Project: Spectrum | How To Update The Firmware

it will have contact us / Downloads. Click on Downloads. you will then be able to download the latest firmware 104.

1 Like

my bad. thx. can i go straight from 101 to 104?

yes. you can go straight to firmware 104 and not having to worry about downloading firmware 102.

1 Like

So ps5 cable works? Does it have to go in the back of PC? I was putting it in my top ports but will try directly into mobo tomorrow

Done. Didnt encounter any problems

1 Like

Do you think they will update the FW so we can get 160Hz refresh rate. They use the same panels as the LG which can go 160Hz

Now all that is left is for you to do some minor calibration and adjustments to your liking. No they have stated they aren’t able to increase the Hz any further.

1 Like

Where can I find the optimal calibration settings?

i use windows calibration setting to make some adjustments. also by clicking on the joystick behind the monitor you will be able to open the on screen command. Go into picture setting and you can change the sharpness and brightness to your liking.

1 Like

To add to @LoneWolf 's reply, when I first connected my spectrum to the PC the picture was quite yellow compared to my other monitor but I adjusts the user defined Gama settings to get them in line. Strangely though that was in SDR, when I switched the monitor to HDR in windows the picture changed to pretty much match my new settings so I’ve just left it in HDR full time now. It’s very off topic for this thread but I’d be interested in other people’s experience or SDR and HDR calibration out of the box if there’s any topic on here about it that people have started?

HDR colors look washed out to me…any settings recommendations?

well you can on nvidia control panel you can change color settings like so.

or calibrate display color to help reduce the wash out look. Unfortunately HDR does tend to make some color look washed out.

1 Like

Here is my fix for the D03 enabling HDR mode in Windows 10 with bad colors (@Lore_Wonder ). While W10 is really not meant to be used in HDR mode for anything other than consuming HDR content - games with native HDR support, Netflix W10 store app, Youtube HDR videos, media you have recorded/encoded in HDR, etc. - it should still be closer to normal colors than not.

The TLDR fix if broken - change color output mode after enabling HDR mode from your current setting, to a different one, then change it back. For Nvidia this is under Resolution, section 3.

Here are three photos taken from my phone showing my D03 with normal SDR, HDR bad and HDR better*.

*I say better because W10 is really not ideal to leave in HDR mode outside of using it for HDR content. You can see image 1 and image 3 are not the same color rendering.

W11 supposedly provides automatic SDR>HDR tone mapping and will likely improve this situation. Personally I highly suggest not being in HDR mode unless you are actually using it. There is no real advantage to computing (gaming or otherwise) in HDR mode for SDR content and the D03 disables many of it’s tweakable options in the OSD while in HDR mode. You are giving up the displays very decent calibration in SDR mode.

Longer explanation of this fix as well as tool to make this all MUCH easier to fix.

When HDR mode is enabled in Windows 10 via the Display Settings>Use HDR toggle it frequently handshakes with the D03 in some form of incorrect mode/color mode. This is not normal but at least for now is a quirk of the D03/Firmware. Sometimes this results in dull colors (my second photo above), other times (rarer now in 104) it flat out has zero colors. This black and white issue also occurs occasionally on consoles and streaming devices (my AppleTv4k is the worst offender of this).

The most obvious fix to this is simply enable/disable/enable/disable the HDR toggle in Windows and hope the screen/computer will finally handshake correctly. I have mixed results with this especially if I’m stuck in black and white HDR mode.

A more consistent fix (at least on my system running an Nvidia 3080) is to swap color output modes (I default RGB/10bpc). This can be done in the NV control panel under Resolution in section 3. Use Nvidia color settings.

For me this means the following steps:

1. Enable HDR mode in Windows “Display Settings” (right click desktop)>Use HDR.
  2. If bad color/no color then open NV Control panel
  3. Change to resolution tab
  4. change color output from current setting to different value.
  5. Hit Apply, monitor flickers (colors usually correctly now).
  6. Toggle value back to what I prefer.
  7. Hit Apply. Monitor flickers and remains correct.

Enjoy HDR content.

A far faster/easier method is to use a tool I found on github called HDR Switch.

This tool allows us to:

1. Toggle HDR mode on/off from the taskbar and
  2. Toggle the Output Color format from the taskbar to quickly fix if bad colors

The procedure for me to fix the dull/no color is as follows

1. Load HDR Switch (I don’t keep it running until I intend to use HDR mode)
  2. Right click the taskbar icon>HDR Mode

If your colors look nearly the same as in SDR mode, you are done (Windows correctly swapped modes, happy dance).

1. If your colors are dull change to a different color output format (when the tool first loads it doesn’t have a check next to your current setting).

In my case I use RGB10bpc as my default(NV Control panel>Resolution) so I first change to RGB 8 bit.

1. The D03 will flicker as it changes modes and usually now displays good colors.
  2. Change back to your desired output mode (RGB 10bit for me)
  3. D03 will flicker as it changes back, good colors should remain.

Having a desktop with colors you know in SDR is an easy way to see when things change from good to bad to good. My example images above are clear examples of how I quickly know it is ok.

One final setting that should be setup is defining your SDR brightness level in “Windows HD Color” settings (within Display Settings or can be searched for directly in Start menu). This is Windows 10 attempt to map similar SDR content brightness levels while in HDR mode (aka all of Windows and any SDR content). It actually translates pretty close to the OSD brightness values. Meaning a 15 on the Windows slider is close to 15 on the OSD brightness (while in SDR mode).

This change happens in real time so you can establish whatever level you find comfortable. You can even have youtube open and see it working as expected. Meaning if you have an SDR video open, the slider will affect its brightness. If you have an HDR video open you’ll see it not change the video at all.

4 Likes

Not sure if posted here or not but I struggled with the joystick controls on the monitor. I kept clicking it in as if it was enter but in fact it’s just OSD on and off. Right is enter. Just an FYI for anyone as dumb as I am.

I just had the identical adventure.

W10 wierdness.

Night lite turned on and one screen was way more amber than the other. ( have 2x 4k ones, just showed up today)