yes/no if a instant standby feature will be part of Spectrum’s capabilities? Thanks! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes, agreed. The “No Signal” screen or a blue screen or whatever the standard color is for the background should be avoided if it can be. It is such an annoyance to have one of those pop-up when getting ready to go to bed and this just comes up upon computer shut-down.

5 Likes

Hey, @MJ! It will be a nice feature to have on Spectrum! We’ll look into the possibility of implementing instant standby later down the line.

3 Likes

I don’t know if anyone has spoken about this but are Eve planning on adding OSD Gaming Presets Setting in one of the Firmware updates?

I mainly play FPS games and have had a FPS preset for every monitor i’ve brought. I would like the same with the spectrum.

Saves me time messing around with the settings and looking at youtube videos.

1 Like

Hey, @MarvyMarvz!

Would you like to tell us more about what is an FPS preset and how it helps you win? It sounds like something to do with locking the refresh rate. To our understanding, the monitor refresh rate is determined by the source device and not in control of the monitor.

1 Like

Just wondering why I can’t display the framerate counter and crosshair dot on screen at the same time? It’s one or the other unfortunately.

Also is it normal for all of the ‘picture’ options to be inaccessible besides ‘sharpness’ when using the monitor with a ps5? Maybe this is because I’ve only used it with ps4 games so far? (not next gen games). This also goes for the ‘performance’ features, the only things I can change are the ‘response time over drive’ and turn adaptive sync on/off.
Cheers

1 Like

Sounds like you have HDR turned on. HDR necessitates the removal of various options to process the image correctly, although I believe they’re looking into what can be allowed to change.

1 Like

Hi @Lore_Wonder

It’s more of a picture mode where it changes the visual settings depending on what you are using your monitor for.

Please see below example of one of the monitors I have.

2 Likes